1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

A team with direction

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketmike, Aug 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocketmike

Rocketmike Member

Ok, I'm not convinced that we're going to be perenial cellar dwellers or anything. I think we'll probably make the playoff's this year and for quite a few to come. But my question is what direction is this team taking? I mean we have tons of money tied up in overpaid players and we basically have about half of a championship roster. Ming, Francis, Mobley and err um.. a role player or two. The problem is we're paying our half of a championship team like a championship team. But lets assume we get out of cap trouble; Do we actually have championship pieces? How do Ming and Francis equal a championship. I think they are good pieces to different puzzles honestly. I'm trying to think of the last championship team that had a point guard and center that averaged over 20pts a game the same year (Shaq and Penny made it out of the east in 94-95 so thats one that made it to the finals) Magic and Kareem? did they do it? I honestly don't know, but even if they did, it probably had more to do with Magic's passing ability. If the pg and C are the main offensive options then I don't think that you get the rest of the team involved in the offense. I guess this is the problem i've had all along with the makeup of our team. I think that Ming is more "special" than francis, but they are both great players. And while I'm pretty big on moving Francis to the 2 he is a little bit undersized to play sg. He'll have a hard time guarding other sg's which means we now not only have to look for a good pg but a pg over 6'4 so he can guard the 2. I know things happen in a hurry personel wise, and there's always a first, and hell maybe i'm way off base, but the pieces we seem to be building around (and don't even get me started on mobley) don't = a champion. I'm not saying we can't be a good team, I'm not even saying we won't make the playoff's I'm just asking if this will be a problem.
    Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.