1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paxton Lynch, QB

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by what, Oct 13, 2015.

1. what

what Member

This guy probably isn't on your radar. If you've ever even heard of him.

- Mel Kiper moved him to #17 on his big board.
    - Has 10td, no picks, and 70% completion rate.
    - 6' 7'' with good mobility and a descently-fast release

This week will be a good test going up against ole miss 10/17 ABC/ESPN2 11:00 AM

I know you guys are Jared Goff are bust at this point. But you might watch to check out other talent. An espn analyst said (reviewing the ole miss-memphis game) that Lynch was the best pro prospect behind Goff, which surprised me.

2. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I am of the belief that the Texans should nab 2 QBs with their first 4 picks. No more ****ing around. So...yeah id take a flyer on this kid.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

No guarantee we get the first pick and Goff, so yeah

4. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

As a UH fan, and a guy who has seen plenty of Paxton Lynch, I wouldnt mind him if we miss out on Goff. There isnt anyone in CFB who has improved his mechanics like Lynch has. As a freshman he had one of the slowest releases ever in college football history. Now as a junior he has improved big time. He has excellent size and is more athletic than you think. I can see why his stock is rising similar to Blake Bortles 2 years ago. Memphis plays Ole Miss this week so it will be a huge test for him.

5. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I mentioned him in one of the other QB threads. Goff is certainly the front runner but Lynch is an interesting project. I haven't seen much of him but when i did he made some pretty impressive throws.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

6'7" is too tall. 6'6" is the cutoff.

7. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

YOU'RE TOO TALL!!!
    :grin:

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I actually really like Gunner Kiel.

There. I said it.

9. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

This youngster reminds me of Russell Wilson. We need a playmaker for a QB.

Trevone Boykin, TCU

Boykin came out of nowhere last season, posting eye-popping numbers in leading TCU into late-season playoff discussions. Boykin has an elongated throwing motion and very average arm strength, but his playmaking ability is undeniable. Boykin's substantial improvement from 2013 to 2014 was staggering and he will have a majority of his supporting cast back for more in 2015. Despite being listed at 6-foot-2, scouts insist he is closer to 6-0 and they aren't yet sold on Boykin's ability to transition from the TCU system into an NFL offense

10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

completely agree

11. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

And how did that work out for the Redskins. We just need to grab the right one in the 1st round and grab players we need in the other rounds. We have too many holes to fill jev.

12. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

Who would be starting now for the redskins? But we have Savage to be our #2 QB if we were to draft a QB with our number 1. But I still think the Texans may be looking for another excuse to not draft a QB. We just don't value that position. The Texans don't care about offense.

I don't know much about Paxton but I'm gonna do my research.

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

One of them is starting so I guess it worked out.

14. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

No it's not working out because both Griffin and Cousins are trash. So after this season they might end up drafting another QB.

15. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Agreed, but something has to start clicking upstairs because their plan isn't working out for them. It's time to burn that plan that states the QB position is not that important.

Scratch that nonsense and get us a franchise QB in here Mr. McNair.

16. CCorn

CCorn Member

I just don't want them to draft Hackenberg

17. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

So because it didn't work out for Washington, it will never work out for anyone?

Not saying I'm totally for it, just playing devil's advocate.

I had looked up Lynch recently, but didn't watch much video on him. He's interesting. Will look into him more.

I still think Brissett would be an interesting project. He'd be a good project if you picked two QBs early.

18. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Chip Kelly has basically destroyed college football. The gap between college QBs running spread offenses in which they have little to no knowledge of defensive formations and exclusively rely on first or second reads and then checking down or taking off and running is becoming a huge problem for NFL scouts.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/why-the-nfl-has-a-quarterback-crisis-1441819454

19. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Well played Eddie LOL.

Just saying I don't want to follow that example because we need more than a QB. We need a RB ( Foster's replacement), LBer's (both inside and outside Cushing replacement) , O-linemen, and D-linemen. We also need a good kickoff and punt returner.

20. Harden2Capela

Harden2Capela Member

i blame the nfl, in 2012 spread ofenses worked just fine. It wasnt until nfl rules vp dean blandeno saw that 3 young running qbs made the playoffs that year with rg3, wilson and kaepernick that they got antsy and changed some rules. After kaepernick torches the packers at candlestick for 181 rushing and then engineered a comeback in atlanta in the nfc championship game, goodell and blandeano came out and said that any qb in the pistol or read option formation is too be treated as a runner. That statement made the ravens favorites with vegas from underdogs overnight in the superbowl that year

spread qbs are proven to work in the nfl, its just unlike pocket qbs, the nfl is unwilling to change their rules to accomadate them. The league wants you to play from the pocket or not at all.