1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Jazz Owner: Malone is a Liar

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Roxnostalgia, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

This should put a smile on the faces of Rockets fans:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7...er-says-lying-karl-malone-unreliable-unstable

[rquoter]
    A war of words has erupted between the owner and CEO of the Utah Jazz and the first-ballot Hall of Famer who fueled the team's golden era.

The latest salvo came Friday night in a blog post written by Greg Miller in which he called Karl Malone "too unreliable and too unstable" to help the team as an assistant coach and claimed the 14-time All-Star and two-time NBA MVP lied to a newspaper about having to use a scalper to purchase tickets to a Jazz game.

The blog followed a scathing Twitter post earlier Friday by Miller, the son of longtime Jazz owner Larry Miller, who died in 2009.

"Hey Karl - you're lying," Miller wrote on Twitter. "You have my number. Next time you need a seat to a Jazz game, call me. You can have mine."

Miller's reactions came a week after Malone also called out the Jazz for their handling of the Deron Williams-Jerry Sloan feud.

During a radio appearance last Friday, Malone said the Jazz gave Williams too much power, and ultimately it was their coach who paid the price.

"I know for a fact that [Sloan] was overridden on practices sometime on the road because Deron was calling our G.M. [Kevin O'Connor] at that time," Malone said, according to the Salt Lake Tribune. "... You give a guy that much power, and he's the kind of player you think he played hard all the time, but if he wanted to sulk he could sulk. ... I never went to [co-owner] Larry [Miller] to talk about Coach Sloan. .. It's not one time, in my gut and heart, that I would go over his head."

Miller, in his Friday blog post, alluded to a relationship with Malone that has a history of difficulties.

"The fact is Karl is still as high-maintenance as he ever was, but now he has nothing to offer to offset the grief and aggravation that comes with him," Miller wrote.

Malone, elected to the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 2010 after a 19-year career, helped lead the Jazz to two NBA Finals alongside John Stockton and ranks second in all-time points scored behind Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

Williams and Sloan's relationship began deteriorating last season before Williams was dealt to the New Jersey Nets and reached a boiling point on Feb. 9, when the pair got into a heated argument at halftime of a loss to the Chicago Bulls. Williams had gone against Sloan's play calls, and the coach wanted him disciplined, according to the Salt Lake Tribune, but Sloan received no support from the organization. Sloan announced his retirement after 23 years in Utah the next day.

"On the whole handling of that, I would have to give [them] a D or F, and I would lean more toward an F," Malone said in the radio interview.

"That defining moment when [management and ownership] should have stood up for Jerry Sloan, they chose Deron Williams," Malone said. "And Coach Sloan, being the coach I know and love, said, 'You know what? We should part ways.' And he said what he said. And once Coach Sloan says something, it's history."

O'Connor later went on the radio to refute Malone's comments.

"Karl wasn't in the room, I was in the room," O'Connor said, "and the only thing I can tell you is, I'd like you guys to go ask Jerry. Greg [Miller] was in there. He did everything possible with Jerry to make him stay, to have him finish off the season. [Sloan] had complete autonomy to do anything he wanted to do, as far as any kind of punishment.

"The next morning, we'd asked him to sleep on it, and [co-owner] Gail [Miller] came in and both Greg and Gail asked him. So, I can honestly say that there's nothing farther from the truth than those kinds of comments.

"The minute [Sloan] said [he was quitting], we said, 'Don't do it.' & What I know is, I was in every meeting. I heard every sentence, every word, and I can tell you what transpired. I would love for you to go speak to Jerry and to Phil Johnson & and ask them these questions."

Sloan and Williams have since both downplayed the incident. Malone played for Sloan from 1988-2004.
    [/rquoter]

3. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Sticky combination. Malone was a monster on the court. And he did what he said he did. He stayed with Sloan. Of course, Sloan was running all those pick and rolls for him and driving him to the HOF in a golden chariot to boot.

The Jazz front office did want Sloan to stay. And Malone has messed around with them for years and has been very high maintenance. What they should have told Sloan was they were going to move DWill for maximum value. It looks like to me that is where they failed. I seriously doubt Sloan would have walked if he knew DWill was going to be leaving.

