1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Golden State Warriors and Moving Screens

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by dream2franchise, Nov 4, 2015.

1. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Based on the bolded text, Bogut's "stumbling screen" is an offensive foul.

2. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

The bolded text has nothing to do with whether you can move during a screen. It has to do with stepping in front of a player who's moving too fast to stop. It's a completely different issue.

3. wekko368

wekko368 Member

No it's not. It's the exact same issue.

In any case, I'm done arguing this. I've provided direct quotes from NBA.com. If you insist on being willfully ignorant, that's your prerogative.

4. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

Stepping in front of a moving player at the last second is pretty obviously nothing to do with setting a screen and then moving backward during contact. A screener could do both, but they're each a separate issue.

You're simply making baseless statements that directly contradict what the rule says because you're emotionally invested in being right about the Warriors cheating. With such a tenuous argument, I'd give up too in your place.

5. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Why would I be emotionally invested about the Warriors cheating? I'm probably one of Curry's biggest fans on this board.

So you're wrong....again.

6. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

Mmhmm.

7. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

Why on earth did Corey Brewer start for the Rockets in Game 1?
    By Josh Reese on Apr 17, 2016, 9:00a 42 4

Kyle Terada-USA TODAY Sports
    Still trying to understand why Brewer started, plus other takeaways from the Rockets loss to the Warriors.

Everyone expected the Rockets to fall but few of us expected to see a 104-78 beating by the Warriors. The eight seed from Houston got a free schooling from the NBA champions and with the loss, they are three games away from elimination.

The Rockets were straight up embarrassed on national TV, they were outclassed and the Warriors had the upper hand from the tipoff to final whistle. The Warriors led by double digits for most of the game and the Rockets starters barely played in the fourth quarter.

Let this sink in, Stephen Curry played 19 minutes and the Warriors still managed to win by nearly 30 points. Here are my three takeaways.

Why did Corey Brewer start?

I mean I understand why Corey Brewer started, but seriously J.B Bickerstaff, why did he start?! The Rockets had not started a small ball lineup in a pretty long while, and yet the playoffs against the best team in the NBA sounded like a great time to dust off that strategy?

"The last few weeks we've been playing traditional with D-Mo (Donatas Motiejunas) on the floor," James Harden said of the small ball lineup, "we just figure out how to get our movement with that small lineup, get guys in different spots to where they could be more effective."

It would seem the Rockets might have outsmarted themselves on the game plan.

The Rockets wanted to play small ball with the Warriors and match up with them. I am fine with that, but once it was clear Brewer did not have it Bickerstaff should have yanked him. That is Bickerstaff's thing, supposedly: play well and playing time is earned. Brewer's offense did not reward the 28 minutes he played, only scoring three points. He was active, causing some turnovers and even making some good defensive plays. But you needed more offense Saturday night and he wasn't giving it to you.

Michael "All I know how to do is score" Beasley only played five minutes. You had absolutely nothing on offense but yet Andrew Goudelock played more? What... Why???

What the ****

If you have followed my takeaways series in the past, you will know I rarely call out the referees. Usually through the course of a game, everything evens out and it's not really that big of a deal. Saturday afternoon was no such game.

The referees were against the Rockets from tip-off. When they were driving on the offensive end the Warriors got to be pretty physical with them at the rim. James Harden even picked up a fourth foul driving to the basket, he had zero free throws on the night. You could count on one hand the number of games Harden had zero free throws this year and you would still have fingers left over.

You tell me, was the game called fairly?

Rockets never left the hotel

Only a few players on the team managed to make it out of the hotel. The stars that were supposed to shine the brightest, flopped and looked like ghosts of their regular season selves (not to mention their 2015 selves). Whether it was the referees taking the team out of the game or the stage being just too big them, almost all of the Rockets looked lost out on the court.

Harden after not getting his normal foul calls, he went into a shell and was not much of a factor, save for the brief third quarter comeback that brought the lead down to 15. Dwight Howard did not play with the fire that he had in last season's playoffs, he was slow and his hands were made out of bricks as he lost at least six (by my count) rebounds and potential dunks as they fell through his fingers.

