1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's time to stop the flopping

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by basketballholic, Jun 9, 2014.

1. basketballholic

Wade's flop last night was enough for me. $5000 fines don't mean a thing to these guys. The league has to fix this. And it's a simple fix.

1. Review the play
    2. Reverse the foul call
    3. Assess technical foul for every offense.
    4. If the flop generated free throw attempts...allow the opponent to shoot the tech plus whatever free throws were attempted as a result of the flop and allow the flopper's opponent to select their best free throw shooter to shoot all the attempts.

And here's the kicker.

5. Give the flopper's opponent an extra possession if no foul shots were generated as a result of the flop.

For those of you that are concerned about reviews taking up time. No need to do that. Let the game continue will the officials review and make the call. If they determine a flop has occurred immediately notify the scorekeeper to reverse the foul and notify the opponent that the call has been reversed. Then at the next dead ball insert the free throw penalties and the change of possession if needed.

This will stop dead in their tracks all these stupid flops. I'm tired of it ruining games. The officiating by itself is inconsistent enough. The league has the means to make flopping go away. They should get it done.

2. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

Absolutely not. You cannot stop a game every single time to review all potential flop fouls. That's too many times.

3. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

It's hard to draw a line on how to punish flops, but I think obvious flops should be a suspension. Like "AAH MY FACE!!!" flops when the player was never even touched.

Like Bosh's famous one

[​IMG]

4. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

develop software to call fouls, i think it could be done in the next 10-20 years. Have twenty photo sensors on the court should be enough.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Stop calling charges.

Problem solved.

6. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

They're not gonna stop the flopping.

7. raspar

raspar Member

I have a better solution. Fine both the the Ref and the player. I guarantee, it'll stop at that point. It's obvious the ref never actually saw the foul and only officiated based on Wade's reaction.

8. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I will say this. Watching Manu Ginobili flop last night made me feel like Harden isn't much of a flopper. The guy was falling to the ground every three possessions.

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Or just allow the refs to call flops on the fly as a common foul. It reverses the possession, and can potentially put a player out of the game on a key possession.

If a player flops on a huge possession that ends up costing the game, a player would probably rather pay 5K than have to face his coach & teammates when they know he cost them the game.

10. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Nba refs are more incompetent than any other ref in the world IMO. They need to figure that out, they are too dumb to realize they are being duped

11. basketballholic

You apparently didn't read the post.

12. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

If referees would call what they saw, flopping would not be a problem. Most of the flops are called when referees assume and try to make sense of the situation when nothing happened at all. I'm not putting all the blame on referees because some players are rather clever at selling fouls and assuming is human nature, but if they called what the saw and applied some human reasoning, flops would not be a huge issue.

For now, I think the fine should be more serious. I don't understand why they set the fine at $5000 when $5000 for one player is something totally different to another player. Honestly, if I'm Lebron, Wade or any player that makes top money, I would flop and gladly pay $5000 if it meant I would put myself at an advantage to win the game, especially in an important game like in the Finals.

I think they should set the fine at a percentage of the players salary. That way it is fair and specific for the player. Say they put the percentage at 0.001% of the players salary so if a player like LeBron flops and is fined, it would be $19,000 while if a player making significantly less still has to pay the same percentage of his salary if he flops. This way, players making top money are penalized equally. If players like LeBron had to pay $19,000 per flop would flop less.

13. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Damn right. Not sure if op is a spurs fan or he is really tired of flopping in general. No mention of any spurs player flopping on the original post from the op.:rolleyes:

14. basketballholic

Perhaps 1/82nd of the players salary??

That's good but the problem even with doing that is you've got superstars on a team that will simply step up and hand the cash to the flopper.

Fines won't stop anything.

Impact on winning and losing will stop it. Because the coaches will start whistling it in practice and benching floppers during games. Coaches aren't going to tolerate flopping costing them W's. It needs to be in game penalties. Tech, matching free throws, foul call reversed, extra ball possession given. Those things make flopping basically a turnover. It would stop. But fines won't stop it because there is no way to make the fines stiff enough to stop it. Even if you set the fine at 10% of annual salary, the minimum salaried guys would have agreements with their max salary guys to cover that fine and then those infamous flops would occur in the playoffs and finals on the big stage where it is definitely worth it to the team to take the fine.

Gotta implement penalties that effect winning and losing games.

Just look at what happened with delay of game calls with players touching the ball out of the basket. They decided to tech it up. Overnight...gone. No more problems with players jacking around with the basketball.

15. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Did Wade even get fined?

16. Mr. Space City

then how will harden score a lot of his points?

17. basketballholic

Its just a matter of time. But who cares? It won't change anything.

18. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

If you make it all fouls are reviewed afterwards and two flops and you are suspended for a game, I am sure people would stop flopping.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I like it as a common foul
    You get 6 Flops/Fouls total a game .. . if you get called of a 6th . . BOOM OUTTA HERE

Rocket River

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Treat Flops like fouls

Rocket River