1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tankers rejoice!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ZRB, Mar 23, 2002.

1. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Well, that was a right jolly good time. Obviously it was well worth the price of admission to see such a comedy show put on by the Rockets. I've had a great time at games before, but this blew all that away.

The first quarter was incredible. The Rockets actually led for a while at 4-3. That was incredible fun. I knew I was in for a great time when they converted that alley-oop. At least they had the lead.

Then the rest of the quarter continued. That defense was so spectacularly bad, I almost laughed out loud. 36-21 was the score after one.

That second quarter was classic. 25-13 was the Sonics' run. I couldn't believe that the Rockets played so many close games all season, only to save that 27 point halftime deficit masterpiece just for me. Four months I have been looking forward to this game, and that's what I get, a 61-34 halftime score. Brilliant.

The third quarter was fantastically entertaining. The Rockets actually had some great stretches, and cut the lead down to 18. Then, they forgot how to rebound, and were destroyed by superstar Pedrag Drobnjack.

That fourth quarter was amazingly sad. They basically gave the fans chalupas, and seemed to want the margin of defeat to reach an even thirty. They got their wish.

Well, I've seen just about enough of Brown, Langhi, and Collier. I don't know why everyone is so desperate to see these guys play. They're crap. GARBAGE! They are young, but not talented. Playing these guys is nothing more than tanking, because they are not going to develop into good players. They are awful- atrocious- simply terrible.

I was so excited when I saw Steve come out for warm-ups. Earlier on it seemed that he wasn't going to play. It felt so good to see him out there. Then the game happened. I wish he had just taken the evening off. Then there would have been an excuse for this atrocity.

Sometimes, I wonder why I am a fan of this team. For so long, I looked forward to this game, only to be treated to a thirty point ass-whooping. Then, I remember the great games they've won. The first game I attended, last year's Portland game, the Indiana 3OT, the Minnesota comeback, the Steve three against Utah... The two titles... Countless playoff thrillers...

In a few days, I'll be ordering tickets for the Portland game on April 17th. That's the kind of Rockets fan I am. Moments after a blowout loss, and I'm already planning a trip to go and see them play.

Please, don't question my "fan-ship" again. I stayed for the entire game, if you can call that a game, while watching other Rockets fans walk out. I stayed and cheered until the end of a 30 point loss, because when it comes down to it, I love the Rockets.

See you in Portland guys...

2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You, ZRB, who continue to be pessimistic and constantly negative towards the Rockets throughout this season and others deserve every bit of this pathetic Rockets game. Knowing the suffering that this miserable 48 minutes of basketball is causing you is one of the few joys that the Rockets have given me this year.

;)

#2 RunninRaven, Mar 23, 2002
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2002
  3. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

ZRB is the man.

His sarcastic post made me crack up.

:D

4. Shooter1583

Shooter1583 Member

I agree with the fact that Rudy T should stop giving time to Collier, Langhi and Brown. They do suck. It is clear that they are not any part of the Rockets' future. They have been given opportunities to show what they can do, and only Collier has done anything. Right now, Torres looks like a real player so Rudy T should be developing him as much as he can. Maybe Collier has SOME game but as far as Langhi and Brown? They're not gonna be here next year. And all this comparing Langhi to Tom Chambers and Larry Bird stuff really needs to stop...Chambers probably has scored as many points in one game as Langhi has in his whole sorry career. Langhi has shown NO 3-point range in the games and he misses all the WIDE OPEN 18-footers that he gets. Oh, yeah, sounds like Chambers to me.

5. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

6. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

LOL! :D

ZRB, you crack me up man. Thanks for representin' and staying the whole game though. Your #2 Sonics looked like a real playoff team last night. Of course, they had 60 points in the paint against our ugly front line, which they won't get to take advantage of come postseason.

You're right about Langhi, Collier, and TB. Langhi is horrible and erratic, TB looks like a highschool freshman playing varsity, and Collier can't catch, run, or jump high enough to rebound. OK, you say, BLOCK OUT!, then, bu even if he tries, the other big (or small) man just jumps over him!

Unless Collier comes to training camp next year in unbelievable shape, it's time to cut him.

