1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rand Paul doing work

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jopatmc, Jul 15, 2012.

1. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

2. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

We send them billions for counterterrorism and they couldn't help get Bin Laden. Then, this guy comes along and helps us get the person we want most. So they throw the guy in jail and we want to keep sending them billions? Doesn't make sense to me. Don't give them a dime.

3. False

False Member

This is very likely absurd political grandstanding that serves no purpose other than to attract attention to Rand Paul to raise his own star. The situation in Pakistan is much more complex with respect to our interests in the region than most people who get their news from headlines would like to take the time to understand. We need the leverage we have and Rand Paul is 100% aware of that. While I agree with the aim, the vehicle that he is using is wrought in pure cynicism and will likely get nothing more accomplished than another few more attention grabbing headlines. I care about deeds, though. So, if Rand wants to really dig down and try to negotiate an effective deal with the Pakistanis through diplomatic channels rather than engaging in political theater, I am all for him making an actual attempt.

4. Hightop

Hightop Member

It's a part of your social contract to send your money to Pakistan.

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Wait, people other than basso can start D&D threads? :confused::(

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<div style="background-color:#000000;width:520px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><iframe src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/embed/mgid:cms:video:thedailyshow.com:428495" width="512" height="288" frameborder="0"></iframe><p style="text-align:left;background-color:#FFFFFF;padding:4px;margin-top:4px;margin-bottom:0px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;"><b><a href="http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-august-12-2013/exclusive---rand-paul-extended-interview">The Daily Show with Jon Stewart</a></b><br/>Get More: <a href='http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/'>Daily Show Full Episodes</a>,<a href='http://www.facebook.com/thedailyshow'>The Daily Show on Facebook</a></p></div></div>

7. Commodore

<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="512" height="288" src="http://live.wsj.com/public/page/embed-5887F3CD_1C07_4C39_835B_8CE66AE89CE6.html"></iframe>

8. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

9. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I suppose that she is unimpressed because she has a better idea of how to handle it. Oh silly me...

10. Commodore

<script height="400px" width="600px" src="http://player.ooyala.com/iframe.js#ec=9xZWd2ZDrmOXg1SXeVA9WeM2afjIazMS&pbid=b171980b65ae4996bffea4da902c7846"></script>

11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Jesse Jackson freed hostages and POWs frice, but all you hear is hustler and pimp.

12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Y'know what, Brawley, Duke LAX, not even worth it.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

He puts a picture of himself on his book?

Ron is disappoint, son.

14. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

[​IMG]

15. SSP365

SSP365 Member

yeaaa hooray rand paul!!!

the same guy who wants pastors to tell people who to vote for.

yea he's doing work alright.

disgusting.

16. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

I don't get it

But I do find it ironic you frequent a site called moonbattery.com

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Interesting that Assange would equate masturbatory and ineffectual grandstanding to "useful," but it does provide context for his own work, I suppose.

My respect for him just went down a few notches, not that he cares of course.

I respect the idea of speaking truth to Power, and true libertarians can do that.

But when I really look at exactly what Rand Paul usually says, he is rather speaking fantasy to the cable news wind. He speaks an absurd brand of simplicity to a complex world, and I think that's exceedingly dangerous if he believes a lot of these things.

1 person likes this.
  19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I was surprised to see Assange show support Rand, but a while ago he identified himself as most closely aligning with American-styled libertarianism (his words... or something like that, I think - don't feel like looking up the quote). And Rand is the closest thing to that of any politician who gets exposure. So he's at least happy to see that. I can understand where he's coming from.

20. da_juice

da_juice Member

It's not that simple. We stop funding them and Pakistan completely falls under Taliban rule. They're ****ty, two-timing allies playing both sides (just like any other country would in their situation) but they're what we have to work with.