1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

North Carolina Restaurant Offering a 15% "Praying In Public" Discount Has People All Pissed Off

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by i3artow i3aller, Aug 5, 2014.

1. i3artow i3aller

[​IMG]

Fox 4- "Prayer is rewarded, at least in one restaurant in North Carolina. Patrons who pray before their meal get 15 percent off. FOX’s Kim Wynne takes us to a restaurant in Winston-Salem that offers that unusual deal. Mary’s Gourmet Diner gives the discount for anyone who takes the time to appreciate their food before digging in. Although the restaurant has been offering the special for four years, a recent Facebook post featuring a receipt with the discount has gone viral, highlighting the practice. Jordan Smith was on a business trip when she got her discount. She told HLN that she and her colleagues “prayed over our meal and the waitress came over at the end of the meal and said, “Just so you know, we gave you a 15 percent discount for praying.” A Christian radio station, Z88.3, Orlando Fla., posted an image of the receipt to its Facebook page, where it has received more than 7,400 likes. Some have speculated it was an Internet hoax, yet owner Mary Haglund told FoxNews.com that this is the real deal."

I don’t understand how people can be mad at this restaurant. They’re giving you a discount for doing next to nothing. I would do a whole hell of a lot more than pretending to pray for a 15% discount. Want me to run around the building three times? Done. Pull a couple weeds from the garden as I walk in? Done. Pretend to speak to an invisible deity in front of everybody? DONE.

Even if you’re not religious you should be able to get on board with having to spend less money. I’m not religious but I am broke. Sit me down at a table, tell me I’ll get 15% off my bill if I pray and “**** it. Let’s do some prayin’.” Or do something that looks like praying. That’s the best part. You don’t actually have to pray. Like people filling up churches every week, it’s all showmanship. Just fake it like you did your entire life growing up when your parents forced you to go to church on Sunday. Bow your head, reflect on the amount of booze and drugs you’re gonna do this weekend and how awesome that is gonna be, maybe slip in a thought about the slightly overweight red head girl at work that you totally would and bingo bango your steak just got cheaper. See? Religion can be great sometimes. The people who are mad at this idea hate saving money. Simple as that.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Encouraging Fake Praying with a Profit motive is pathetic and wack

Rocket River
    I thought it was about a Prophet Motive and not a Profit Motive.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't eat at that diner if they offered the food for free if you pray, and I don't mind at all if folks pray at their table.

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'll pray to the cook if it gets me 15% off. Why not.

Cool idea. I hope this becomes a thing restaurants do and I hope internet neckbeard atheists focus their faux outrage elsewhere.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Let's get outraged. Haven't had a good outrage in awhile.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Meh...all it's gonna take is a brown person and a prayer rug to end this policy quick fast.

1 person likes this.
  7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm not an atheist. I'm also not religious, and think promoting religion belongs in a church, a synagogue, a mosque, out in the woods, in someone's home, or some other place where I don't have to see it. Not on the wall or on the menu of the place where I go out to eat. And if someone doesn't like that, I hope they choke on the damned meal. However, if people want to pray before a meal in an eatery, I could care less. In my opinion, that eatery shouldn't be in the business of promoting religion. It should be in the business of serving good food, if they want my business.

:-(-

1 person likes this.
  8. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

I am an agnostic/atheist .... why are people upset about this? I couldn't care less if a privately restaurant in North Carolina offered a prayer discount. Just pray to the flying spaghetti monster and get your discount. People love to get outraged.

9. Mr. Clutch

I personally do not care for praying in public. I do it in private.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I respect that. Heck, I respect people who decide they want to pray before a meal. What I don't respect is a restaurant attempting to promote religion by offering a discount for their food if you publically pray before you eat. Sam had a good point. What happens when a Muslim walks in, puts a prayer rug on the floor, kneels towards Mecca, and starts to pray? I doubt that the owners of the establishment had that visual in their heads when they came up with this idea. :)-

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

You don't have to see it in the restaurant because you don't have to go to the restaurant, so I don't think there's any issue here.

I'm not religious or a believer in any sense, but I'll be damned* if I wasn't a regular customer at Five Loaves Deli in Huntsville when I lived there even though the amount of Christian decorations at the place is a tad overwhelming. Good sammiches + Christain decor > OK sammiches + generic decor. It's basic math.

So, (fake praying + (-15%)) > (no praying + full bill)

*;)

I Googled this because I couldn't tell what it was, but even Google was stumped. Even after praying to Google, I got nothin.

12. Mr. Clutch

They should honor all religions, definitely.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That's me with a frown on my face. I have a goatee and look something like this with a frown (without the hair on top of my head!) -

[​IMG]

;-)-

14. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

As a brown person who uses a prayer rug, I can tell you that we generally (individually, not collectively) say "Bismillah ir-Rahman ir-Rahim" before eating. It means "In the name of God, the most gracious, the most compassionate."

No prayer rug required.
    ------------

And FWIW, I don't have anything wrong with their policy.

1 person likes this.
  15. Mr. Clutch

No, you're doing it wrong! These people are racists who hate Muslims.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

He's not cooperating at all, is he!

17. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/HhAZlj1xRLo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  18. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Do you still have to tip?

19. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

[​IMG]

20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Excuse me waitress, which way is East?