Looking back on it, hindsight is 20/20. It sure appears that DWill was forcing himself out of Utah to play with another superstar. And the longer the saga goes on, the more obvious the plot is. DWill will stop at nothing to play with Dwight. That plot line was going on in Utah.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Man, this is like a spat between Bin Laden and Kim Jong-Il. Hard to pick a side.

5. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

7. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

when karl malone was in his early 20's he impregnated a 12 year old girl.

true story.

8. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

based on what? Both sides have points--it's hard to say which side is being stupid. Maybe both. But I certainly wouldn't assume Karl is the good guy here in any way.

(and personally I'd lean towards Miller's side based on Karl's diva history with the organization. But I'm probably biased)

9. Roxnostalgia

That's my point, you said it in your post. Both sides are being stupid. Karl is a diva and Greg Miller from what I know about him from when I lived in SLC is a spoiled latch-key kid with his father's temper but without his business savvy.

Edit: That said: From my sig, you can tell I may have a certain degree of bias against the Jazz organization as a whole.

10. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

SpearsNBAYahoo Marc J. Spears

11. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

so in short

Malone is huge pile of chit

12. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Or Sloan is, or the Millers are.

Take your pick. Pretty much all fitting what we always suspected.

13. LoganRoxFan

LoganRoxFan Member

Malone was 19. The girl was 13. Still not right, but not even close to what you said. It's totally disgusting but not uncommon in the south with minorities.

14. Roxnostalgia

Yikes! I'm guessing Logan, Utah?

15. gambingo

gambingo Member

thx to google

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=hill/080507

Karl Malone falls short, as a father
    By Jemele Hill
    Page 2

This is how Demetrius Bell, drafted a couple of weeks ago by the Buffalo Bills in the seventh round, describes his relationship with his father:

"I treat it as if my mother went to the sperm bank. I don't hate him for [not being in my life]. It made me a better person."

But it's pretty hard to reduce your father to a DNA dispenser when everyone else in the world knows him as the NBA's second-leading scorer of all time, a two-time Olympic gold medalist, and arguably the greatest power forward ever.

Yes, Bell's father is Karl Malone. And if you're wondering why you've never heard of Bell or seen these two engaged in any father-son moments, it's because Malone apparently wants nothing to do with him.

Malone has never publicly spoken about Bell. Attempts were made to contact Malone through the NBA office, but he never responded.

It's hard to tell which is more astonishing -- that Malone actually feels this way, or that Bell was able to overcome the heartbreaking reality of being rejected by a parent.

What matters most is that Bell triumphed in spite of how his father behaved. He grew up in Summerfield, La. -- Malone's hometown -- and earned a basketball scholarship to Northwestern State, nearly 2½ hours away from Summerfield. Everyone there describes Bell as a gem. When I called the school to find out more about Bell, the sports information director talked nonstop about how polite, well-liked and determined Bell is.

Malone aside, Bell's story is unbelievable. He thought he was going to be a big-time basketball star like you know who, and didn't start playing football until three years ago. The football staff looked at Bell's size and relative speed, and hatched the idea that Bell would make an outstanding defensive end.

He played that position in 2005, appearing in just one game. The next season he was pressed into duty as an offensive tackle three weeks before the season started. After 22 straight starts, Bell became an All-American, a first-team All-Southland Conference selection, and now a proud NFL player. Plus, Bell is expected to graduate this spring.

"I was crying," Bell said when asked what it was like to be drafted. "I was just so happy."

Bell isn't the only Malone child to fall victim to this rather heinous pick-and-roll. Bell is one of three children Malone has fathered outside of wedlock, although he is the only one who Malone has apparently refused to have a relationship with. Malone's other two children outside his marriage are fraternal twins Daryl and Cheryl Ford. Both of them played basketball at Louisiana Tech, like their father, and Cheryl is a forward for the WNBA's Detroit Shock.

In fact, you may have seen the Louisiana tourism commercial featuring Cheryl Ford and her famous father, who finally appeared in his twin children's lives when they were 17. Bell lost out in the father lottery. According to Bell, Malone told him it was too late for him to be his father, and he'd have to make it on his own.

Nice to meet you too, Dad.

"I grew up around good people," Bell said. "I never turned to a father figure. I was lucky. I didn't need one. I'm happy. I don't need anything else."

If Al Sharpton is itching to picket something, he should organize a protest outside Malone's house, since the National Fatherhood Initiative says two out of three African-American children grow up without their father in the home.

