1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cedric Benson claims to have tryout with the Texans This Week

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ryan17wagner, Sep 7, 2008.

1. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Benson to Visit Texans

He sucks. Texans wasting their time and $ to fly him in.

Former Bears running back Cedric Benson, released by the team June 9 after two alcohol-related off-season arrests, said Saturday he has a tryout with the Houston Texans this week. Benson also said by phone he'd had a workout with the New Orleans Saints two weeks ago and that it "went well." Benson believes teams are waiting for his legal matters to be cleared up before signing him.

Benson maintains he was treated unfairly in both arrests in Austin, Texas. One was for boating while intoxicated, the other for driving under the influence. As for his stint with the Bears, the fourth pick in the 2005 draft said he'd taken steps to make sure he would have a breakout year.

"I got myself in good shape, changed some things about myself," he said. "I wasn't going to let the running game be a question this season."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-080906-cedric-benson-chicago-bears,0,2228505.story

2. radapharoah

radapharoah Rookie

i say bring him in and see what happens

3. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

can he play db or safety? Our defense looks like garbage. Dunta can't get back soon enough.

4. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...6-cedric-benson-chicago-bears,0,2606692.story

I find it interesting. The chronicle says no Benson, and Mattj claims the Texans have no interest. Yet, Benson claims he has a tryout this week?

Can you confirm, Matt or anyone?

5. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

6. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Fox said the Texans were bringing in 2-3 RB's this week as Green is hurt, but that Benson and Shaun Alexander were not one of them.

7. jtotheb

jtotheb Contributing Member

I saw that too, and I thought it was rather odd that Berman didn't say who they were bringing in.

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

i'd bring him in - why not? the 4th overall pick of the 2005 draft doesn't at least merit a look-see? looking for ANOTHER retread former packer/bronco back with no burst or speed is a better option?

benson, at this point, is low-risk, high-reward, imo - and his ceiling is sooooooo much higher than anyone else either on the team or available in free agency. i'm REALLY starting to worry about kubiak's "any tom, dick or harry" approach to the running back position.

if he's waiting to make it the final piece of the puzzle to maximize a RB's peak, OK. but why not give benson a shot in the interim?

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Kubiak flatly denied Benson was getting a look yesterday on 610. He said Rick Smith was trying out a few guys today but that he had no idea who any of them were.

10. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

C'mon...Given what we have, can't be all that bad...I think he would flourish here...

11. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

They don't need new RBs.....they need to bring in a whole new OL.

12. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

I think he will do better than green. Man green is already injured. I Even prayed to St. Jude to watch over him... ;)

13. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

We almost did bring in a whole new line this offseason, we changed 3 out of 5 and we have a rookie at LT, they looked horrible on Sunday but they can only get better.

As far as Benson goes, I agree with Ric and the "why not?" notion. I can understand if Kubiak doesn't want to bring him in because of lack of productivity, but even then I think he at least deserves a look. But if it's solely based on his off-field issues, then I think they're making a mistake. I despise to Cowgirls but I don't think any of them are complaining about TO, Tank, and Pacman now that they are winning.

I'm just tired of seeing rehashed RBs like Green and Brown who have obviously lost a step and cannot stay healthy worth anything. Benson was still a #4 pick just a couple years back and if the zone-blocking scheme can really do wonders for RBs like the Texans are making it out to be, I think they might as well take a look at Benson.

14. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

No way does Kubiak bring in Benson. His style of running doesn't fit the zone blocking scheme at all. Well, that and the fact that he sucks.

15. Mac#5

Mac#5 Member

im for this our running game really sucks n u never know this mught be a cinderela story in 20 years....maybe....

16. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

The running game would suck even more with Benson. He's terrible. That's why the Texans said no thanks.

17. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

He cant run without a successful line. Of course you could say that about anyone. But look at his hs days in Odessa. He went off there with a good line. at UT same thing. At chicago. not so good. their line sucked there. with us. same deal. I think he needs the line to create holes; he can't simply just man people around and power them over.

18. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Thomas Jones ran pretty well behind that same O-Line so I'm not sure that's all its about. Benson just wasn't motivated and probably was probably a bit out of shape the entire time he was in Chicago.

With that said, if the guy can get motivated and get back in shape, I think he still has a chance of being a good NFL RB. He also needs to prove he isn't a complete moron and stay out of damn trouble.