1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Robert Horry

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Christopher, Jun 14, 2000.

1. Christopher

Christopher Member

Am I the only person that would like to see this guy back in a Rockets uniform?

When he was a Rocket he was one of my favorite players (Hell the whole team, especially Olajuwon, were my favorite players!).He was one of thoes guys every good team needs.He was the guy who could come out and drain big 3's or get 7 steals or block shots (Do you know what game Im talking about?).

Anyway this is more of a pipedream then anything else.Unless we could send a REAL PF to LA or we were involved in some other trade with them I know there is no way he'll be wearing the famous PJ's any time soon.

------------------
    Your Starting Power Forward for the Clutch City Allstars

My Expert Opinion Of Steve Francis:Mate he is a special player!

2. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Contributing Member

Personally i think Horry fit his role well with us....in LA they wanted him to be a PF...he did against Barkley with us but he's asked to guard Webber, Duncan, Wallace etc...i think he's not being used properly...he does intangibles for the Lakers and is the only player on the lakers i like......I'd love to have Robert Horry back..to get that weak-side shotblocking and that athleticism...

------------------

3. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

I liked the man but we need somebody who is going to play every game(at his price) and not somebody who only shows up for the playoffs. [​IMG]

Horry has talent but has shown, recently, as having less heart and determination than Cato. [​IMG] [​IMG] He is also hurt quite often as well. [​IMG] Croshere would be my 1st choice for SF and sometimes PF over Horry anyday. [​IMG]

------------------
    Houston Rockets Forever!!
    In Rudy We Trust

4. payaso

payaso Member

my wife would agree with you...

I have doubts, however, that he would settle for a bench role with the rocks- his overall lack of aggression precludes him from a starting assignment at the 3 or 4 on a full-court team. He can spell the 4 in a half-court set when he gets the looks, but that's what Bull is for and I don't anticipate paying somebody more to do the same thing.

------------------
    "We have no eternal
    allies and we have no perpetual enemies. Our interests are eternal and
    perpetual."

5. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

The Horry I knew in Houston is not the same Horry that playes for LA. He indeed fit the role beautifully for Houston. He was usually a good option in the offense, and defensively at time he was a giant. He most definitely is underutilized in LA and out of place. He has shown some signs of life in the playoffs for LA though. I am not sure he is happy in LA.

I would love to see him back in H-Town. Odds are slim, but I would welcome him back with open arms.

But if it came down to Croshere or Horry, I go with Croshere.

------------------
    HOOP-T

Hey Shaq, Acme called, and they want their bricks back!

6. D.R.E.A.M

D.R.E.A.M Member

I love that guy!

Horry's welcome back anytime!

------------------
    Dream's Team!

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

HORRY SUCKS !!!!

He has been in the league for about 6-7 years, he has not improved his game at all, in fact he is worse now.

He has no confidence, we almost had to trade him to get him to shoot the ball.

Hell, he can't even start for the LA Lakers who have CRAP at the 4 spot.

Everyone listen close, take off your championship..rose colored glases and all you see is a declining player who NEVER works on his game.

Robert Horry can kiss my A..

DaDakota

------------------
    Not president of the Horry fan club.

------------------

8. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I take it you don't like Horry very much Dakota.

[​IMG]

------------------
    We need some meat in the post!

9. BigDog

BigDog Member

I agree with DaDakota. Horry has never put in the time to become a better player. He's content with being on the team. That would be the worst mistake for us to bring him back. Hell I'ld rather see Glenn Rice. He may not play defense but atleast he'll score.

------------------

10. Horry

Horry Member

Finally Christopher, someone agrees with me.
    Horry has been my favorite player in the NBA since he was with the Rockets. I like him because he is a good defensive player, he can block shots and get steals, he is athletic, can both go to the hole for the dunk and shoot from outside. He doesn´t have to score 20 to be effective, he plays great defense. I think if Houston would not have traded him he would be a better player today. A lot of people here seem to dislike him very much and I can´t understand why. I can tell you this if the Rockets had traded Horry for Elliot they would not have won. Horry was fantastic in the playoffs and the finals.

------------------

11. Loafinator

Loafinator Member

i think horry is a very good role player, and i think that he would complement the rockets at the SF spot, he's kind of like carlos rogers but with good shooting range.

i don't really know why people keep saying he doesn't have any heart, maybe i wasn't paying attention or something a couple of years ago, but i remember him always being a pretty good player for us. when i heard about the pippen for rice and horry rumors over the summer i was enthralled. during the 95' championship's he was consistently being compared to scottie pippen, maybe his game did drop off a bit, but he can still play very tenacious defense at the 3 spot, and he has a well defined offensive game. he would be an excellent fit on the rock's to complement walt. and it's not like he makes THAT much money.

------------------
    "When the mind is thinking, it is talking to itself."

.... Plato

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Horry cannot dribble, has not penetration moves. His shooting percentage is declining, even while playing with Shaq.

He WAS a good defender, he is a has been.

My problem with Horry, is that he has tons of POTENTIAL...see Kelvin Cato.

He could have been good, but now is just satisfied with his mediocre skill set.

Sorry, I want players that want to improve themselves.

As for the comment about us not winning if we got Elliot, I think that is ludicrous. We might have won easier with Elliot.

DaDakota

------------------

13. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

i hate to admit it, but I'm with DaDakota
    HORRY SUX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
    CUT Tino
    Isn't it amazing how quickly everyone did a Cat Backflip!!!!!

