1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Houston Press] Sports talk radio stations fight for listeners in Houston

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Faos, Jul 8, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

2. DreamRoxCoogFan

we have four? dang.

kilt- ok but shuffling too much after john and lance bolted

kbme- really really bad, but worth listening to from 3-7 (CP all the way)

97.5- nice sound quality, but who cares?

1560- not on yet (obviously) but still strange... i know they have paki/indian programming on there, i guess they wont anymore?

either way- im starting to lose interest in sports radio... too much trash.

john mcclain isnt worth talking to about anything except football. the sooner he and KILT realize this, the better it is for everyone. davies and dukes is horrible.

and most importantly- dallas SUCKS. no matter how much $$ they make :cool:

3. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

i miss john and lance :(

4. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

This was a sidebar to the main article:

http://www.houstonpress.com/2007-06-28/news/jock-radio-no-call-list/

Jock Radio: No-Call List
    What sports talk can do without

By Richard Connelly
    Published: June 28, 2007

The sports-talk radio world thrives on repetition — the audience is constantly churning (a listener who stays tuned for 30 minutes is considered gold), there's a limited amount of subjects, there are callers who somehow think they have something new to say about a subject that's been discussed ad nauseam.

If ever there was a Commissioner of Houston Sports-Talk Radio, he would issue a fiat immediately banning the following:

1. "How you guys doin'?"

Sports-talk hosts are, apparently, the single most frail and vulnerable group on the planet. Their physical or mental health appears to be a constant, pressing concern among their listeners, because every single ******* caller into a show feels the need to inquire as to how the hosts are possibly coping in this vale of tears. "On the one hand, you sometimes want to scream by the end of the show that 'I am fine, for crying out loud,'" says one host. "On the other, it's just people being polite."

2. The guy with the impossible trade.

He doesn't care that there are salary caps in the NBA or the NFL. He's not bothered by the fact that it takes two teams to make a trade, and the Yankees might just not be interested in giving up A-Rod for Morgan Ensberg and Adam Everett. He's got a solution to his team's problem, and if those in power would just listen to him everything would be fine. "The 'How about if we pile up all our crap and trade it for their All-Star' call is an occupational hazard, but still annoying," says a host.

3. Vince Young, Vince Young, Vince Young.

Let the word go forth from this time and place, as JFK said in his inaugural address: We, meaning sports-talk listeners in Houston, are aware of the existence of a quarterback who played for UT, who could have been drafted by the Texans and who had a pretty good rookie season. We are aware that Texans QB David Carr failed to win games that Vince Young apparently would have dominated like Joe Montana playing against Beeville High School. We believe the subject has been thoroughly discussed, and we await with dread the 2007 NFL season if VY starts hot and Matt Schaub starts cold. You, caller, do not have a new take on the situation.

4. Why don't you cover the University of Houston more?

Because — and this may be hard to understand — No One Cares. Yes, we know they just had a great season and can play some entertaining ball. And that there are a lot of UH alumni in town. But UH is to UT, in terms of football interest, what Basic Instinct 2 is to Pirates of the Caribbean in terms of movie interest. So if you want to call in and talk UH football, fine, but don't include a whining complaint that no one ever talks about UH football on the air. Even if that is apparently a mandated part of every call about UH football.

5. Howard from Memorial.

Anyone who listens to local sports-talk radio has heard "Howard from Memorial," a doctor with a lot of free time on his hands. In a nasal Noo Yawk accent, he compares every current Houston team, unfavorably, to a legendary New York team from the past. If you want to hear how Jeff Bagwell is no Gil Hodges, Howard from Memorial is your go-to guy. He cycles through shows so he eventually shows up everywhere. Which means you get to hear a whole lot of different hosts try to suppress that certain sigh in their voice as they give in and announce, "Up next, Howard from Memorial." It's a Houston thing, but that doesn't make it a good Houston thing.
    Write Your Comment

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

that was a pretty good column. I'm surprised they didn't mention 97.5's local show.

