1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dentists on here?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Pharaoh King, Feb 2, 2012.

1. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I work 1 or 2 Fridays a month, so you're safe. :)

Ima, I'll meet you in a back alley near my office for the exchange.

2. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

Braces? What's the price range on braces?

3. Hicklander

Hicklander Contributing Member

So when I call how do I make sure the appt is with you and how do I make sure o get the nitrous?

4. rezdawg

We dont do conventional braces at our office. We do Invisalign at ~$2500 per arch, so usually $5000 total.

Either contact me through the board or at westhoustondentistry@gmail.com. Give me your contact info and I will have someone from the office contact you on Monday. We have hygienists that do the cleanings typically, unless you have a preference for me to do it.

5. rezdawg

Ferrari, I got your message, but Im not able to message you back, via email or through the board. You can email me at westhoustondentistry@gmail.com and I'd be happy to answer your questions.

1 person likes this.
  6. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Will do. Thx man.

7. gatsby

gatsby Member

Does this actually work? You've got me thinking!

8. VanityHalfBlack

Root Canal is a b****... Not going through that pain again...

9. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

a video I came across. I dont know what to believe...and I have had a root canal done before. :(

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oYbOvx54OOs?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oYbOvx54OOs?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

10. rezdawg

It varies from patient to patient. The majority will definitely get whiter, but there are a few that dont get the results they expected. A lot of it has to do with diet, how much enamel the patient has, etc... All in all, the laser whitening is definitely the best method for whitening.

11. rezdawg

You shouldnt be experiencing any pain during the root canal...In fact, we always tell patients that the hardest part is keeping your mouth open for that long. There may be some soreness for a day or two after, but very minimal and almost to the point where it shouldnt even be noticeable.

12. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Sent ya an email.

13. rezdawg

Wow, I honestly dont even know where to begin with this...I stopped watching a few minutes into it because the information given is suspect, at best. I'll touch on a few points.

First, I dont know why he would bring up experiments that took place over 100 years ago. We knew more about transplanting organs back then than we knew about teeth. There has been such an evolution in standard of care, materials, instruments, etc... There is absolutely no point in bringing up something from those times because they are pretty much irrelevant today.

He also speaks about how chronic degenerative diseases can originate from root filled teeth and how that leads to heart and circulatory disease. This comment is what led me to just stop the video because I realized it was pointless to keep listening. The only thing he has right is that oral conditions do lead to heart and circulatory disease...the comparison with a root filled tooth is absolutely absurd. Let me explain.

Teeth have roots. Within these roots, there are canals that support the blood and nerve supply of the tooth. When a root canal is performed, these canals are cleaned and filled. The majority of the time, # of roots = # of canals...however, there are many instances where this isn't the case. For instance, mandibular molars (bottom molars) have two roots, yet you will see 4 canals on your bottom first molars, sometimes. This is where the problem is...many dentists will do the root canal, they will find not 2, but 3 canals, and think they've completed treatment. They send the patient home with 1 canal that hasn't been treated and still has bacteria riding inside the tooth. Any problems the patient may experience are the result of an inefficient root canal...it has nothing to do with the root canal procedure, and more to do with the dentist performing the root canal. Not that this happens often, but probably in about 5-10% of the cases. Now, thats not to say that a poorly done root canal is the fault of the dentist...there are so many factors at play that these things happen. Just like when a plastic surgeon performs a terrible nose job or an orthopedic surgeon doesnt fuse broken bones in a manner to prevent future breaks...just like any other profession, perfection shouldnt be expected in every single dental case. Its just not humanly possible.

Another point...a patient that has had or needs more than 1 root canal. This indicates that the patient has a greater than normal bacteria load in their mouth. The reason could be because of diet, hygiene, or other systemic diseases. When you have higher bacteria levels, then you will generally see a higher risk for heart and circulatory diseases because the bacteria that cause cavities are the same ones that crawl their way to the valves of the heart and cause damage. A healthy mouth = less bacteria = lower chance at heart disease. When we have patients that have had 12 root canals and a history of being susceptible to bacterial decay...theyre at a higher likelihood of heart and circulatory problems...not because they have root canals, but because they have a higher than normal bacterial count in their mouths.

Also, this guy speaks of diet being the most important thing...how about in patients that have xerostomia? If you dont have normal salivary production, it doesnt matter what your diet is...you'll be more susceptible to bacteria and decay...and ultimately, systemic diseases.

So many factors go into our oral health and the resulting health of the rest of our body...to pinpoint the root canal as being the cause is hilarious. Thats like blaming a murder on the bullet...not the gun or the guy holding the gun.

14. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Now that helps ease my fears about the procedure. :)

15. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

that b*stard mb2.

16. rezdawg

hahahaha, whats your experience with root canals? Good one. :grin:

17. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

none. im undergrad at uh.

18. VanityHalfBlack

@rezdawg, I'll contact you probably in a week or two, I definitely need some root canals done.. I would have done it sooner but past experience when I had it done was the most painful procedure ever, like I was in a Nazi concentration camp, pure torture...
    Free exams for first time customer????:p

19. rezdawg

Hahaha, the cost of exam will be peanuts compared to the cost of root canals/build ups/ and crowns. The 25% should come in handy. :)

20. Hicklander

Hicklander Contributing Member

Ill recommend this guy any day of the week. Had my teeth cleaned by him. I have super sensitive teeth and he actually cleaned my teeth instead of a hygienist. Ill surely be back every 6 months.