1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can we get Jason Terry?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oldgunrules, Mar 16, 2006.

1. oldgunrules

oldgunrules Member

If I'm not mistaken J.T. will be a F.A. nest season. I know some of us hate him because he was the main reason that killed us in playoffs last year. But this guy is a dead eye shooter. He is not a "pure" point guard but he is athletic and clutch. He's spoke volumns on Yao's performance. Now if TMac comes back heathy, Houston could be a very attractive place to be for top F.A.'s. Can we can him? What will it take?

My dream for this off season: a. Draft a good big man to play at the 4. b. Get a top notch shooter.

2. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Jet Terry's one of the best jump shooters in the league. Last year before our playoff series with Dallas, I said he'd be the difference, and it turned out that he was. I wouldn't mind shelling out some coin to bring him here, but I don't think Cuban lets him go.

3. oldgunrules

oldgunrules Member

Sure Cuban has money, but there are other things too. I remember a few years back the Mavs had hard time getting quality free agents because they were perceived as a software team. If we could get a good draft pick this summer and TMac's back turns out to be no problem, we will turn into a legit contender. And that might lure him here.

4. tested911

tested911 Member

Wow if we would get Terry that would be the offensive perimeter guy we need. He actually makes mid -range jumpers..

As a matter of fact if we can find anybody in the off-season in the perimeter who can actually hit the mid-range jumper at 45% and 3 point % at 40 sign em up.

5. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

don't mean to rain on your fantasy parade, but even with the expiring contracts the rockets will be slightly over the 2006-07 salary cap.

6. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

He's going to stay with Dallas. Cuban will make sure of it since he flows w/ Dirk Flopper.

7. oldgunrules

oldgunrules Member

I said this before and I'll say it again. Dallas will never get a ring as long as Dirk is their main guy. He can shoot all he wants over Bogans and Howard, but the flopper's 50%fg won't be there if the other guy is Duncan, Marion or Bowen (either one).

8. aexchange

aexchange Member

the mavs may never win a ring with dirk as their man guy, but at least dirk gets the mavs consistently out of the first round.

sadly, tmac and yao have yet to do that.

9. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Terry will never be a Rocket.

All they have is the MLE. If for some reason the mavs decide to let him go, he will get more $$$ in fagency than 5 mill a year. And cuban would never EVAR sign and trade Terry to the rox.

so just stop it.

10. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I don't the Mavs will re-sign him. They are way over the cap and I think Cuban wants to start sheding salary. They also love Devin Harris. I personally think Devin Harris could be better than Jason Terry.

11. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

both true.. yet trying to be as unbiased as i possibly can.. i truely believe tmac/yao has much better chance at the ring than dirk flopper :D

12. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

*clap clap* you make it seem like it's been that way for years. it was ONE FREAKIN YEAR and when your supporting cast can assemble a starting five by themselves, it's hard NOT to get past the 1st round. not knocking the mavs, but I gotta give them credit for having a deep team.

13. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

And what hardware does Dirk have to show for it?

It's all or nothing.

20 years from now, if none of those 3 win a championship but Dirk has 200 more playoff games under his belt, they would still be regarded on the same level. The only distinction will be...

...The german flopper with a sweet stroke from outside
    ...The incredibly gifted guy with a bad back
    ...The 7-6 Chinese freak of nature

No consolation prize for having made playoffs year after year. Ask Karl Malone.

Having said that, ANY GM will take a Tmac/Yao Core to build around for a championship than Dirk/Terry.

Replace Dirk/Terry combo on Dallas team with Yao/Tmac and they would dominate with the role players Dallas has.

As long as Dirk refuses to get his @ss in the lwo post and keeps getting shut down by perimeter players, AND he is their main guy, Dallas is not winning the big one.

#13 Zboy, Mar 16, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2006
  14. Nero

Nero Member

Terry is my NUMBER ONE HATED PLAYER in the entire NBA.

Gawd DAMB I freaking *HATE* that little punk weasel.

That said, if he could be had, bring 'im on. Rather have him shootin FOR us than agin' us.

15. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Dirk is not their biggest weakness. They are pitifully soft in the middle with Dampier and Van Horne. That's where they fall short against the likes of San Antonio and Detroit.

16. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

This sounds like....

Yeah, we got both raped but atleast I got it in my vagina.

#16 Zboy, Mar 16, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2006
  17. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

There is absolutely no chance that we sign Jason Terry.

1. The most we can offer is the MLE, Cuban will offer more. He learned his lesson with Steve Nash. He won't let it happen again.

2. The Mavericks are one of the top 4 teams in the league. Why would Terry defect to a lottery team for less money? That makes absolutely no sense.

18. rice

rice Contributing Member

Al you guys who thinks Terry will sign with Houston over other teams in the NBA are just having wet dreams~

You guys needs to stop fooling urselve and realize that Houston is not very attractive to top FAs in the league, well manifested in the past few off-seasons~

All we get are these undersized, over-aged and over-the-hill scrubs that no other teams want!

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Dallas likes Devin Harris more than Jason Terry. They may be willing to give him up, depending on how they do in the playoffs.

We basically had a Jason Terry-type player in Mike James before the season, and we gave him up (48 fg% and 43% from 3 this season).

20. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

i know what you mean, man. it's, like.... how much time do they need??? i'm pissed off we haven't won several championships so far, because lord knows they've had more than enough time to do it.