1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hawks to be Sold After Revelation of Racist E-Mail by Owner

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by shastarocket, Sep 7, 2014.

1. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Hawks to be Sold After Revelation of Racially Offenisve E-Mail by Owner with Controlling Interest

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p>Owner Bruce Levenson will sell the Atlanta Hawks after revelation of a 2012 racist email, NBA commissioner Adam Silver announces.</p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/508635959705886720">September 7, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p>NBA Commissioner Adam Silver released the following statement regarding Atlanta Hawks owner Bruce Levenson: <a href="http://t.co/H91NSEqf6t">pic.twitter.com/H91NSEqf6t</a></p>&mdash; NBA (@NBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/NBA/status/508636146146889728">September 7, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

#1 shastarocket, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

3. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

You think he would only turn himself if he knew he was gonna be caught soon...

4. Nook

Nook Member

This is getting out of hand.

5. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Maybe he's expecting a $2 billion buyer.

6. conquistador#11

he probably just wanted an excuse to no longer be involved with the hawks.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I'd put money on the Koch Brothers. They own Georgia-Pacific which is based in Atlanta.

8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

You know, it's not that hard to not write racist emails. I have no sympathy for him.

1 person likes this.
  9. Tha TC

Tha TC Member

Kudos for being honest and forthright with it though. Being a black male I must add when I stayed in Atlanta the chicken was horrible at the arena. How can u expect us to be happy if your chicken is horrible now the toyota center has some delicious chicken! And the honey mustard mmmmm delicious! Motto Atl concessions sucked while I stayed there

2 people like this.
  10. torocan

torocan Member

Wow. Well, one thing for sure is you can't say the NBA isn't living up to their words when they say that there's no place for racism in the NBA.

That this is taking place quietly and without a big fuss is pretty impressive considering how the NFL handled the Ray Rice case and the Redskins.

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

So what was in the email?

12. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

You're kidding right? The chicken is the first thing that comes to mind when going to an NBA game? Nah, you just being sarcastic right...right?

13. shastarocket

14. Tha TC

Tha TC Member

Lmao yes I'm being sarcastic, honestly when I stayed in Atl the team sucked their front office is horrible. But seriously their food was horrible though

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

apparently he has a minority stake

16. shastarocket

In all honesty, I think the email is worse than the Sterling thing. This was kept under wraps by the organization for two friggen years!

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't think the content of the email is that racist. The guy was looking at the attendance data and seeing that the Hawks have fewer white fans attending compared to other teams and was looking at ways to attract this demographic. He never said he didn't want black fans at the arena or anything.

If he was insulting to anyone, he was insulting to the white fans by thinking that they are uncomfortable at games attended by a large number of black fans.

18. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Nooooo he's probably just racist and caught red handed.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That email reads like a guy understanding the marketplace, didn't seem racist to me, just matter of fact.

Conversations about target markets happen in Every business, it may be uncomfortable to some but seemed like an assessment of the arena experience to me.

DD

20. Nook

Nook Member

Is it? I was expecting racial slurs and hatred.

He mostly just sounded like an ignorant idiot.

He assumed that Southern white people wouldn't go to the games because a lot of black people go to the games.

He had nothing to back up his opinion and failed to realize that attendance was low and concessions low because the Hawks have sucked for 30 years and there are a lot of things to do in Atlanta rather than watch a mediocre team.

Don't care if he choose to resign, obviously ignorant and he implicated other owners in his email.