1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hawks looking to trade Josh Smith

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Pete Chilcutt, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

2. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

3. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I'm cheap... what does the article say?

4. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

As a Hawks fan, I say no. Especially with the way you guys talk about Tracy having no heart. He is good for some highlight reel dunks, sure. But the guy just doesnt play up to his potential. And within a month of the season, you would all be talking about trading him for anything. Much like McGrady.

Sure, this is just my opinion. But as someone who watches the Hawks on a consistent basis, you wont be happy with him. Ask Baller4life (I think thats who it was). Hes a Hawks fan, too.

5. 3rdRingsAComin

Chuck 4 is probably right, but Morey would be well aware of the same fact, so he would only does this expecting Shane and our good locker room to have a very positive effect on Josh. He is still very young. We would finally get a real weak side shot blocker.

6. Stilldream'n34

Smith's contract has a trade kicker that might scare off some teams but if the Rockets are willing, I say sign and trade Artest for him

7. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Josh Smith is vastly overvalued.

Do not want.

8. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

He is the worst 2pt jump shooter in the NBA who took at least 100 attempts last season: http://www.82games.com/0809/FGSORT7.HTM

I can't find it right now but I believe he is the only player in the NBA over the last 3 seasons worse than Alston from 2pt range.

9. Asian Sensation

Young, athletic, shot blocker, runs the floor. Sometimes you take the bad with the good. He wouldn't be a bad pick-up at all for the right trade.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Atheletic shot blocker you say?

[​IMG]

11. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

as has been stated, he has his warts, but at $10million, if they are simply trying to give him away without any return, i would take a look at a three way unloading mcgrady and taking back smith and a high priced guard from elsewhere. otherwise, probably not worth blowing our assets for smith alone.

12. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

This. ^

If we can get him for Mac and not much else, then do it.

Unlikely of course.

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Let them refill their roster with Shane, Lowry and Landry for JS. They ought to jump on it, Rox too!

(This is assuming the trade kicker is cash money and not against the cap.)

14. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

No, no.

That's way too much talent to give up for Smith.

God, he's really good in fantasy land - but I think his head mightn't quite be right.

With Shane, Lowry and Landry you have 3 warriors who have proven themselves in Rocket Red.

15. Asian Sensation

I mentioned in the thread on the GARM in regards to what a package of Brooks/Landry's value is and I mentioned Josh Smith as a potential in terms of roughly equal value. Give or take depending on your outlook of the 3 players. I wouldn't mind giving up Brooks/Landry and then using Mcgradys contract to sign/trade/draft a different player at the 1 or 2.

or even better

Mcgrady, Landry and either Brooks/Lowry (Hawks will probably ask for Brooks)

for

Joe Johnson, Josh Smith, Acie Law

Lowry/Johnson/Law
    Johnson/Battier/Barry
    Artest/Battier/Smith
    Scola/Josh Smith/Hayes
    Yao/Hayes/Smith/Dorsey

Starters interchangeable of course but that gives us a TON of depth at every position and we get our coveted stud at the 2 spot.

16. SuperVon

SuperVon Contributing Member

If your coaching staff and players can tame a wild beast that was Ron Artest, Josh Smith is the perfect Artest 2.0 project.

He has many years to mature too.

17. SuperVon

SuperVon Contributing Member

Are you kidding, the hawks wont give up both Josh Smith and Joe Johnson. Heck if you beleive that trade is plausible you should of put Al Horford in the mix.

18. pandazn

pandazn Member

Screw Josh Smith, gimme Joe Johnson. I just don't think Smith suits a half court offense well. He's great on the break, but he doesn't have much of a half court game. His shot still sucks, yet he still insists on shooting 3's when he shoots about 23% from downtown.

Athleticism off the charts, but low bball iq and awareness hinder his game from developing.

19. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I saw this coming from a mile a way. As I have mentioned before: the Hawks are going to have to choose between Josh Smith and Marvin Williams. Marvin is strictly a three and Josh is a three playing out of position at the four. His move to the three is inevitable. They've already committed money to Josh and Marvin is a restricted FA this summer -- the moment to choose one or the other is now.

As for Josh on the Rockets? I don't think I could stomach the idea of him and Artest playing together. For those not familiar with Josh: think of a younger, more athletic yet much dumber version of Artest. By "dumb" I mean, literally will blow your mind with some of the stupid things he does. He's the type of player that follows a great play up by doing something incredibly idiotic. His shot selection is "Antoine Walker Bad". Not only that, be he REFUSES to recognize any weaknesses in the range on his shot. If there was such a stat called "Dared Wide Open Shots" he would lead the league in misses.

I just don't like the idea of him on this team. Trade him to NY so D'Antoni can turn him into an All-Star. That's pretty much the best case scenario for Josh because I don't see him starting for any successful team that runs an organized halfcourt offense.

P.S. For those trying to downplay the size of his contract: He has a trade kicker.

20. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

this isn't nba 2k9