1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

QUESTION: How are you suppose to set a screen?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rocket River, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This is from a video in another thread
    I notice on these Warrior Screens
    1. They almost ALWAYS take a step back so that the Rub is held that much long
    2. He Squat down and move their upper body into the person they screening
    3. If the are not facing the player . . . they push they butt into the player . .

Now .. I was under the impression those were moving screens

Rocket River

2. dream2franchise

Plus this typical 'shuffle' screen why they always utilise...

<iframe src="https://vine.co/v/eLOFJHpZ0Md/embed/simple" width="480" height="480" frameborder="0"></iframe><script src="https://platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js"></script>

Bogut tried again against NY recently, but got caught out. It works best for GS when it's all done in a scramble.

<iframe src="https://vine.co/v/i50T1TqrOIF/embed/simple" width="480" height="480" frameborder="0"></iframe><script src="https://platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js"></script>

And this, at 2:47. Watch the Bogut backhand on Curry's defender.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/q339Mqd-uCk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

They push the limits of what's allowable and dare the refs to call them all. So far it's working.

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

They take the Jerry Sloan approach to screens, time for other teams to take the same approach.

For those that don't know it's just daring the refs to call it every single time. They will call one or two...but keep doing it. Dare them to foul out the entire team, they won't. This was Sloan's approach to fouling, just do it constantly, over time you will establish that he game is just a physical and dirty game.

Warriors have been doing this for so long now it's established that this is just how they play.

4. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

This is already how every team plays--the complaints about the Warriors' screening echoes people in the past complaining about superstars like Jordan traveling...the rules aren't enforced to the letter, but it's not one team or player benefiting. It's just the best team/player that draws the outrage from rival fans.

Also, the screens in the video aren't illegal. The screener is moving because the screened player, caught unawares, essentially drives straight into it.

5. clos4life

clos4life Member

Your impression is correct.

6. clos4life

clos4life Member

I call BS on that. It's clear the Warriors get away with more. For goodness sake, Green can grab someone's ankle under the basket, pull their leg, trip them and make them fall in front of the ref during crucial rebound and get away with it. Only the favored NBA teams get this treatment.

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

That's not true. They are, quite obviously, illegal screens. I doubt anybody would say that without them, the Warriors would be all that much worse, but just because they're the best team doesn't mean that the screens they make aren't blatantly illegal.

I mean...you think Dwight Howard's getting away with the screens Draymond Green or Andrew Bogut set? Nope.

8. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

They're illegal screens by the letter of the rule and, as I said, it's like the traveling rule...the league has never enforced them to the letter. They've always allowed players to shuffle their feet a bit more than is technically legal, they've always allowed screeners a little bit of latitude to move.

The idea that the Warriors are consistently doing something that no one else in the league is doing is just as silly as the idea that Jordan was constantly traveling (which was often argued by opposing fans) and no one else was. Every team is setting a ton of screens that could reasonably be called moving screens.

Do the Warriors get more/better calls than other teams as the reigning face of the league? That's certainly possible, but a different discussion and would be true across the board, not just on screens.

9. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

There is so much wrong with this post, I'm shocked DD himself didn't write it.

I don't even know where to begin, and not to pile on to the other posters here, but the Warriors get away with murder my friend. I hate San Antonio every bit as much as I hate GS, but if you want a model of an elite team playing within the confines of the rules look at them. Kawhi has been a beast on both ends, at best Curry is a one way player with good handles. If you take away Curry's barrage of illegal screens he's nothing more than a Steve Kerr like character.

10. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Scratch that, I hate San Antonio MORE than GS. Pop is an ass and that team has had the Gods on their side in terms of injuries for quite some time.

11. onreego

onreego Member

It's like Harden, he gets fouled so often they just don't call it anymore. lol

12. boiler

boiler Member

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

League wide people should just flop on them screens

Rocket River

15. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

They ALL understand their roles...Everyone looks to screen for each other. The NBA would be a lot more entertaining if there werent so many selfish players in the league. GoldenState under Kerr installed a effective modern motion offense with elements of the triangle and the spurs offense. Everyone bought in...and their offense took off. This year, they are just playing with a ton of attention to detail. Their cuts are more precise, etc. Only issue is they have a ton of turnovers, but I expect that to improve in the next couple of months in time for the playoffs.

1 person likes this.
  16. albuster

albuster Member

The best screener is Capela. He constantly moves while screening but has neve been called. Somebody might want to post a video of the Capela way of screening and see for yourselves.

17. albuster

albuster Member

Harden even fouls himself often by flailing his arms and throwing his head back like he was hit by a train whenever he drives even when there is no contact.

18. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

it comes down to timing I think, Capela usually sets his screens as part of another motion almost as if he's setting a screen on accident.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I've always felt that most NBA screens are illegal by the letter of the rule. Kind of like traveling and carrying. They just randomly call some of them, perhaps they use this to target a few players (e.g. Yao, Dwight, etc.)

GS got much attention on this because (1) they set tons of screens, and (2) they are successful.

20. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

I agree with this.

It's just like traveling and carrying, so I don't really care about all three of them anymore.