1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Internet/Cable service providers in Austin?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by -Rockets, Jul 30, 2013.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Ignore this advice. I had great service from TW...until they screwed me out of a deal I signed up for in April. Had a great set up. Digital tv service, whole home dvr with 3 boxes, 15 gb Internet and unlimited home phone for a total of $120 after taxes for a year. Then, last month, my bill mysteriously went up by $40 last month. I called and they said I had no such deal and my deal from 2012 expired. There was nothing they had available to match what I was paying and, allegedly, no record of the call from April when I set it up.

So, I quit them after 15 years and changed to uverse just yesterday. Bill isn't going to be any cheaper, but I have more services. So far, so good.

2. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

3. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Unfortunately, I don't see Google Fiber being widespread until 2015. So regular cable connection will have to do for the time being.

4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Seeing as how apartment complexes and dorms in Austin are already pre-wired with non-fiber cables, google fiber will be useless to students in Austin unless we buy an actual house there.

#24 RedRedemption, Aug 22, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Google Fiber is a gimmick. The penetration rate of Google Fiber is low. If you're one of the lucky ones to get it, then its great. Otherwise I would look for other options in the mean time.

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I don't see how it's a gimmick. Unless of course you are not at a semi permanent address.

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I should have used the word hype. The service is no doubt great, but most people will be disappointed when they find out they will not get fiber due to cost.

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

And it's only to be in the city limits...so those like me out in Round Rock won't have access to it for the immediate future.

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Try for Grande but a lot of places in west campus can't get it so you're stuck with time Warner or uverse. I think time Warner is cheaper for cable and tv

10. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

Bump, I'm moving to a new apartment and need internet there either from TWC or ATT.

Before I go with them though, when does Google Fiber come? any news or ideas?

If I have to go with TWC or ATT, any recommendations as to the speeds/pricing to consider? It's regular use such as video streaming, and conference video calling on weeknights and weekends.

Much appreciated!

11. RedRedemption

Time Warner Cable.
    I am getting 200/20 mbps for 66 bucks a month.

1 person likes this.
  12. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

No idea what Google Fiber is up to but I know its still not available in most places, I have TW now but I hate them with a passion so I'm looking to switch I guess AT&T is really the only other option, I'm in SW austin.

1 person likes this.
  13. Duncan McDonuts

Google Fiber likely won't come to your neighborhood or apartment any time soon.

My personal opinion is cable is always better than U-verse. U-verse speeds are slower and they charge higher. Plus, Time Warner is increasing speeds pretty soon. A traditional 15/1 plan for $34.99 will go to 50/5 in the next few months. U-verse can't even touch those speeds for that price point.

1 person likes this.
  14. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

Thanks all! After researching and hearing your opinions I'm going with internet only from TWC. Hope they come install it quickly.

Take it easy guys

1 person likes this.
  15. axaznshortyxa

axaznshortyxa Member

I lived on 18th and Lavaca St. last year and I had TWC. It was a little spotty at times and would disconnect me here and there. I had 50/5 internet with 200+ channels for $95/month. Just prepare yourself to sit on the phone with several customer service representatives for a long ass time if you ever have any issues.

1 person likes this.
  16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I have TW in my apartment and it is glorious. Can't beat over 200 mbits download speed (just checked it is 209.32 at the moment) maybe you can but I wouldn't have anything to use it for.

1 person likes this.
  17. Duncan McDonuts

I think that's pretty much true for any major corporate utility. I know my girlfriend went through hell to disconnect her AT&T service and get her money back.

18. RedRedemption

Oh yeah, the best part about TWC in Austin is no contracts.

19. RedRedemption

Its funny because I had this problem with Xfinity in Houston.
    One quick call to Time Warner Cable and I was complaining about the price promotion ending after 12 months, guy switched me back to another promotion painlessly.