1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

firefox keeps freezing and crashing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jamma34, Feb 19, 2005.

1. jamma34

jamma34 Member

all of a sudden my firefox has just started to crash when i load it. i can barely click the location bar to type in a url and it freezes and i get the error message saying its not responding. cant figure out what might be causing it. seeing if anyone else has had the same problem

2. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

have you restarted the computer since this started happening?

3. jamma34

jamma34 Member

yes, twice, same problem

4. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I can't get firefox to open links as a tab instead of as a new window. Oh, and images and things seem to download slower.

5. Vengeance

I'd either try reinstalling, or deleting your profile. I'd probably try deleting your profile first.

It'll be in C:\Documents and Settings\yourusername\Application Data\Mozilla

Go in there and pull out your bookmarks, so you have them saved. Then rename the Mozilla directory something like Mozilla-old. That way, if this doesn't fix it, you can put your old profile back. When you delete your profile, you'll have to type in passwords that you've saved and re-download skins or extensions.

After you've renamed Mozilla to Mozilla-old, start Firefox again. It'll create a new profile for you, where you can put your bookmarks. See if that fixes it.

Have you installed any new extensions or skins lately?

6. Vengeance

Have you done anything to it lately? Perhaps that "speed increase" thing? For the links as a tab, check in Preferences and see what's there. You might also be benefited by downloading Tabbrowser Preferences. It'll give you a lot more options.

7. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Didn't know you could DL more tab browsing preferences. That's kind of silly. I mean, when I upgraded to 1.0, it said that issue was taken care of. The first thing I did was mess with tab browsing prefefences in the options. I tried them all out and nothing changed. Anyways, the new extra "should have come with 1.0" preferences worked. You can put that with your quotes.

#7 Oski2005, Feb 19, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2005
  8. Vengeance

Yeah, the stock FF install doesn't give you quite as many tab preferences as it should. They're all available in 1.0, but only a few have a menu interface. I think they didn't want to make it confusing to people who've never used tabbed browsing before by having too much stuff there. You can always type about:config and get access to almost every setting you can think of.

9. jamma34

jamma34 Member

when it starts firefox the little status bar goes almooooost to the end but freezes, then if i try to click the address bar and type, it freezes and crashes.

10. Vengeance

jamma, have you done the profile thing I mentioned? If so, uninstall FF, then re-install it. Here's a link to download 1.0, if you don't have the installer any more.

11. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

I've been surprised to find Firefox crashing on me a couple times per week on average. But I think it might have something to do with an inconsistent wireless connection. My laptop's been acting funny for awhile as well. I'm hoping that Firefox will be more stable when I eventually get a new computer.