1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone have a Honda Element?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VooDooPope, Jun 12, 2007.

Tags:
  1. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I'm thinking of getting rid of my 05 MINI Cooper S because I need more room for my 2 kids and stuff when we go out of town. I don't want a decrease in gas mileage and I want to stay in the ~$20,000 range so I've been looking at the Honda Element.

Anyone have one know anyone who does? Thanks.

2. supafrumpy

supafrumpy Contributing Member

suicide doors + kids? hmm....

3. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

I would honestly go with the Nissan Murano, but thats just me. Beautiful vehicle, very safe, a big decrease in gas mileage Im sure, but just pick what specifics that matter to you.

4. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

They start at $28,000 - $32,000 depending on which variant you want. I can get a Element for $18,000 - $23,000.

Ten grand is ten grand.

5. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

How about a base model Hyundai Tucson or Toyota RAV4 with a 4 cylinder engine?

6. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Ford Escape and Saturn Vue are around the same range. Much more practical choices than the Element with its ridiculous doors.

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

My parents have an Element -- they love it -- I think it's a really great little suv thing. From what i've seen and heard from my folks I highly recommend getting one.

8. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

One of my friends has the Honda Element and he loves it. While not the prettiest car I've ever seen, the interior is extremely spacious and is of a nice build. Two drawbacks for me are the looks and the fact that the Element only has a two person backseat, but those things aren't a big deal to everyone.

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Yeah, but those are made in America. :D

Btw - the Element's doors are awesome great for loading stuff.

10. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

One thing I find cool about my girlfriend's mother's Element is that it is all rubberized on the inside. You could open both doors up wide and hose out the entire thing and have no worries.

11. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Possibly one of the ugliest things I have ever seen.

Except maybe Brad Lidge's pitching right now.

12. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

My mother has one. Yeah it's ugly (which is the source of much of my humor at her expense) but it does not lack room for passengers of cargo. The suicide doors aren't a big deal since the back doors can only be opened if the front door is opened first (at least that's how hers is, I don't know if they changed it for newer models) and the back seats are hooked up in an awkward position when not in use (again, the may have changed that). Despite that, she loves it and it's given her no problems in the several years that she's had it.

13. Souprocket

Souprocket Contributing Member

Quite the coincidence. I have an 05 Element that I am looking to get rid of and buy a Mini cooper. Wanna trade?

14. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

sounds like a great car, but i wish it didnt look like a box with wheels

15. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Hmmm. Why are you looking to get rid of it?

16. cson

cson Contributing Member

They are ugly in a fugly-con-hipster way.

I too have friends that love their Elements. Great for kids I bet. Buy it!

17. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

he previously mentioned in another thread that he bought the car at a government auction and had apparently been getting threatening phone calls from the ex-owner of the vehicle. You might wanna think twice before trading with him, sounds kinda shady...

18. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ever consider a Mazda3? its still not that big but the hatchback has decent space. Im unfamiliar with the tribute, but i know its cheaper. or you could go for the MazdaSpeed3...bang for your buck, in terms of performance, i dont know if there is anything better in its class.

19. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

Forget the kids.

Buy a Harley and disappear.

20. Souprocket

Souprocket Contributing Member

I bought the vehicle for much the same reason you explained...kids. I took them with me to look at cars and they really loved it, so I was sold. It is perfect for kids, the rubber floors, roomy in the back. The Back seat sits up a bit so they have a clear view of everything, easy for them to get in and out of. They have loved it.

The only reason I want to get rid of it is that I don't have them very often and I want something with a little kick. I am a single father so I only have them every other weekend and wednesday's. We don't travel that much so there is really no reason to keep it.

It has been a good vehicle though. No problems at all.