1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chargers, Raiders propose to share stadium in Carson, CA

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ItsMyFault, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

...and yet you're on a Rockets message board while you probably should be worried about all those other concerns/problems, right?

I think what you're saying is all well/true... but all of us would not do that great if there were no longer any sports teams here. We go to sports to escape all those other things that while far more important, cause a good amount of stress and heartache.

Millions of people attend sports teams' championship parades every year... do you honestly think they're all blind to the superficial benefit of sports teams?

2. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

It would really suck if Houston didn't have any pro teams. I enjoy sports quite a bit and it affects my life in a positive way. A lot of people use sports as a way to distract themselves from problems in their lives. That's why sports and MGM lived through the great depression. Taking away stadiums will not solve the problems in people's lives or make poor people rich. Why do you think there are multiple forums on this website with thousands of posts a day?

Look there are a lot of reasons to oppose these votes. I think the positives outweigh the negatives. But come on, these parks have not limited your ability to take care of your family. That's dramatic and just not possible.

If you had a problem about making billionaires richer then you would live in a cabin far off in the woods and live off the land. You are making billionaires richer every time you shop at a national or international company. And yes, you didn't pay a tax to build a wal-mart however that is independent from the moral objection to making billionaires richer with your money.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Amen, The technology has gotten so advanced that league now have to update stadiums to lure customers to leave their homes to come to games.

TV's and coverage has gotten that good. People follow teams from all over the world now so just because a team moves doesn't mean it's the end of the world.

4. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Yes, Houston's quality of life is better with entertainment options like professional sports teams. If Houston had no pro teams then my life would have one less entertainment option compared to most major cities.

5. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

As I stated before, when I was younger I didn't give a crap how the stadium was paid for. In fact I voted for it in 2000 because I didn't want the rockets to leave. Now as I realize how much of a scam publicly financed stadiums are, I would vote against any future stadium proposals. If they move, so be it. I can watch them on tv.

6. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

If taxpayers approve millions for sports stadiums via referendum like Toyota center and Minute Maid park then that's that. The people spoke and agreed to pay it. I'm against it but if that's what people want then they have to live with it.

7. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

I'm aware that everything I buy makes someone richer. However as you stated, my taxes didn't build any stores or build cheverons headquarters. Sports stadiums that are built without voter approval are a different story. Milwaukee taxpayers got screwed with the new bucks arena. St. Louis tried to screw the city to keep the Rams before kroenke left anyways. If it's put to the vote, San Diego voters will most likely vote down the stadium. The momentum in America is going against publicly financed stadiums and if it's put to a vote, the voters will most likely disapprove. Which is why you have to do what the braves did and pull strings to prevent a referendum. St. Louis had a law that requires a vote on new stadiums, and the Rams got a judge to bypass the law when they were trying to keep the Rams. Publicly financed stadiums are a scam.

I'm on record as saying I will vote against any new stadium proposals even if it means my teams leaving. Looking back, Houston was correct in letting that oilers go.

8. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

The tax breaks that gas companies (including chevron) get affect your life way more than taxes that often come from car rentals and hotels. The Congressional Joint Committee on Taxation estimated that three tax preferences provided $4.8 billion in tax breaks for Chevron in the last 3 years compared to an average of 200-300 million for sports stadiums which have 20-30 year life spans.

It's a state funded arena and the Milwaukee democratic elected city council members voted for it 12-3. Not every single issue has to go to a public referendum. You elect council members whose choices reflect their constitutes.

I bet you $100 to the tip jar they approve this plan. The SD fans have responded positively to the proposal.

Whatever man. You should hang out in the comments section of local newspapers which you would have to do if you had your way and all of the Houston sports teams would have left town.

#208 Brando2101, Mar 31, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I guess you have no respect for how sports teams are part of a city/community...and are intimately intertwined with a city's history.

Everybody who lives or is from Houston are Houstonians first... sports fans second. If the team moves, they'll still be Houstonians... and most would choose that loyalty over a sports team.

Why you don't "get that" is beyond me... usually people figure that out when they get older. And yes, you can be both against publicly funded stadiums... but also be against teams moving and abandoning their long-time fans.

I'm sure Seattle is still against publicly funded arenas... but they're not watching OKC games. They do care that their team left.

10. mick fry

mick fry Member

There's always Astroworld. :eek: Nevermind!

11. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

The energy industry is just a tad more important overall than football I think everyone will agree.

I'd be pissed that at the same time Gov Walker is cutting 250m from the U of Wisconsin, he happily came up with a plan to use 250m which will be closer to 400m after interest to give to the new owners of the bucks for a new stadium. The new owners who contributed to Walker despite being democrats. Publicly financed stadiums are a scam with lots of shadiness involved. In 2016 people realize that more than ever. Virtually all economist agree.

12. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

Sports are obviously very important to you. I like them but it's not longer a priority in my life. 18 year old me was devasted when Stockton hit that 3 in 1997. 26 year old me wanted to punch someone when Lidge gave up the home run to Pujols. Throughout my 20s it baffled me as to why people would do anything when the Texans were on.

After Lillard hit that shot in 2014 I honestly got over it in like 2 seconds. After the rockets lost tonight, I didn't demand anyone get fired or get into it with people on clutchfans game thread. Believe it or not, there are tons of non sports fans or atleast non hardcore sports fans. Especially in a city of immigrants from countries that don't care about American sports.

I still like to watch the Houston teams. But sports stadium scams, horrible fan behavior, and just overall my priorities in life changing has changed the way I look at sports. Id rather the teams leave then foot the bill for them.

13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Same here, but to be fair internet, 300 cable channels and the obscene amount of sports journalism programming probably play a part. Back in the late '60s that live game was probably 3 hours of heaven between My Mother the Car or Cronkite war updates.

14. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

What's the scam? You have a limited amount of sports franchises and a multitude of cities (and their citizens) that want them. The owners have the upper hand for sure but there is no scam. Leverage, sure.

And how are you footing the bill for the stadiums here? Aren't we taxing visitors for the cities cut?

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That's fine. You just don't think sports teams are important enough to cities and you don't care if they leave.

A lot of natives of those cities disagree. Most of them, actually (since public funding still gets approved... And most of the time when the owner fits the bill, the land is given to them tax free).

And frankly, it all sounds pretty disingenuous from you since you're on a sports message board that doesn't exist if the Rockets aren't here. (Yes, Louisville would not have inherited the clutch city monicker). You say you don't care, but you posting and reading posts here makes you far above and beyond what the average tax paying fan does.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Anybody catch the article that says the state of Texas will be paying $2.7 million to assist with hosting Wrestelemania 32?

You think spending public funds for pro sports teams is bad... what about pro wrestling? Hahaha.

17. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Is this for security? F that. North Texas/south Oklahoma needs to pay for it.

18. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Ok, rocketman12. Exit the vacuum and consider the intrinsic value of a sports franchise to a city. When that value is high... Citizens will vote for stadium proposals, city governments will approve it, and stadiums and arenas will be built. When the intrinsic value is low, then not so much.

Why does gov invest in museums, parks, beautification projects, etc... The answer ISN'T that they're economically sound profit earning investments.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Partially because those aren't money-making ventures. The NFL is a multi-billion dollar product that charges insane prices to get in the building they ask you to pay for.

20. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Without local sports teams, it would have made absolutely no sense for me to get an Astros tattoo on my face.