1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

Steve Francis Trade Report (AUDIO: Francis, Yao, Morey speak)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by raheel1560, Dec 24, 2008.

1. raheel1560

raheel1560 Member

Since we did not get a chance to do the No Layups TV Show on this Steve Francis Trade Day, I did a report in honor of the Franchise.

http://thegame.podbean.com/2008/12/24/steve-francis-trade-report/

No Layups will be back on the radio next week on Tuesday from 6 to 7pm and we will also do No Layups Episode VIII next week. Thanks guys!

By the way, Clutch should be posting all the soundbytes from Morey, Francis and Yao soon.

UPDATE: http://www.clutchfans.net/news/1509/yao_francis_morey_speak_on_trade/

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Will the lights be on, or off?

;)

DD

3. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

have to be off

They will be waiting for Steve's first game as a Grizzlie

4. raheel1560

raheel1560 Member

Here this button might make it easier...

<div>
    <object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,0,0" width="210" height="25" id="mp3playerlightsmallv3" align="middle">
    <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" />
    <param name="movie" value="http://www.podbean.com/podcast-audio-video-blog-player/mp3playerlightsmallv3.swf?audioPath=http://thegame.podbean.com/medias/play/aHR0cDovL21lZGlhMi5wb2RiZWFuLmNvbS81ODk4Mi91L1N0ZXZlRnJhbmNpc1JlcHJvdEZpbmFsLm1wMw/SteveFrancisReprotFinal.mp3&autoStart=no" />
    <param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" />
    <embed src="http://www.podbean.com/podcast-audio-video-blog-player/mp3playerlightsmallv3.swf?audioPath=http://thegame.podbean.com/medias/play/aHR0cDovL21lZGlhMi5wb2RiZWFuLmNvbS81ODk4Mi91L1N0ZXZlRnJhbmNpc1JlcHJvdEZpbmFsLm1wMw/SteveFrancisReprotFinal.mp3&autoStart=no" quality="high" width="210" height="25" name="mp3playerlightsmallv3" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" /></embed>
    </object>
    <br /><a style="font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; font-weight: normal; padding-left: 41px; color: #2DA274; text-decoration: none; border-bottom: none;" href="http://www.podbean.com">Powered by Podbean.com</a>
    </div>

5. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

sf always has a big heart on court no matter whether his playing style fits rox or not after yao arrived. I wish him best and hope he can prove everyone wrong.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Based on that audio, doesn't look like there are any hard feelings at all and it's a "win win" situation that both sides approve of. Good for the Rockets. Good luck SF in Memphis and possibly elsewhere later. AB's emergence sealed SF's fate.

7. G0 R0CKETS

G0 R0CKETS Member

I cracked up at what Yao said.

Its good hell get playing time. Memphis is a young team and they need an old man like him.

8. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I'll merge this with the Francis trade thread eventually, but don't want people to miss the audio if they haven't heard it. I edited the link up above. Thanks again Raheel ...

9. clos4life

clos4life Member

I'll miss Steve. Hopefully it works out for him, such a shame about the injury. I pray his game gets turned around in Memphis and shows he can still ball.

10. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

thank you chris wallace. he's doing the Rockets a favour and the Grizz has nothing to gain.

11. JujuxG

JujuxG Member

good bye francise

12. jpapi0022

jpapi0022 Member

Don't be surprised if the Grizzlies buy him out and he tries 2 come back to The Rockets after 30 days for the vet. minimum. I'm not a die hard Francis fan but this has been going on lately in the NBA.

13. Dei

Dei Member

He'd be such a lucky mother****er. First 30 mil then another 2.

14. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

(Morey audio, before every response)

Daryl Morey: "WELL, I think, uuugh..*sighs* (comment)"

:)

15. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

"I'm going to get buckets."

I sure hope he does. I guess I'll be checking out the Grizz more than I ever thought I would.

16. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

Yao said something like "Memphis is a young team and needs an OLD MAN like him." :D

17. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Raheel, will you sell me your Francis jersey now? :)

18. duteman

duteman Member

Yes I will be checking out the rox more often now having two guys that could have been ours (rudy/steve). I hope steve gets PT cuz he deserves it and deserves a chance to show he can still play.

Still a Rox fan but you broke my heart today you freaking grinches

19. djperm

djperm Contributing Member

It sucks to see Stevie Franchise get traded again...

I really wanted to see him play and contribute with the Rox.

There are still too many unknowns with the Stevie Franchise situation.

It would have been cool to have had the inside scoop on the team practices with Francis during the season.

Did Francis not practice very well?

Or he did practice very well and Adelman did not want to play him in games because...players like Head, Wafer, Barry were more deserving???

Or did the organization not want to play him and potentially get re-injured because they knew they would trade him?

And or maybe Francis suggested that he wanted to play elsewhere because he didn't think he wouldn't get significant time with Rox?

*Francis was also sick a lot this year so that could have prevented him from getting on any roll.

Yesterday's article from Clutch was the only insight about it that I can recall:

The Rockets were unhappy with Francis' dedication to the team from nearly Day 1 as he regularly missed workouts and, at times, practices.

Was Clutch at the practices? If not, where was this info sourced from?

If this is true, I'm surprised to hear it now and not during the season...

http://www.clutchfans.net/news/1508/rockets_trade_steve_francis_to_grizzlies/

I think that Francis could have played as both a PG and SG like Flash Brooks, Barry, and Head. It appeared that the opportunities were ripe for Francis when Alston was out and I thought he was capable of contributing for the rest of the season like most of his fans. If Barry, Head, and Wafer can get minutes this year, I figured that Stevie would also see some minutes.

Ultimately, I think this trade boils down to the urgency of signing Mutombo since Deke decided he must be signed by January and that Les did not want to the pay the luxury tax to get Deke and also give Francis more time to show something with Rox.

It is possible and maybe true that the coaching staff were not very impressed with Francis in practice and did not expect Francis to see much minutes even at shooting guard, (which wouldn't be reassuring news even though most of the other Rox are Clicking) and or they felt that Francis deserved to play significant minutes in his contract year and could do that with a team like the grizzlies.

Without knowing exactly what transpired with the Francis situation its not easy for me (Stevie Franchise fan) to agree and fully accept that this was the best move for the Rox.

If the Rox do sign Deke, it would be bittersweet to replace one fan favorite for another. I agree the the Rox need Deke more than Francis right now, so it is a good move in that regard, but it's interesting that the Rox didn't get more in return from Grizz for Francis.

If Francis really means what he says about playing elsewhere, then it could be a win-win situation for all including Mutombo since Deke still wants to play with Rox.

One thing that is certain, was the intelligent response from Francis: By leaving on good terms with Rockets and going to Grizz on a positive note... :)

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid823425601?bclid=853723710&bctid=5190685001

Hopefully the Rox can get him back in the near future.

Let's see what happens...

--

20. djperm

djperm Contributing Member