1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Danny Ferry's comments regarding Luol Deng

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ferrari77, Sep 9, 2014.

1. edwardc

edwardc Member

Indefinite leave of absence his way of getting out of it.

2. torocan

torocan Member

I don't think that's necessarily true. Pain, suffering and introspection can shift a person's viewpoint. Similarly, learning another person's viewpoint can also be instructive. I remember having a friend that would say racially insensitive things, until another friend of mine explained to him why the words he was choosing and saying were hurtful and insulting.

He not only changed his use of language, but he admitted years later that that conversation had made him rethink his views on minorities as well as the words he uses to express those views.

Experience and education can change a person's worldview. For example, I'm sure there are many people that are viewing domestic violence very differently after having viewed the Ray Rice elevator video.

Does every racist stop being a racist? Of course not. However, human beings have the ability to learn and change. All we can do is give people the opportunity to learn from their errors.

For some, it won't change anything. However, for others it's not always just lip service.

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Danny Ferry was a tall white guy who couldn't play shiet and people assumed the only reason around was because of his "high basketball IQ".

A stereotype that landed him some nice FO jobs.

4. amaru

amaru Member

The majority of the players in the nba have " a little african in them".

Foolish statement from a foolish person

5. rudan

rudan Member

It's a racist steretype. You don't really hear people saying black players have high basketball IQ. It's like if you are black, it has been predetermined that you are good at basketball. If a white guy plays basketball, he must have smarts!

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Woj just dropped an anvil on Ferry.

7. hooroo

hooroo Member

Woj's article http://t.co/thODI1NpCy

8. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

do you think i can get my manager in trouble for making a stereotype comment when he said "I notice theres a cultural thing with you guys ....."

9. opticon

opticon Member

I just heard the audio of him talking about Deng.

He has to be fired. Silver loosed all credibility if this does not happen.

He was not saying it in a humorous manner at all. Has speaking as what he was saying was completely normal.

As a minority I am aware there is always going to be stereotyping of some sort.

But in this context it is unacceptable.

10. torocan

torocan Member

Statement by the Hawks... apparently the e-mail and Ferry's recording are not isolated incidents.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/1...-letter-apologizing-racially-charged-comments

Levinson selling the team suddenly makes a LOT more sense now....

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/sto...hawks-due-danny-ferry-bruce-levenson-comments

The public image of a team's GM and owner matters a good deal. Players, especially those who pull in a good amount of endorsement money, do not want to be associated with tarnished organizations who treat players as stereotypes. Teams sponsors are the same way.

The direct issue here is not how bad or how racist Levenson's and Ferry's statements are, but what the disclosure of them do to the business of the Hawks and the NBA.

#91 Carl Herrera, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Still, considering the source, Melo, 'speaking for every athlete who ever lived' mitigates the take IMO.. BTW -- Milsap signed there as they were the last place with money to sign him.

All that, Hawks are getting what they deserve from their culture (sic), except they'll net 100s of mil at end of the day (sicK).