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I hate tanking. But the Rockets have lost the heart to play and that is extremely disappointing.

8. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

Did TB play last night? I havent seen him out their for a couple of games.

9. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

The power of the tank is mightier than the whiney wah!

10. drpepper

drpepper Member

Rudy didn't have a choice in this one. We got outplayed, outhustled, and out-D in this one. But I'm glad it happened to prove to some fans that we do need help in several positions. They were playing with playoff intensity and we couldn't begin to comprehend what thats like with the group that was out there.

Our team basically consists of two PGs that think they're 2's, a backup PG that thinks he's a star, an undersized 4, a sub par 5 that plays D with his 2 feet flat on the ground and a full stock of IR. Go Rockets!

11. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I think that there is a reason to play those guys - to rest your starters. Why risk injuring one of your franchise (or at least main players) at the end of a meaningless season. Just split up the time and get this fleabag of a season over with.

By the way, ZRB, there were some in chat last night who were convinced you were going to run on the court and start freaking out at some point last night.

:D

12. Timing

Timing Member

LMAO! :D

13. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

There you have it. Not 24 hours after that massacre, and I already purchased tickets to the Portland game. What kind of fan am I? Insane. I've got to get my personal Rockets record back to .500. 2-3 isn't good enough.

14. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Well, that's great. As soon as the Sonics thrash the Rockets, they lose to Denver. Makes last night seem even worse...

15. lpbman

lpbman Member

last in assists, last in defense

ladies and gentlemen, it's not tanking
    it's loosing.

I know you can make the injury argument, but just how good was rice supposed to be? Wouldn't you say MoT was more than adequately replaced this season?

My question is this

You all watched Steve and Cat play, the improvements to Kenny and Griff's flashes of brilliance...

If the team returns intact next year, give or take a walt or langhi
    are we a playoff team??

16. edc

edc Contributing Member

What are we going to do when ZRB makes good on his pledge? ;)

17. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

last in assists, last in defense

ladies and gentlemen, it's not tanking
    it's loosing.

Damn that's really depressing to think about.

I know you can make the injury argument, but just how good was rice supposed to be? Wouldn't you say MoT was more than adequately replaced this season?

No. Mo brings mo sco. Mo and Eddie/Kenny are very different players. Don't know 'bout GR.

My question is this

You all watched Steve and Cat play, the improvements to Kenny and Griff's flashes of brilliance...

If the team returns intact next year, give or take a walt or langhi
    are we a playoff team??

Yes. If we add Odom, Woods, or Lewis.

I'm salivating:

C-Kelvin Cato
    PF-Eddie Griffin
    SF-Lamar Odom
    SG-Cuttino Mobley
    PG-Steve Francis

Sans injuries, that's a playoff team, folks.

18. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I can feel that squad. I think we need a player like Odom until Griffin is able to bring it, then we'll have 4 legit players to spread and score and run the court, instead of 1 or 2 with everyone out of their range. If I could get Odom, I would do it plus the fact he's 22 or 23.He may cost the Rockets their pick and maybe 50 mil, but its money better spent than on Taylor or Cato. I just hate to give a team like the Clippers more firepower(a draft pick) to get him. The team is talented enough as it is.

19. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

If next year's Rockets team is not in the playoffs, then some serious Rudy-firing needs to take place.

Francis and Mobley will be back. Eddie Griffin will have a year of experience, and hopefully add a bit of bulk over the summer. Mo Taylor will return to provide more scoring. Glen Rice will at least be a good shooter off the bench. Kenny Thomas will likely be back, and he is just a better free throw percentage away from being a 20 ppg scorer. In addition, the Rockets will likely add either a top-7 lottery pick, or a solid veteran through trade.

If Francis is healthy, next year's team MUST be playoff bound.

20. solid

solid Contributing Member

I agree, next year the Rockets MUST be a playoff team. If not, they will be renamed the Rockettes, will be coached by former Oiler Bill Peterson, and will be required to play in Delmar Stadium. They will then be humilitated in their first game by the Little Sisters of the Poor before a crowd of four people, ZRB, Jeff, Crispee, and DaDakota.

#20 solid, Mar 24, 2002
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2002