1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[nba open court]Kenny Smith's best Back Court teammate

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Oct 17, 2012.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not Clyde.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4P6yA12eIfw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  2. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Thanks, hopefully the full episode will have more about Max and they should really do a Rockets vs. Suns series in 94 and 95 discussion!

3. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I LOVE Maxwell's toughness but there is no way in hell is a better basketball player than Drexler. Max was a fun guy to watch though.

P.S. Damn I miss the Title Years!:grin:

4. tinman

Supporting Member

He was the right player for Clutch City. Don't forget he played against Clyde in the first round. Rockets vs Blazers 94.

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=bbr&url=%2Fboxscores%2F199404290HOU.html&div=div_POR_basic"></script>

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=bbr&url=%2Fboxscores%2F199404290HOU.html&div=div_HOU_basic"></script>

And it's not who's a better player Maxwell vs Drexler,

it's who's Kenny Smith's best backcourt teammate.

5. AirSwish

AirSwish Member

I watched this on TV. I am surprised that nobody mentioned John Stockton/ Hornacek duo. I believe they were playing during their times. Regarding Mad Herpes Max, he was just too hot headed for me, but he sure was Clutch.

6. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I'd take Maxwell over Drexler if you were going against Michael or another great offensive 2 guard. I was surprised no one said Byron Scott/Magic Johnson, but maybe that's because those guys didn't d-up quite like those other players mentioned in that discussion.

7. AirSwish

AirSwish Member

Somebody did mention Byron and Magic. The clip was cut short.

1 person likes this.
  8. Know Your Role

I always thought it was difficult for Maxwell to find motivation to play at his potential. But when you did not much could stop him. He was an amazing talent, at times. Other times he was amazing garbage. Glad we got to see Kenny give him some props.

9. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I know Mad Max hasn't been the best person off the court - but god do I miss having him on the court in a Rocket's uni. Even if he gets to the games late because he has to get bailed out.

10. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Max's passion/energy>>Clyde's

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

tinman. You're really losing your touch here. A lot of the "we would've beaten the Bulls in the finals" hypothetical was based on Mad Max being Jordan stopper. Yet Jordan-lite went off for 26/13/6 on him despite having crappier teammates than real Jordan.

12. tinman

Supporting Member

Maxwell > starks

13. tinman

Supporting Member

You are not making any sense dude.

It's a team game and my statement was for those to didn't realize that Maxwell had to go face Drexler . Who won that series dude?
    Who was the #1 scoring option for Portland? Drexler. Who was the #1 option for the Rockets? Hint: MVP DPOY , not Maxwell.
    Look at the balance of the Rockets. That's Clutch City.

For Maxwell vs Jordan, you should actually look that those games.
    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=bbr&url=%2Fboxscores%2F199201300HOU.html&div=div_CHI_basic"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=bbr&url=%2Fboxscores%2F199201300HOU.html&div=div_HOU_basic"></script>

Besides, Kenny told the world that Maxwell bothered Jordan and the video evidence showed.

If you watched basketball back then, NOBODY really wanted a piece of MJ cause he could go off for 50 on you, but Maxwell didn't give a F.

Maxwell was basically 90s hip hop. Some people now like Drake and crap like that. Maxwell was Tupac.

We kinda got that guy again when we got Ron Artest, that's why he was beloved.

Some people don't like Maxwell's unique realness. but that's what made Clutch City so special. they had so many real players. Mario,Vernon, Dream, OT, Sam, real.