1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets plan to pick up options on Jones and Motiejunas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketpower2, Sep 30, 2014.

1. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

The DMo era starts now.

2. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I think this is a message to Donuts. "Hey, we need more of what you bring to the table. Here's your chance to win the starting job, if you can just be more consistent in your strengths."

I think it's pretty hard to argue that, if both players fulfill their potential, Jones would be the better fit for this team. DMo knows it, now he needs to earn it.

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

And if Dmo keeps pouting about playing he needs to go. We don't need mini Asik in our nonexistent chemistry locker.

4. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

I hear this too much about various head coaches. You want the head coach to be the CEO of the team. McHale commands the room and has strong convictions on how to play the game--those that play for him like to do so. He has a lot of Rudy T in him. The head coach has a team of coaches to help him as no one has insights on everything.

5. jedicro

jedicro Member

Please. DMo has hardly been a distraction with his desire to play. Asik basically refused to play as a backup for 2 months. DMo would kill for those minutes.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Short arms, bad leaper, gets pushed around easily.

I like that quote from McHale. I'm sure he's discussed rebounding with them before. There's only so many times he can say "box your man out!" So it's on them to get it right now.

7. omgTHEpotential

DMo is an ok leaper actually. That being said, his wingspan is way below average for the PF/C position. Getting pushed around in previous seasons was true as well. BUT HE'S NOT A BAD LEAPER. Please.

8. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

I would be perfectly fine with him doing that if he doesn't have to make any in-game adjustment: call timeouts, make subs, run a play during crunch time...argue with the refs

9. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

I agree, but I thought at least he can tell Jones to box out more often.:rolleyes:

10. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

does picking up their options means that they can't be traded before the season starts or for a certain period of time?

11. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

I don't feel it's worthwhile to actually look it up, but I remember reading last year that DMo had some of the best positional defense on the team. His rotations were typically spot on. It went on to talk about how he's a great team defender, but just too weak one-on-one. paraphrasing here

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

From my eye test last season, the major culprit of our DRB% was Jones's inability in boxing out. When Howard challenged shots, the basket was wide open to the opponent for offensive rebounding.

Terrence Jones is obviously deficient in some fundamentals. DMo is a bit better in that regard. I hope the coaching staff see the problem and do something to correct it. Rebounding is not just about effort. It has some basic techniques you can learn.

When the perimeter guys have the propensity of leaking out for fastbreak, it is all the more important for the PF to secure the defensive rebound.

13. bongman

bongman Member

Yes it is his responsibility. Harden is so much better when he was in OKC, TJ, Beverley, DH, Dmo, Asik all improved. Just because they have not maximized their talents (yet) doesn't mean that they didn't improve.

14. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

DMo is a better defender than Jones? Not really. They both suck on Defense

15. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Parsons is offended

16. nobie

nobie Member

Dmo is average on iso d, but below average on help d. While Jones is below average on iso d, but average on help d. Jones is also better rebounder, but they both sux at blocking out. But really there is not much between them, if Dmo suddenly starts blocking out and hitting his 3pt shot at 33%, he can win starting position from Jones. And if Jones can improve his iso d, while also improving his game overall, he has starting position cemented. Obviously i want both of them to succeed in reaching there potential.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's not really true, DMo is good on both help and iso D, Jones is poor on both iso and help D. What confuses some people is that Jones sometimes comes away with a flashy block so they overlook all the times he's completely lost on D.

When it comes to rebounding, Jones is the better instinctive rebounder, DMo is better at boxing out, their per 36 rebounding numbers were very similar last year, DMo at 8.5 Jones at 9.1, both need to improve.

The big issue IMO is when it comes to fit with the starters. Jones can't shoot, isn't a ball handler, isn't a good passer, and doesn't have a very good post up game so his fit with Howard is pretty poor. DMo is an infinitely better passer and he has a better post game.

That said, since they don't have a backup 5, they'll need to play DMo there so I could see Jones holding on to the starting 4 spot by default.

18. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

It's already started he is what he is...

19. alethios

alethios Member

Now that we have TR Dunn and a new defensive mindset, maybe Jones will improve in those areas.

20. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

This is what I was thinking. By now everyone has seen how much upper body strength Parsons put on. If Jones did the same and can develop into a 70% FT shooter, i could see him here long term.

And let Parsons go already. Morey absolutely made the right decision. I'd feel much more comfortable with Ariza chasing around the Durant's of the league than Parsons, assuming we ever get that far.