1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Is Jordan Russell Davis the New Trayvon?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/2012/11/jordan-russell-davis-new-trayvon-martin/59391/

Here we go again: a Florida man is now claiming self defense and will possibly invoke the state's "Stand Your Ground" law after shooting eight rounds into a car full of black teens, killing one, and fleeing the scene, all because the teens allegedly did not turn down their loud music and the man claims to have seen a gun that did not exist. "There are no comparisons to the Trayvon Martin situation," said attorney Robin Lemonidis, who is representing Michael Dunn — the man who shot up the car and now faces a murder charge. "He is devastated and horrified by the death of the teen."

2. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't see similarities beyond skin color here. I can't even imagine a scenario where this guy is going to get off.

4. Major

Major Member

I think there are some similarities - white person scared of black person. Says he feels threatened and uses that to justify shooting him. Turns out he was totally wrong and the end result is that someone who wasn't doing anything wrong is dead. I don't think the similarities are necessarily in the details of the case itself - but in exposing the potential problems with the Stand Your Ground law.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Agreed.
    IF you can 'STAND YOUR GROUND' every time you get frightened
    . . .
    then you have an irrational fear of black people [or any group]
    . . .
    well . .. murder ensues.

Rocket River

6. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

I never understood racism, if I was blind I wouldn't be able to tell if you were black or white, only that we are both humans.

This is a tragedy, a senseless act of violence that has cost the life of a teenager.

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Big difference here is that they charged him already.

8. PointForward

PointForward Member

I do not see how this is even remotely related/similar to the Trayvon Martin case. The evidence from the Trayvon case clearly shows that Zimmerman fired at Trayvon in self defense after being pinned on the ground and being beaten by him. That's self defense. I don't see how being scared of a car with people playing loud music can justify shooting at them.:confused:

9. Raven

Raven Member

This has absolutely nothing to do with stand your ground, but that won't stop the media from fanning the flames.

10. Major

Major Member

Given that he is considering using Stand Your Ground as his defense, how does this have nothing to do with it?

11. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Without giving an opinion, I think its hilarious that you're thread is the exact headline on every major news network. Groupthink at its finest.

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I need more facts.

I detect bias from the author.

13. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

those aren't facts in the TM case

14. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Im not seeing a comparison here outside of the media attempting more race baiting.

15. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I like how you think

I trust that you all have learned something from the Trayvon incident

16. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Some seem to be insinuating that there would have been no violence had the kids in the car been white...

17. Raven

Raven Member

He can say that his neighbor's dog ordered him to do it, but that doesn't mean it will hold up in court.

18. Major

Major Member

Sure they are. A black teen doing nothing wrong and ended up dead because someone who was fearful of him instigated a confrontation and ultimately felt justified in shooting him. What happened in the interim is unclear, but those are certainly the basic facts in both cases.

1 person likes this.
  19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

They need to explore the death penalty here. This is ridiculous. People need to understand when you take someone's life it's bye bye.

1 person likes this.
  20. PointForward

PointForward Member

that black teen "doing nothing wrong" was beating Zimmerman to a pulp for simply asking "what are you doing here". I'd hate to start that whole debate up again, but I think when the case facts came out it was more than clear that while it is an incredibly unfortunate and tragic situation, Zimmerman was justified in pulling the trigger. (That's not to take away from the fact that Zimmerman was an idiot and paranoid weirdo for approaching him in the first place, but he didn't break any laws by doing so, unlike Trayvon who did break the law by physically assaulting him).