1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA Refs get their little feelings hurt

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by crash5179, Jun 8, 2016.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

The NBA Refs are Tired of the League Pointing Out Their Mistakes

The NBA refs have a list of grievances for the League. Among those grievances is that they no longer want the 2 minute report. I'm not a huge fan of refs as I think they tend to officiate the game with their emotions (retired Joey Crawford) and we know they aren't immune to fixing games (Tim Donagee).

I especially hate that they tend to make decisions on when to call a foul and when not to call a foul based on their perception of in game situations and not the act itself. And my biggest issue is when the interpret a foul or penalty such as a moving screen differently for different teams or differently for different players.

I feel zero sympathy for the refs. If anything they should be forced to sit in front of the media and explain why they called a moving screen against one player when he was standing still but didn't call a moving screen or foul on Draymond Green when he levels the defender with an NFL tackle that would have warnted an unnecessary roughness penalty in that league.

NBA officiating is probably the hardest game to officiate but there is just no excuse in for calling the game differently against one team vs how they call it against another. There will always be some inconsistencies but they are remarkably consistent with their inconsistencies and how that effects some teams.

So in short, I hope the League issues an official FU to the officials and even turn up the heat on them.

2. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

I agree with the refs. They do the best job they can the people hating on them have never been in their shoes. We're only human.

3. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member

Think about it like this. In your own jobs, how the hell would you feel if after every work day your employer makes of list of every single **** up you had? It's kinda messed up. I see both sides.

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I think the two minute reports haven't helped improve the quality of reffing; if anything, the number of missed calls seems to be on the increase. And it doesn't even address the calls missed in the other 46 minutes.

I'd be OK with them dropping the reports... but hopefully someone in the NBA is capturing and analyzing every missed call for playoff assignments at the very least. I'd also like the NBA to be less butthurt when a coach or GM calls them out publicly.

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Grievances? Are you kidding me? They win every game.

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Lol at their arguments. It just show how the game is all about entertainment.

Fine, go back to how it was but allow coaches challenge. That's what really could make the game a bit more fair

7. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i pretty much agree with all of the grievances in that article, especially:

Focusing on officiating statistics encourages stat-oriented, versus game-oriented, officiating. It is in the best interest of the NBA and its fans to encourage and develop game-oriented referees that balance game flow and fair play.

calling the game is an art. not every game should have the same foul calls. not every game needs to be managed the same way. not every player or playing style can be officiated the exact same way. and it applies especially well to the last 2 minutes. in the last 2 minutes, not every situation can be officiated the same way it was in the first 46 minutes. it never has been that way and everyone has always been ok with it. players don't want it to be. coaches don't want it to be. and fans especially don't want it to be.

people already get mad enough at the few calls that are made. adding a questionable travel or ticky-tack foul would just make things worse. let the players decide the game and may the strongest survive. it may not be a great system, but it's probably the best one for the end of the game, which is probably how it came to be the universal way of calling basketball games.

and as much as i would like to see golden state get called for a million moving picks a game, they aren't the first great team to get more than their fair share of calls. just like great players get calls. just like rookies don't. you play well enough as a player or team and you earn the benefit of the doubt. perhaps not ideal, but consistent.

8. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

I might feel more sympathy if they acknowledged that they are frequently wrong, that all of the things you mentioned are true... THEN PROPOSE SOLUTIONS. The solution is clearly NOT to go back to the way it was... again for the reasons you mention.

I think there should be more referees because they frequently aren't in the right place or looking the right direction to make a call. They should also use technology. It's sad when the entire nation knows they are incorrect from an instant replay, but they ave no idea. it's pure stupidity.

9. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

They've been reviewing calls like this for decades. Only the highest rated officials get playoff assignments.

10. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Time for robotic/sensor based officiating, games will be fair, no super star treatments, not sure NBA want that though.

11. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Boo hoo. The only effort to be transparent when most people believe or can plainly see their favor....to downright corruption with Donaghey....and they don't like it. Shocker.

At this point, I think all suggestions are fair as to changing the way games are officiated. I can appreciate the difficulty, I can appreciate how they've seemingly given refs some leeway in saying I didn't see it, let's talk about it or check a replay. For me, 5v5 ball needs one set of eyes on each matchup. That or either side needs its own 3 man crew. Most refs are older and certainly aren't NBA quality athletes. The NFL has a squad of officials with their separate duties. Baseball has an ump at every base, over each foul line covering every angle in play. Idk, keep doing the same thing and expecting different opinions, insanity.

12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i don't buy the excuse that the nba game is too hard for any person to accurately officiate. thousands of eyes can see those wrong calls from much farther away or thru a tv camera. nba refs aren't incompetent, they're just agenda followers.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

your eyes on the tv screen without any other distractions is a lot different then being on the actual floor with tons of variables going on.

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

But if you worked in the ultimate public domain, I think it would be fair.

Just think of what players and coaches and even the stupid announcers go through, every night. Each gaffe and miss and stutter and turnover and poor substitution eviscerated.

You can argue that the league shouldn't do it, but in the end, they support as many calls as they criticize. At its best, the report helps educate the fans on the league's interpretation of tricky rules. And the league is really trying to put the most professional, most transparent face on the product that it can.

If they don't want that kind of heat, the officials should referee college or high school ball. Seriously.

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I did a pretty thorough review of those report covering this year and last to watch as many illegal screening calls as possible. Much to my dismay, the reports vindicate the officials that the Bogut/Green walking backwards screen is called the same for every team. Now, whether or not we want to say it shouldn't be legal is another argument. But the reports do show that screen being allowed for every team, not just GSW.

btw: the Reports show every single possible illegal screen, many that are obviously OK, but they will still list. It's a thorough resource of video of these fan questions, if you have to time and inclination to look through them all.

1 person likes this.
  16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

on the contrary, identifying your team's dozens of moving picks per game is a lot easier in person vs. the far less peripheral view on a tv screen

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

makes sense now. that's where your agenda is coming from

18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

would be awesome

Given fixed set rules and today technology, I don't think it's that impossible. At min, new set of tools can be created to help ref and improve accuracy, which should improve the nba image on how the game is ref'ed.

e.g. Embedding wireless sensors in the ball would accurately detect when it's out of bound, the direction it spins, if it was goal-tended, etc. Leaving these and other type of few technical that machine can do well allow ref to focus on the things that machine can't do yet.

Heck, with all super fast cameras everywhere already, they can run a trial and compare human ref vs camera, sensors with computer alg for limited set of rules to see how they compare today and adopt anything that is worthwhile.

19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

what makes sense is your understandable lookaway from what delegitimize's your team's 'success'

20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Wouldn't bother me. Nobody needs "transparency". We can all see from our coach when the refs miss obvious calls.