1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Baylor Bears Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Brandyon, Aug 28, 2013.

1. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

The rumor from Chip Brown (Baylor reporter) is that the recruits that requested to be let out of their LOI's will be granted that by Saturday. Hudson and Kam Martin appear to be headed to Texas. They're going to end up a top 3 class once it's all adjusted for. Intent or not, one program will gain the most by everything that has happened.

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Wasn't expecting this at all. Thought it was going to your generic PC release but Big 12 showing some balls. Wonder how far they're willing to go should BU deny the request.

3. sammy

Two programs run the conference. We're getting put in our place. Little brother winning more times than not the last 5, 6 years turned out to be a double edged sword. The facilities were built at least but remember how Texas had Baylor's back several years ago? Yeah, that's gone now. We should have stayed in the basement and took the money like Vanderbilt does.

4. sammy

Art Briles elevated us and then took us down. This is Baylor's fault and they made their bed.

5. gucci888

I do. And I also remember Briles basically voting UT out of the National Championship game a few years back as well.

But please don't think this is still a UT driven agenda. A lot of people, including BU folks, still want more information but outside of a few letters here and there, none of them have any leverage for it. The Big 12 does and now that they are exercising it, don't believe it's just a power play by 1 or 2 schools.

6. sammy

I don't think it's a UT driven agenda anymore. You can understand why so many Baylor fans do though. Baylor got caught with their pants down. I do think that certain schools wouldn't have faced this type of scrutiny.

Perhaps this is the big 12 just covering their ass. I want this nightmare to end. Having a good season and hiring a good coach will help I think.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

No one thinks it's a UT driven agenda.

I will say that a lot of UT folks seem to be WAY more interested in this than folks from other schools are. I don't think that's a coincidence. Chip Brown seemed to be reveling in this, honestly.

And, no...I'm not suggesting everyone from UT has that motive in their interest.

8. sammy

Exactly. Some Texas fans have been talking about our recruits before Briles was even fired. They're also going to have a top 3 recruiting class once the dust settles. As I mentioned, one program stands to gain the most from our nightmare situation. Maybe it's all just a major coincidence. Whatever, I'm over it. Just want this season to start because it may be our last good one for a while. Stidham alone can make us compete though. SIC EM!

#1348 sammy, Jun 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  9. gucci888

Dude there are absolutely people that think ESPNs investigation and all the hoopla over this was being pushed out of Austin. Maybe not as much on this board, even though I believe there were a few, but check out some BU boards and see for yourself. Could prob find a few examples on this board alone.

Chip Brown was reveling in this and he broke a lot of stories (right and wrong) and it got him some national exposure and credit. It very well could have been a BU Insider/Mod doing this but didnt seem like any pushed for more information (or maybe didn't have the sources) to do so.

10. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I disagree completely. Baylor is lucky that it was off the national radar for so long. The entire news media and Texas government would be all in UT's business If those Texas Monthly / Outside the Lines stories came out about Texas. Baylor had a year grace period where no one seemed to care. There is no way Texas could get away with not releasing the results of that P.H. report and I'm not sure they would be able to if they wanted since they are a public school.

Also, they aren't coming down on Baylor at all. They are asking for Baylor to disclose information. Those are two different things.

I don't think Texas has that many openings unless someone gray shirts. It is what it is. Hudson got close to switching to UT towards the end. It wasn't a down to the wire thing but he did visit the school 2 weeks before. The other two just saw the final shakeout of the UT class which was likely better than they thought. Plus it's just down the road. I'm certainly glad we got more players but it doesn't make me happy that these events transpired at Baylor.

11. sammy

12. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I feel like they could at least disclose information to the commissioner and not the school presidents. I'm guessing the privacy law they are citing would give them right to withhold information. The only thing that would really piss me off is if they use their status as a private school in order to withhold information which I am not sure they are doing.

Wow. The big 12 requested all of this information a month ago. This is their 2nd notice and the big 12 made this one public. The electric company gives you 3 notices before cutting the power. We'll see what happens here.

Do football teams ever stay in hotels in the city they are playing in or do they fly in and out on the same day?

#1352 Brando2101, Jun 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  13. gucci888

Read that the BU kids will get a response to their NLI request tomorrow. No idea which way it'll go though.

Edit: Baylor announced it will release five football signees who requested to be released from their NLI prior to May 31. The press release did not state the names of the five, but HD can confirm the players in question are RB Kam Martin, OL J.P. Urquidez, CB Parrish Cobb, OL Patrick Hudson and CB Donovan Duvernay.

#1353 gucci888, Jun 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  14. sammy

We hold on to Bowen. Jp, Pat Hudson, Cobb, twin, Kam.. They gone!

All good. Time to move on. Closure is coming. I can feel it.

Edit: Hudson still in the mix per 247

#1354 sammy, Jun 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rQUOTEr]WACO, Texas (June 24, 2016) Baylor University and Art Briles have mutually agreed to terminate their employment relationship, effective immediately. Both parties acknowledge that there were serious shortcomings in the response to reports of sexual violence by some student-athletes, including deficiencies in University processes and the delegation of disciplinary responsibilities with the football program. Baylor is addressing these shortcomings and making ongoing improvements.

Baylor wishes Coach Briles well in his future endeavors. Coach Briles expresses his thanks to the City of Waco and wishes the Baylor Bears success in the future.

http://www.baylor.edu/mediacommunications/news.php?action=story&story=170682[/rQUOTEr]

16. sammy

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Missouri (and former UH) AD Mack Rhoades.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">BREAKING: Mack Rhoades will leave <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Mizzou?src=hash">#Mizzou</a> to be the next Athletic Director at <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Baylor?src=hash">#Baylor</a>: <a href="https://t.co/OQcrEcxAoS">https://t.co/OQcrEcxAoS</a></p>&mdash; Gabe DeArmond (@GabeDeArmond) <a href="https://twitter.com/GabeDeArmond/status/753291864262914048">July 13, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

18. sammy

Is it worth mentioning that he hired Tom Herman?

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

LOL :)

20. HTOWNTAKEOVER

HTOWNTAKEOVER Member

no because he isn't going to Baylor.