1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Bin Laden ‘Shooter’ Story Is FUBAR, Special Ops Sources Say

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, Nov 9, 2014.

?

Should the guy be able to profit off his story?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's an interesting story to say the least, since we hold stock in both experts and heroes.

As a meta discussion...Military personnel usually get paid peanuts for what they do. It's not until they quit and become some consultant (media shill, subject matter expert, Blackwater contractor) that they make up with what they experienced.

That's an extreme minority though, and I think that lack of monetary appreciation and how the country generally tosses veterans aside is what builds up that internal code that's visibly disputed in this story.

Personally, I think all of the Seals should be held in high regard even when they do cash in harmlessly, but the media has a way of incepting the idea into the viewer that they are now informed after a few story/reports and are qualified enough or even as qualified as their peers to give some sort of judgement that equals the accused's peers.

I think at first reporting was more of a "life in their shoes" kind of thing, but now with movies, books and video games, the simulation has borne fruit into a new kind of fake expert viewer.

Common decency and respect for the accused is the first thing to go.

2. cardpire

cardpire Member

yep, it's America, you have the right to be a POS and speak freely behind a keyboard calling people a disgrace who are dedicating their lives to protecting yours.

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

The majority of operators are calling this guy a disgrace and liar. They are not guys that are behind a keyboard. So that argument just doesn't fly at all.

He signed a non-disclosure agreement, and this particular mission is about as secret as it gets.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That post would probably fail less if it wasn't to a vet. He turned his back on the SEAL ethos and he should be ashamed of himself for it.

Here's some fun excerpts from that SEAL ethos

Understand that when I say he's a POS, that's saying he's a POS for someone who was a SEAL. The expectations are higher for them and they should know and accept that.

5. TheresTheDagger

Source for all of these claims please.

6. Bandwagoner

Have you done any reading of your own whatsoever or just ragged on people?

http://time.com/3574990/navy-seals-rober-oneill-osama-bin-laden/

7. TheresTheDagger

Asking you for sources is "ragging on you"?

I appreciate the source for one of your claims.

Where is the source that verifies your claim the "majority of operators are calling this guy a disgrace and liar"?

8. Bandwagoner

No, ragging on the guy you were quoting. Read an article. Perhaps the one I just linked or the other dozen floating out there. The press and public are ready to call this guy a hero, the people holding that back are the operators calling foul.

9. TheresTheDagger

What guy am I quoting? I simply asked you for a link to your claim. Do you have that link or not?

10. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

One of my cousins is a Navy SEAL. Growing up he was one the nicest cousins my ma and grandma helped raise. Was a family effort raising him not because he was a problem child, but because that's just the environment he grew up in. He's an old man by SEAL standards now but he still gets sent to missions overseas despite that. Nowadays he's a trainer more than someone that does missions. He never publicly talked about what he went through but at family gatherings he's still the same sweet guy he was growing up.

Actually here's an article describing my "sociopath" SEAL cousin.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/15654972/...aking-care-family-navy-seal-way/#.VGSgiDTF98E

#50 London'sBurning, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  11. Bandwagoner

I'm not sure which point you are trying to counter but as your cousin is not DEVGRU or 1st SFOD-D, he is much more free to tell his story.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think it was more of a counter to this comment, just didn't quote the right person.

13. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

That's correct. Quoted the wrong person.

#53 London'sBurning, Nov 14, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2014