14. 3pointer

3pointer Member

If Horry would have had the attitude that Cuttino Mobley has (constantly trying to improve to the extend of having to be told to take a break from Basketball) he would have been one bad ass player.. no doubt about it ! "Potential can only take you as far as the person that posseses it lets it!" my own quote [​IMG]

------------------
    "Why can't we just get along"...quote from a scientist in Half-life 2nd edition.

15. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Horry is a different player in LA than he was in Houston.

Because he was forced into playing PF, he has had to bulk up and lost a lot of the quickness and outside shot that he had. He can't really play SF as well as he used to.

------------------
    Drop kick me Jesus through the goalposts of life,
    Tumble end over end, neither left nor right.
    Straight on ahead through the goalposts I'll go.
    I've got the faith Lord, If you've got the toe.

16. RocketSiv

RocketSiv Member

Horry brings some integral parts to the table but does not bring enough to warrant a major role. He tried to to get stronger to play the 4 for L.A. and that completely screwed up his whole career although he was never going to be one of those special players. I wouldn't want him back and my guess is that Calvin Murphy wouldn't want him back on the Rockets either.

------------------

17. Horry

Horry Member

Hey DaDakota, you think Horry is a has been? Did you watch Game 4 tonight? Horry had 17 points, 6 rebs, 2 A, and 2 steals! 4 points in OT. He steps up in big games! As for the comment that the Rockets would have won without Horry I think if Elliot was here we would not have won. The reason is that Horry played PF in the playoffs in 95 and he played very well against Spurs ( vs. Rodman) and in the finals vs. H. Grant. If we had Elliot at that time who would play against those guys. And Horry stepped up then and had great games and still can. I would love to have him back, it would make the Rockets a better team, but there is no way he is leaving LA. Go watch tonights game!

------------------

18. Launch Pad

Launch Pad Contributing Member

Hey Horry,

Did you bring a laptop to the game? [​IMG]

I'm thinking using your he-played-one-really-good-game logic that you must think highly of Matt Bullard for his 23 pt, 6 rb, 1 as game versus the Heat back in January, eh?

The Robert Horry I remember from the old Rockets team was a 6'10" guy with good footspeed and a 30+" vertical . . . who didn't realize SFs were allowed inside of the 3 point line. [​IMG]

Now, he's put on a little weight (for a whopping total of 235 lbs) that makes him just light enough to be pushed around by most PFs, but just heavy enough to have lost some of that foot speed he had several years ago.

------------------

19. Loafinator

Loafinator Member

truthfully i never remember people talking about horry's emense potential. they said he might become another pippen, but other than that no one really talked about him. no one thought he was very good when we drafted him over harold miner, but he turned out to be a big surprise.
    the thing that is great about him, is that he's a great pressure performer. he's one of those guys who isn't a star, but if you're on the edge of being a championship team then he'll push you over. in many ways he's like mario elie. he has a good shot and plays tenacious defense. he might not be the best man to man defende (because of his bulk) but he is a great team defender (that's probably where the comparisons to pippen came from). he still has plenty of athletic ability. and i've never really heard anyone say, beside you guys, that he didn't like to work on his game. i admit i never heard anyone tout his work ethic, but no one put it down either. but like i said before he's a big game player, which is important for any winning team. i remember back in 95 against the spurs in game four (i think) he hadn't scored the whole game and with the final possesion hakeem throws it to him and he makes a shot from the top of the key to win the game. that's the kind of performer he is, and if the rockets had a chance to bring him back i'd be ecstatic.

------------------
    "When the mind is thinking, it is talking to itself."

.... Plato

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Not that I like Pippen, but to be compared to Pippen is a pretty good complement of potential, and during those FINALS Horry was constantly being called the next Pippen. HE unfortunatley never put any effort into it. Would he have...I think so. I think the Rockets were a good fit for Horry and when they finally did trade him his confidence went back down the drain again and it has taken him a long time to regain it. Horry is certainly not a has-been. As good as the Lakers are, Horry remains an integral bench player. The most integral in my opinion, as Rick Fox, Shaw, and Fisher really do nothing. But the Lakers are always positive with Horry. Personally, minus 10-15 pounds, I would love to have Horry as a backupin the future to a small foward (say a Demarr Johnson, Robert Horry combo) and to play some PF. He certainyl hasnt lived up to his PIppen potential but he makes a nice role player who knows whne to shine (not just one game either...pretty much the whole series and throughout the playoffs)

Take this comparison for the playoffs between Horry and Croshere, who most here really want.
    They have similar minutes per game and both 20 games, with Horry playing slightly more.

Horry:
    7.2 points, 5.5 rpg, 2.5 apg, 18 steals, 18 blocks, 26 turnovers

Croshere:
    8.9 points, 4.4 rpg, 0.8 apg, 8 steals, 14 blocks, 21 turnovers

I would say the numbers are pretty darn comparable. OF course, Croshere has been smoking in the FINALS, but as we all know, LA's PF basically suck and when Horry is in the game for them they are somehting like +45 in scoring. Seeing as people here project Croshere as a starter possibly, I say Horry would make a fine bench player.

------------------
    When I die I want to go peacefully like my grandfather. Not screaming like the passengers in the back seat!

[This message has been edited by JayZ750 (edited June 15, 2000).]