Roger Clemens' alleged seedy indiscretions -- including a possible sexual relationship with a 15-year-old -- are nothing compared to what Malone has done. Malone reportedly impregnated Bell's mother when she was 13 and he was a sophomore at Louisiana Tech. Malone is lucky Chris Hansen wasn't around and he didn't have to answer to the authorities.

It would be one thing if Malone was unable to financially provide for his son, but he made more than $100 million during his NBA career. The Salt Lake (Utah) Tribune reported that when Bell's grandparents initially took Malone to court for paternity in 1986, his second year with the Jazz, they requested Malone pay $200 a week. Malone didn't respond to the suit, but a Louisiana judge ruled he was Bell's father -- after a paternity test showed that was indeed accurate -- and ordered Malone to pay $125 a week, plus past and future medical expenses. Malone claimed that was too much and later reached a confidential out-of-court settlement with Bell's family between 1988 and 1989.

Worse is that Bell has developed a good relationship with Cheryl and Daryl, who also grew up in Summerfield. The three have gone fishing together, and Bell describes them as a tight-knit group. Though one can't help but wonder, if Cheryl hadn't starred at her father's alma mater and gone on to play professionally, would Malone have felt so inclined to reappear in her life? If the media hadn't done so many stories about how Cheryl was following in her dad's footsteps, would we ever have seen Malone in the stands when his daughter won a WNBA championship in 2003?

"I just can't fathom how someone can't acknowledge their own child," said ESPN NBA analyst Jalen Rose, who had a nearly nonexistent relationship with his father, Jimmy Walker, a basketball legend at Providence and the No. 1 pick in the 1967 NBA draft.

Rose spoke to his father for the first time nine years ago, but he was fortunate in the sense that when his father played, the NBA wasn't as popular as it is now, and Walker didn't have the same distinguished career as Malone.

The first time Rose and Walker "met" was at Walker's funeral last year.

"I know about kerosene heaters, sugar milk and syrup sandwiches," Rose said. "Those are the days when it was bitter and personal. But I went to college, became an All-American and had a NBA career. I had to realize that was God's plan for me. I was healthy and happy, and it wasn't like I was living under some freeway."

But Rose admitted that when he was growing up, his father's abandonment drove him to be both a great player and a good student. He wanted to show his father what a huge mistake he'd made by not being a part of his life. It's the reason Rose chose No. 42 when he was at Southwestern High School in Detroit. He knew his father wore 24.

"I wanted sorely to let him know my name and rub it in his face and let him know what he was missing," Rose said.

Bell says he has nothing to prove to Malone, although no one could blame him if he secretly wanted to show up his old man. I asked Bell what he would do if his father called him up one day, ready to be what he's never been.

"It's something I haven't thought about and I'm not really ready to talk about it," Bell said. "I just don't know right now."

Absentee father certainly isn't the image most have of Malone -- especially in Summerfield and Salt Lake City, where he's revered. In fact, in 2003 Utah governor Mike Leavitt presented Malone and his wife, Kay, with a special declaration to "commend and thank Kay and Karl Malone for their incredible service, friendship, and generosity to the state of Utah." In the press release, Malone's frequent visits to sick children were praised, as well as his Karl Malone Foundation for Kids, which aids children and families in need. It makes his apparent reluctance to be a father to Bell that much more astounding, especially when you consider that Malone also grew up fatherless. Malone's father committed suicide when he was 3.

A decade ago, Malone and his wife -- with whom he has fathered four children -- spoke at a conference on families and talked openly about the children Malone has fathered outside of their marriage.

Of course, the Malones were talking about Daryl and Cheryl, not Demetrius.

Malone told the audience: "Everything I've been through, everything I'm about to go through in my career and my life, if my family wasn't with me and didn't support me, it would be really tough."

16. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

lol a piece of crap

What PIECES of CRAPS

17. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

I'm a minority, and this is the most ignorant comment I've read on here EVER. Would you like to provide facts to back up your idiotic statement?

18. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

He may have been talking about minors. I hope.

19. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

This article isn't about Stockton. :confused:

20. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

anyone else would go to prison for that.

and malone was indeed in his early 20's when he knocked up a 13 year old girl - he was 20, to be precise.

Karl Anthony Malone (born July 24, 1963)

Demetrius Carte Bell (born May 3, 1984)