6. WildSweet&Cool

I called into a sports talk radio show a couple of times, and I have to say...

...it felt like a complete waste of my time. I didn't learn anything new or gain any fresh perspective from the radio guys. Similarly, the rude and inconsiderate radio people seemed to to have absolutely no care as to what I had to say (and I tried very hard not to be a stereotypical stupid caller).

Afterwards, I just felt like I had wasted time listening to the show, and waiting to call in. Since then, I neither listen or call.

Has that happened to any of you guys?

7. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

these pretty much sum of clutchfans these days...except for number 4. hell, i'm a UH alumni and even i understand why they don't talk about UH.

8. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Why bother? Rather than stay on hold forever waiting for a radio jock to take my call, I could post my question to an online sports forum in a fraction of the time. Plus, using the Internet, I'll most likely get the same quality (if not better) answer than I would if, oh, say, Richard Justice took my call on the radio.

9. WildSweet&Cool

I agree. After calling in once or twice, I don't understand why ANYONE would want to call in to a radio station.

10. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

you get a lot more insight on clutchfans for sure.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Very good write-up. Maybe 97.5 could be put to sleep so espn radio could go to another station. Looks like AM610 and AM790 aren't going anywhere and who knows how this KILE experiment will work out. If Granato and "guy talk" dominate it I will never listen.

12. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Anyone catch the new lineup today on 790?

Mornings - Dukes and Davis
    10-11 - Craig Roberts
    11-3 Lopez Daluca
    3-7 Pallilo

They gave Roberts a show and added an extra hour for Lopez. I like the Monsters of the Midday show. Good energy, although I think they do a little too much "what is your favorite____________?" talk.

13. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

:eek: :D

I see someone took my advice on hiring Hit...errr...Roberts to do a radio segment. I told Chance to do it a few months back, but I guess 790 is in more of an 'experimental' phase to try and see what works.

You can count on me to give CR a few tries, I used to be a big fan back in his KPRC Ch. 2 days...

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

well I'm a dork who calls in about once a month, you can tell by my post count I have an opinion on everything.

anyway my favorite call in moment, when palilo, whom I like, was still on 610, mcclain was talking about steve mcnair and chris chandler when the titans went to the superbowl. mcclain was talking about how chandler didn't want to help mcnair become a better qb, kind of understandable since they were competitors for the same job.

anyway mcclain goes off on how chandler was arrogant, and condescending and thought he was smarter than everyone else. I had already been on hold so when they came to me I say, "john, you sure that qb wasn't named charlie palilo". I've honestly never heard charlie so upset, and he didn't say anything in response, only "right back at you bud" when I hung up.

15. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Agreed completely. The only other thing I dislike about that show is the sheer volume of repetition when it comes to the phone number and info about the website/blog. Do they have a quota or something? They must mention the blog every 3 minutes and repeat the phone number 1000 times in a single broadcast.

Other than that, I actually like the show even though I almost always disagree with Lopez.

16. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

With 4 Stations, I'm sure one of them can have a Clutchfans radio show. C'mon tinman, I'd listen to you.

17. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

That was you??!!!! :eek: ;)

18. conquistador#11

You don't enjoy his moview reviews and his thoughts on the film industry? :D

19. moonnumack

moonnumack Contributing Member

Unfortunately, the introduction of 3 new sports stations to 610 has only served to dilute the quality of the sports talk shows. I think a little sports radio contraction is in order.
    CP is obviously the best host we have.
    I think Lance Z is a strong #2 and I hope he comes back to the morning soon because Marc & Andre just aren't cutting it.
    Matt Jackson is solid and fine in his slot in the afternoon.
    I actually like Teddy D's enthusiasm and comments.
    Pretty much everyone else stinks, esp. Davies & Lopez.

20. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I love Charlie's show, especially back when he co-hosted on 610, but that is freaking HILARIOUS :D