1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jared Uthoff

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Ratman, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Rocket_Man_2.0

Shooters...that's what we need! Why overpay Ryan Andersen when you can draft this guy!

D-rock likes this.
  2. RocketsFan0

RocketsFan0 Member

so is morey looking into this guy?

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Oops.

4. basketballholic

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....................

Did anybody see this?

http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp.../?hootPostID=9845dbf1380e365e16323576cecfe887

Spoiled for length.

Former Iowa star Jarrod Uthoff passed up the opportunity to be*a second-round NBA Draft pick*Thursday because he didn’t want to be “stashed” in the developmental league or overseas, his agent told the Register on Friday.

“Now there is interest throughout the NBA and we are free to pursue it,” Adam Pensack wrote in a text message.

Pensack did not name the teams that*expressed interest in selecting Uthoff.* He said there were “a few” of them but all wanted to employ the so-called “draft and stash” approach in which a rookie is sent to the NBA D-League or to a foreign pro league for seasoning, or to languish. Uthoff wants to play in the NBA this year, Pensack said.

“It’s often better to not be tied to one team and then be able to potentially pursue opportunities with any of the 30 teams,” Pensack reasoned. “If a player’s goal is to play in the NBA, especially in year one, draft and stash is not the best route to do so since it yields zero chance in year one and only a very small chance in subsequent years.”

Uthoff, 23, is coming off*an all-American senior season*for the Hawkeyes in which he averaged 18.9 points per game and led the Big Ten Conference with 86 blocked shots. The 6-foot-10 forward from Cedar Rapids was projected to be a second-round pick in many mock drafts.

We take a look back at the biggest moments from the 2016 NBA Draft including an NBA-record 14 foreign-born players drafted in the first round.*Time_Sports

But second-round picks do not receive guaranteed contracts while the teams that draft them get exclusive negotiating rights, an imbalance that is making it more common for players to take the route Uthoff is, said*Danny Leroux, an NBA salary cap expert for the Sporting News.

“Teams can be in a variety of spots in terms of willingness to spend (money) and positional availability. There can be a meaningful advantage to not being drafted,” Leroux said. “To explicitly say*‘Don’t draft me’ is definitely an interesting tack. It’s so egregious that we’re actually seeing players do that. I think we’ll see it more.”

Leroux estimated that 10 or more players may have taken the approach Uthoff did Thursday. There is a risk involved, though, especially if the player isn’t generating interest from other teams.

“In some cases, it can be a stigma to be undrafted. I don’t think it is as much anymore,” Leroux said.

Last year, 18 of the 30 second-round picks signed to play in the D-League or overseas, while about 10 undrafted free agents made it to the NBA.

For those selected in the final 10 picks, especially, it makes sense to wonder if they’re better off becoming free agents instead, Leroux said.

“For certain guys, maybe if it’s unlikely you’re going to get drafted, not only do you hear your name on draft night, but the consequence is less severe. You’re probably not really costing yourself a chance to play in the NBA, but you get the thrill of a lifetime,” Leroux said of why some players still opt to be drafted.

Soooooooooooooo, I knew something was amiss. Don't blame him one bit. Would love to know if he was our target at 37. And I sure hope we get him. He's plug and play ready for an NBA rotation right now. Will be interesting to see who he plays for in summer league. And will be interesting to see who signs him and for how much. And it is interesting that teams honored his request. I'd give him a guaranteed $5 million over 3 years right now without blinking. Forget about signing Bazemore or Barnes or Anderson to bloated deals. Gimme this man for 3 seasons on a budget salary. There a good chance he outperforms both those guys over the next 3 years.

You gotta admire these guys that trust themselves and their abilities to make their mark against competition and prove they are worthy of a full commitment. Only makes me want him more. He's ten times a better basketball player than McDaniels and he's a better basketball player than half the kids drafted in the first round based on future potential. And he's better than a lot of players dragging around the NBA on mid level deals right now, including some on our own roster.

Givony must've known this was the case. I badgered him about Uthoff multiple times when he took Uthoff out of his mock about why he did it and he ignored me. He almost always responds when asked a question.

#24 basketballholic, Jun 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  5. Ratman

Ratman Member

Thing is... He would have been drafted, he told multiple teams not to because they wanted him to be stashed in the euroleague or d league. He wants in the nba. Jokes on you

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Per his agent everyone wanted him, and as we all know agents never over hype the players they represent. I'm assuming his agent will come out soon and say the only reason no one has signed him yet is because multiple teams are offering him a max.

7. basketballholic

This guy is a knife fighter. He's better at every skill than a rookie Parsons. He's better at most skills than Parsons is now. Pay him like the #18 pick we lost in the stupid playoff run and thank our lucky stars we got our first rounder back.

8. Ratman

Ratman Member

Bruuh use your head, see the guys drafted before him? Its common sense

9. Ratman

Ratman Member

Hes on the kings summer league team now :(

10. basketballholic

That's ok. Can't go after him until July 1.

11. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'm sure there were a ton of teams who wanted him on their regular roster, but he insisted to just be put on a summer league roster. Yeah. That must be it.

13. Ratman

Ratman Member

You are missing the point the people drafted where he wpuld have been arent getting a chance even in the nba they are going to be stashed in europe or the d league. Asking to not be drafted allows him to pick the team he can shine with ( someone with little depth at the position he wants to play)and also lets him negoiate in how he is going to help the team ( like being on an nba roster not d league.) its literally not hard to understand

14. basketballholic

It is happening for Uthoff right now in dleague. He's proving he's too good to stay in the dleague. He needs to be signed.

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Looks like he had 1 great game (his last one), and was kind of ho hum before that... EXCEPT his 3 point shooting, which has been fantastic %.

Not ready yet, but on the way.

16. basketballholic

He won't be ready for the NBA until he gets there and gets comfortable. His game is ramping up. They made him a starter a few games back and with increased minutes he's shining. Somebody is going to sign him and if they get him on a three-four year deal they'll have a bargain. He's an NBA player.

17. basketballholic

November gleague highlights. He has every skill, shooting, handle, passing, floor vision, defense, bball iq. He is an NBA player. Just a matter of opportunity.

18. Normalus

Normalus Member

He may have a good career in Europe. I don't think he gets a shot in NBA.

19. basketballholic

Why don' you think he gets a shot in NBA?

20. Normalus

Normalus Member

I'm not convinced. Just watching him play, and it screams "Europe" to me. May be I'm wrong.