1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2014] What Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ScriboErgoSum, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One of my two or three favorite Sci-Fi books of the century thus far. Epic in an old style Sci-Fi space opera way.

I got a Kindle for Christmas. I'm just realizing how dangerously like crack it is. It's the only place in the universe where I can go shopping for and buy a book at 2AM after I finished my last one, and start reading right away.

There is an instant gratification thing at the moment you need something to read you can't get with either a book store with limited hours and selection, or Amazon with a 2 or 3 day waiting period.

I'm on an epic run of pulpy Sci-Fi. Just started the 2014 Nebula winner for best novel, which will be followed, presumably, by the sequel:

[​IMG]

2. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

any of you history buffs that can recommend a good book on roman emperors? any that are really good/in depth.

the roman empire fascinates me.

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

No books, but here's the compiled podcast of the Fall of Rome by Dan Carlin from his Hardcore History series. I highly recommend it for ANY history fan.

4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The all-time book is

The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire by Edward Gibbon

It was originally published in 1776. A bunch of things are flat out wrong with it, but it pretty much is the book that started Roman History as a thing. It actually pretty much started scholarship with regards to history if it comes right down to it.

Not the latest and greatest, by any means, but if you haven't read it, it's like reading Plato's Republic - it's the foundation upon which all other scholarship about Roman history is built, all though it goes well past the end of the Roman Empire through Byzantium.

A bunch of stuff in it has been refuted. He places a great deal of emphasis on the Battle of Tours in 732 for instance, for having driven Muslims out of Europe and I think most modern historians think that is a load of crap. But I guarantee you anybody who has written a book on Roman history has read it at one point.

It is also available at Project Gutenberg or any public library worth its salt.

Are you just interested in the Western Roman Empire? Or do you care about Constantine and the Eastern Empire? How about pre Empire Republic?

The Annals and The History, both by Tacitus (a Roman Senator), is supposed to be very good and written by a contemporary of Augustus, Caligula, and Nero, though I've never read it. I assume it is pretty dense, but again, copyright expired 2000 years ago so you can get it free.

#324 Ottomaton, Apr 21, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

6. No Worries

I am currently reading Influx by Daniel Suarez. Quite enjoyable. Fans of Michael Crichton should enjoy this.

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The Fifth Heart - Dan Simmons

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Good book. Certainly the most 'Hollywood' of Suarez's books so far.

9. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

appreciate the response...have heard of the gibbons book...isnt the book massive like numerous volumes? i mean its free. so no biggie. but will look into.

really i'm interested in any/all...i was kind of hoping there might be a book that just covers the emperors...with maybe background info/biography on each/how they ruled/influence during their time served as emperor.. i know theres emperors who ruled for a long time..others for a few years...so it varies...but yeah

any really good books you think might be worth a look into, just list em. i'd appreciate it.

10. Win

Win Contributing Member

I'm glad you asked. I recommend 'I Claudius' by Robert Graves to anyone who will listen. It's not only one of my favorite all time books, but a fascinating look into the life of this very unlikely, yet ultimately successful emperor. Much of it is based on his copious writings, but it does not leave you feeling like your reading a dry history book. Instead, it's a crackling real life look at Claudius, his nephew Caligula (quite a bit on Caligula here), and all the great Roman intrigue associated brought to life by Robert Graves. BTW, you will find quite a bit about the succession of emperors that preceded Claudius as well, though it is not exhaustive.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If anyone wishes to read an excellent series of murder mysteries that begins during the reign of the dictator Sulla, and is still continuing past Caesar's death, pick up Roman Blood, by Steven Saylor. I enjoy both history and historical fiction (as well as alternate history, sort of a genre unto itself these days), and this is excellent historical fiction for those who are interested in the period. Damn good mysteries, as well. The main character is essentially a Roman private eye, one who does most of his work for the upper classes, so he ends up meeting and working for (and/or against) all those famous Romans we've heard about. Saylor spends much of his time in Austin. I've suggested his series before in one of Scribo's reading threads.

12. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

I just discovered Greg Egan and have been impressed. I haven't finished Axiomatic yet but so far every story has been really good.

http://www.amazon.com/Axiomatic-Short-Stories-Science-Fiction/dp/1597805408

13. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

sounds great...looking into it right now. thanks

14. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

If anyone is into graphic novels that are a little different than just super hero comics, I recommend two that I just finished:

Bone, by Jeff Smith and Y, The Last Man. Collected additions are very easy to find used on Amazon.

15. bobrek

16. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Bout to start Kill Decision by Suarez. Any takes on it?

17. No Worries

Just read finished reading

[​IMG]

and can recommend. I read some of David Baldacci's earlier work and thought it ok, but the new one did impress.

18. No Worries

If you like it, you will like his other three books.

Suarez has a bright future ahead of him.

19. bobrek

Next on my list....

20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've been on a Noir kick lately. I read Red Harvest by Dashiell Hammet, and then I've started reading I, the Jury by Mickey Spillane.

The Spillane novel is at this point is almost like a Noir parody. I've just barely started it so I'll see how the rest of it goes. I actually don't mind it because when I'm reading this kind of book it's pretty much what I'm looking for. I just don't think it quite reaches the level of Chandler or Hammet.