1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I've never understood this...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rox4lyf, Apr 15, 2009.

1. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

I've never understood why people rather face the Lakers in the WCF over facing them in the 2nd round. If we're going to win a championship we'll have to go through LA anyways. Meeting them in the 2nd round or the WCF makes no difference in my opinion.

There are no moral victories in the NBA. Getting to the WCF and losing to the Lakers isn't any better than getting to the 2nd round and losing to the Lakers.

Let's take this one step at a time. We shouldn't forget about Portland. Focus on getting out of the first round then worry about playing LA. The main goal is to win a championship. LA is one obstacle that the Rockets have to overcome to achieve that goal. Playing them in the 2nd round or the WCF is irrelevant. That's what the phrase "Heart of a champion" is all about.

2 people like this.
  2. Evil Empire

Evil Empire Member

lets do this

3. pkboy

pkboy Member

you are right....lets go rockets

4. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

+Rep if i could

5. yao123

yao123 Member

cause they get bored if the rockets is over duh...... :mad: even if the rockets win the championship....a month from that nothing gonna happened....more games more entertainment :cool: easy as that

6. Bamushake

Bamushake Member

most people here feel that if we can postpone them until the 2nd round there's more hope that some other team might beat them
    which is stupid, the lakers are going to the WCF practically guaranteed

7. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Because its the WCF, making it that far proves something. We all know the Lakers will destroy us but our goal this postseason was avoiding the inevitable as long as possible.

8. Shaud

Shaud Member

I never understood why this board is talking about facing or avoiding the Lakers in the 2nd round when we have yet to get out the 1st round.

9. clutch11

clutch11 Member

Agree.
    2 goals:

#1 get out 1st round.
    #2 Rings.

10. Browney

Browney Member

I suppose playing them later on, gives more of a chance of the lakers tiring, possible injuries etc, but either why i agree with your logic. Also helps the Rockets gain some sort of momentum and confindence going into the lakers if they ahd already knocked off 2 play-off teams before them.

11. Hmm

Hmm Member

the so-called "heart of a champion" exists only in our optimistic cheers.. blind to realize.. it's nowhere within this actual team..

be realistic for christ's sake..

12. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Love the post.

When the Jazz made it to the 2007 West Finals, it was only because the Mavs lost. They were not a conference finals caliber team that year. As a result, the Spurs cruised to victory.

Lets play well vs Portland, and if the Rockets get the opportunity to play LA in round 2, take it.

13. Pocket Rockets

first of all, we had to experience winning a championship before we can have a heart of a champion

second, theres a big difference in playing them in 2nd vs wcf...

the fact that we wouldve won 2 series to get to the wcf

14. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

exactly...i totally agree. hence why I talked about why are we overlooking the Blazers, this team has yet to prove that it can get out of the first round. The Lakers shouldn't be an issue.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Honestly . . my biggest worry is
    after beating the dog***** out of the Lakers
    they will have a let down

Rocket River

16. Shaud

Shaud Member

It seems as if the board feels like that is an easy win for us. I have no clue why they feel that way.

I do think we will beat the Blazers in a series if we play them but I am not concerned about when we face the Lakers because I just hope at some point we do face them or whoever is playing in the 2nd Round, Western Conference etc.

But the 1st round is the biggest concern right now.

17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One game at a time.

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The simple reason is that you'd rather win two playoff series than just one.

But, mathematically, it makes sense as well. There's a slightly lesser chance the Lakers get to the WCF than they get to the second round. That means if we are a 2/3 seed, there's a better chance we can avoid them altogether than if we are a 4/5 seed.

19. cst_chenchen

cst_chenchen Member

Maybe you're right, let's do it, Go Rockets.

20. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

LOL! So true!