1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Travel Advice

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Zboy, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Zboy is getting married to Zgirl and afterwards headed for a nice 6 week trip to Malaysia/Singapore/HongKong.

I will be leaving in last week of May and I expect it to be a hot (literally) trip.

Has anyone been to either of those countries?

Any suggestions for places I definitely would not want to miss?

Good places to eat?

Is the Chinese community in Hong Kong crazy about Yao and the Rockets? Hopefully when I am there, Rockets are making noise in playoffs so that I can enjoy the games somewhere with the Chinese folks.

2. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

3. whoisray

whoisray Contributing Member

Was in SIN about 3 years ago. Go to Sentosa, Night Safari, Orchard Rd., Robertson Quay, take that boat down the river, Chinatown, Little India, Raffles hotel, the Muslim Mosque, Merlion... thats all I can think of right now. Since you are going with your wife, no point in mentioning the "other" parts of SIN.

4. cur.ve

cur.ve Contributing Member

KL in Malaysia is overrated. Try some of the eastern islands and beaches if you can. Gorgeous Try Pulau Perehentan. Georgetown/Penang is nice for a couple of days. If you want adventure, try hiking in Taman Negara.

Singapore is a good party town. Good malls for the wifey.

5. playlife

playlife Member

I'm from Malaysia but live in US now. I agree with the poster above, visit the islands or beaches in Malaysia. Tioman island, Redang Island or Perhentian Island has great beaches and May is the perfect time to go there as it won't rain much.

Penang has nice food and not too bad beaches. You should try Asam laksa ( might be too spicy), Nasi Lemak (coconut rice), Nasi Kandar, Chow Kuey Teow (fried noodles), Cendol (Ice shavings), Teh Tarik (milk tea). You can check out this website for places to eat in Penang Link

If you're in KL then you can visit the Petronas twin towers, Batu caves, Petaling street (kind of like Malaysia's chinatown). Malaysia is a great place to buy cheap stuff, imitation goods ;)

6. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

check out Bintang Island near singapore, great resort place

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I prefer KL to Singapore and would tend to say taht Singapore is a bit boring.

THe Singapore zoo is pretty cool though. Also try to stop in Melaka, kind of a cool town not far from KL. Make sure you eat at "Capitol Satay" if you do, pretty fun.

8. pchan

pchan Member

I Lived in HK for a while, they aren't crazy over Yao. They seem to like guys like AI better.

HK is a great shopping/eating place.