Patrick Beverley and Jason Terry were the only guys in my eyes that looked like they were ready for the moment. Beverley was locked in all game long, flying all over the place. He didn't score many points, but he left an impact with his fire. After going back through a bunch of different possessions, I came to realize Terry was one of the few players who looked like he knew what he was supposed to do at every moment during the game.

The Rockets made it to the playoffs, but at this point they haven't really made into a playoff game yet.

"It's one game," Beverley said, "had won by a buzzer beater or 100 points it's still one game, we won't let that affect us the next game."

8. icecreamman

icecreamman Member

The NBE is a joke. They don't care about the integrity of the game and only care about entertainment and in their eyes chucking up 3's by the POS warriors is entertainment.

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Draymond on moving screen accusations: &quot;Everybody else in the NBA sets the same screens we set. They just don't got the shooters we got.&quot;</p>&mdash; Ethan Strauss (@SherwoodStrauss) <a href="https://twitter.com/SherwoodStrauss/status/722132485874692096">April 18, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

......and they are called fouls when literally everyone else does it. I mean, he's not lying, he's just leaving out the most important part. Everyone sets illegal screens sometimes, they are just called illegal screens for those who aren't on the Warriors.

11. Outlier

Outlier Member

At least we got their attention.

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Klay Thompson on moving screens: &quot;It sounds like some excuses to me. I mean, we get picked on moving screens all the time.&quot;</p>&mdash; Diamond Leung (@diamond83) <a href="https://twitter.com/diamond83/status/722151181670219776">April 18, 2016</a></blockquote>

13. icecreamman

icecreamman Member

any other team commits an illegal screen it's a offensive foul. warrriors do illegal screen it goes uncalled. Think about it for a second and think of the last time the warriors got called for an offensive foul for illegal screens. :mad:

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Lulz at their cockiness. They don't even deny that they set them.

15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I'm glad they got called out on it, though. You could tell last night, even though they got away with plenty, they also got called for plenty. In turn...the screens they set as the game went on got less and less egregious. That's all I want...some semblance of legality to what they do.

16. Harden's beard

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Blazers guard CJ McCollum: Golden State setting &quot;illegal screens&quot; to help free up Klay Thompson <a href="https://t.co/YyXM6TbAaI">https://t.co/YyXM6TbAaI</a></p>&mdash; Jason Quick (@jwquick) <a href="https://twitter.com/jwquick/status/727558793081421824">May 3, 2016</a></blockquote>

17. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Yawn. The NBA will never hurt their Golden State Gooses. Curry is marketable, and the average idiotic fan thinks this is good basketball. Believe me, Golden State does do a lot right, and they aren't a team solely composed from illegal plays, but their particular level of immortality is predicated on illegal screens. Without the screens they are a hard, but very beatable team. Hell, maybe we'd see vines of Curry's lack luster defense and Bogut might get an ejection of two more per season.

18. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I hate the warriors for their illegal screens and dirty plays, but by paying so much attention to every screen they set I realized that they are really really good at setting screens. Like legal ones. When hey set legal screens they are very good at it and makes it difficult for the other team to defend the rolling shooter.

The problem is its almost impossible to defend when they illegally screen. Its frustrating and demoralizing and I visably watched ariza give up fighting and going thru screens game 5 because of this.

They don't have to be dirty and set illegal screens in order to be a dominant team, but they do it anyways and that's why there is so much backlash.

Its frustrating for both the players and fans and needs to be corrected, and its not trying to make an excuse as to why they are so great, but just to look for fairness and execution of the rules.

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Sorry Blazers. Join the club. Golden State gets the golden pass.

20. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Without illegal screens they would be very dominant. With illegal screens they are a historic team.

It's like the steroid scandals in baseball. These guys aren't chumps, and steroids didn't take them from no talent ass clowns to superstars. You still need talent to do what they do.