1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vermont Approves Single-Payer Health Care

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by mc mark, Nov 26, 2013.

1. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

WOW!!! :eek::grin:

How did I miss this story last week?

Vermont: Home of Ben and Jerry’s,Maple Syrup,Bernie Sanders and the first state to pass marriage equality. Now, VT will be known for something that will impact every resident in the state.The ACA provided states with federal funds to institute a Medicaid expansion. The states chose to expand the program also were able to set up their own state exchanges, which were relatively free from the problems the federal site had. VT decided to take it a step further by setting up their very own single payer system.

The slogan of the program: Everybody in, nobody out.

The program will be fully operational by 2017, and will be funded through Medicare, Medicaid, federal money for the ACA given to VT, and a slight increase in taxes.

In exchange, there will be no more premiums, deductibles,copays,hospital bills or anything else aimed at making insurance companies a profit.

All hospitals will be nonprofit

more

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

3. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Washington state is also considering experimenting with single-payer.

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Using out of state taxpayers to fund your citizens' health care is a double edged sword.

What happens to current for-profit medical facilities? Do the Vermont storm troopers take them over, Chavez style?

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Either you are being disingenuous or did not read the article. Of course the hospitals are going to be against it. They could be right I don't think any knows knows until its implemented.

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Sounds good. VT is only about 625,000 people and possibly the least diverse state in the union.

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

yep, and the doctors take to their mountain hideaways, staging a Randian work stoppage as parasites lay dying in the streets. Paul 2016!

Meanwhile back in reality, the grown ups will probably figure something out.

8. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

I don't get this whole bit about diversity, anything but the American system has basically been proven to do well with, well, everybody in the developed world, it's not as if Britain doesn't have an explosive amount of demographic diversity, or Canada neither.

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

At least they are taking the proper amount of time to study and implement their plan. It looks like the projected cost increase amounts to about $1000/person. I can't figure out if that is a one time cost or if that is recurring somehow. If it's a one time cost then that is not bad.

10. Northside Storm

texxx can be sly, but point out that about 45,000 uninsured per year died prematurely under the broken American system, and ask him how much a life is worth. that might give some pause.

11. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Where do you place the value of an additional year of life? How does it vary depending on circumstances?

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I was just noting that VT is extremely homogenous and small. It's going to be easier for them to agree on plans because of that.

13. Northside Storm

I do agree with you on that, but I find the whole "American exceptionalism on healthcare" argument ("we're American, healthcare for others will never work for us")...grating I guess, so personally, any mention of "diversity" makes me think of that---

14. Northside Storm

well, apparently, in one instance it's a couple of thousand of dollars spent on better healthcare, and on another it's a couple of thousand of dollars spent on jailing people for "ending life", and between the two, I'd rather say the former was a better investment

15. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

blind faith in government experts gave us healthcare.gov

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

America has a lot of things that are jacked up with it. It amazing how successful and wasteful we are.

17. Northside Storm

it also, well, gave us the internet healthcare.gov was built on

lest we forget oh randian man-oracle-gods

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

19. ling ling

ling ling Member

What is Vermont's demographics and high school graduation rate?

20. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I think you're giving the 'government' a little bit too much credit. There is the productive and innovative side of the government, such as NASA, USPS, some of the three letter agencies and some aspects of military, then you have the complete opposite side, which is wasteful and stubborn that brings forth crap like the ACA.

There seems to be a distinguishing line between the two. One gets their jobs from merits and accomplishments, much like the private sector. The other side manipulates and distorts everything to get elected.