1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Gone Girl (directed by David Fincher, starring Ben Affleck)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by noize, Oct 2, 2014.

1. TdashDUB

TdashDUB Contributing Member

Edit.. I suppose this contains mild spoilers. Still doesn't reveal any major plot twists tho. So read at your own risk.

The first 20 minutes or so, the dialogue was suppose to be hacky and cheesy. They plainly mention, both Affleck and the wife at separate times, that Affleck wasn't being himself, only a person that he THOUGHT Amy wanted him to be. A super suave linguist who's intellectually on her level. She maintained the same snobberish, cold delivery because that's who she it as a person, but Affleck's mechanical lines died down after they got married because he couldn't carry the facade any further. He speaks completely different the rest of the movie after the first 20 minutes.

Just do yourself a favor and see it for yourself.

David Fincher is highly known to have every minute detail from action, background to wardrobe explicitly there for a reason.

#101 TdashDUB, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Stuff you should have spoilered now is SPOILERED... consider spoilering it, 'brah.' :eek:
    You might be right about the sister and him with the conversation of the topic, but he later says "I didn't touch her." Which could also coincide with how much this beesh likes to make it seem like he is the one doing her, and... well, it's just one psycho lady who may have saved his stuff. :cool: Could be. It's still a big plot hole.

3. TdashDUB

I'll explain this one more time.

They're satirizing marriage and the "hell" (or more accurately, the "prison") that it can be. People stay in unhappy marriages all the time because they feel that they can't divorce/separate for one reason or another. Affleck's reasoning is an absurdly wild ball and chain, exaggerated through the absurdly wild bear trap he has found himself in with an absurdly wild crazy b!tch of a wife.

The locks on that ball and chain run from him maintaining the hard fought "good" image that he's won back from the entire world, to potentially ending up like Amy's ex (the falsely convicted rapist) or worse, dead (NPH), but the biggest lock of them all is him wanting to properly raise his child.

The "plot hole" you speak of:
    Isn't a plot hole. It's to further shine a light on how we ridiculously paint someone as the victim WITHOUT BOTHERING TO GET THE DETAILS. Why call the cops when making a DRAMATIC "escape and return to the love of her life" IN FRONT OF ALL OF THE NEWS, MEDIA and (most importantly to her) CAMERAS.

Such a dramatic portrayal of a storyline is what she needed to keep the media BLINDLY on her side. Hence -- Even the people in charge (FBI) are even so quick to dismiss any chance of foul play because poor widdle Amy has been "through so much".

It's suppose to frustrate us, the audience, because we've been shown the TRUTH. Whereas the powers that be, won't even bother looking for the TRUTH because what they believe to be the "truth" is so open & shut to them.

I explain further in my first long ass post on page 5... Check it out sometime.

#103 TdashDUB, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  4. SwoLy-D

Dude. You don't know why they stay there. You're being too judgmental... you're beginning to sound like someone I know... :eek:

Reminds me of...
    [​IMG]

ME. :cool:

5. MosKeemYao

MosKeemYao Member

For the people who didn't like the ending

Imagine what would have been the worst outcome for Ben Affleck. You have prison/lethal injection quick fast, or you have a lifetime of being with a deranged woman who is the mother of your child not knowing whether you are ever safe (also the prospect of having to play husband with her because of the cameras). She won, that is why the ending sucks to some, because it is not happy.

1 person likes this.
  6. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

People want closure. I've seen it countless times. A great movie ends without closure to the casual movie watcher and they say "WTF. This movie sucked!"

I was fine with the abrupt ending. We all wanted her to be punished for what she did but that's not how it always is in the real world.

"What are you thinking? How are you feeling? Who are you? What have we done to each other? What will we do?

1 person likes this.
  7. TdashDUB

From the horses mouth himself (as far as my take on the three different directions/genres the movie goes in)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/I_GS8JX2l7o?t=39s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(39 seconds in)

8. TdashDUB

Also.. To keep my circle jerk for the movie going and in defense of the "terrible acting" some here claim, keep this post in mind for someone to eat crow because not only do I think Rosamund Pike will be nominated for Best Actress. I believe she has a high chance of actually winning the award as well.

There.

9. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Yep she was great and I can see her winning best actress. Either I was too blown or you all just didn't see what I saw :grin:

10. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Well a bunch of people none of us know claiming her acting was good will certainly prove your point....................

11. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Voting members of The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences vs. tallanvor's random friends.

Hmmm

12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Movie reviews are a science??? :eek:

13. SwoLy-D

You saw this video, then came here to offer "your take"... which was exactly in the words of the director.

Seriously, I don't buy your "take" you took from the director and then gave us. GTFO, Tdash. :eek:

From hearing Rosemund... and her different accent... now I understand why she sounded monotone the entire movie. I wouldn't vote her as "best actress", nor nominate her. I just hope BLANK STARE GIRL won't win.

14. tallanvor

Why would you give credence to either?

15. TdashDUB

Or, I actually watched the movie and paid attention.

16. SwoLy-D

All of us who saw the movie paid attention, we didn't miss it. We only didn't see the video you posted later. :rolleyes:

17. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So why did you post your friends' reaction to the movie?

18. tallanvor

to explain why i wouldn't be seeing and to confirm that the poster i quoted wasn't alone in his opinion.

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Who cares?

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

So you won't be seeing it? You should. I didn't care for the ending, but thought the film was otherwise excellent and well worth checking out.