1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fantasy book series recommendation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by arno_ed, Nov 4, 2013.

1. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I'm looking for a new fantasy book series to read. I have read a lot of fantasy books already. So I thought I will ask Clutchsfans for help, since there are a couple of people here who read fantasy books. Please do no post spoilers in this thread.

I will give an overview of a couple of series which I liked so you know what my preference is:

I LOVED:
    Malazan Books of the Fallen
    Wheel of Time (Please no spoilers I haven't read the last book yet)

I really liked:
    The black company
    The Banned and the Banished
    Death gate cycle

I kind of liked the sword of truth series and the dragonlance series, but they were very simplistic IMHO.

I did not like:
    I'm not a big fan of Robin Hobb (I did like the Farseer trilogy and the tawny man trilogy)
    The Dwarves (Marcus Heitz)

Which book series do you all recommend?

1 person likes this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Thomas Covenent the unbeliever
    Magic Kingdom for sale
    The Shannara series
    LOTR

DD

3. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Sorry, but other than Lord of the Rings, these are pretty weak choices in my opinion.

Mistborn Trilogy - Brandon Sanderson (can't go wrong)
    Kingkiller Chronicles - Patrick Rothfuss (may want to hold off on this because the 3rd book isn't out yet, and you'll be Jonesing for a finale)
    The Dresden Files - Jim Butcher (takes place in modern day Chicago, but probably the most entertaining series of books I've read recently. 14 books so far about a wizard running a private investigator practice. They get better and better as the series progresses)

4. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

If you pm me your email address I have a Google doc full of book reviews I've done. Based on what you posted it sounds like we have a very similar taste/experience in books.

1 person likes this.
  5. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

A Song of Fire and Ice

6. Raven

Raven Member

7. famicom

famicom Member

Heard this was a good fantasy book series

[​IMG]

8. M.G.

M.G. Contributing Member

Absolutely love the Kingkiller Chronicle. First book is The Name of the Wind.

#9 M.G., Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  9. supdudes

supdudes Member

Go out side....

1 person likes this.
  10. likestohypeguy

I'm no connoisseur, just really enjoyed these three:

Tad Williams' Memory, Sorry & Thorn; and (more sci fantasy) Otherland. Also Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time. All three really good.

11. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Another vote for the Covenant trilogies. Very good stuff, far from weak.

12. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I have read the books. I like them a lot. Altough i do not need the sex scenes and sex talk.

I heard about Joe Abercrombie "book of the first law"has anyone read them are they good?

Darkhorse, I totally agree with you on Feist, It was sort of interesting at first but got boring fast.
    I couldn't get into the dark elf trilogy. It was to simple so i quit during the second book( I have to admit i read them when i was waiting for the last books of the Malazan book of the fallen, and I could not wait to read them).

If you liked dune you should read untill the third book (Children of dune) after that they got bad fast.

#13 arno_ed, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  13. False

False Member

Try:

1. Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss - classic fantasy story, but written in what is a non-traditional manner. Part of a series. Would highly recommend to all.

2. First Law by Joe Abercrombie - I wouldn't recommend this series for everyone, but given you like Malazan and Black Company, I think you might like it as it is more "gritty." Part of a series.

3. Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch - boy comes from nothing to become a thief. Once again another classic fantasy origin, but with a better than average delivery.

Would not recommend:

Codex of Alera or Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. Maybe the later Dresden files get better, but after reading all of Codex of Alara and the first Dresden files book, I found him to be a poor writer.

Its not a 100% overlap, but if you like more martial fantasy, you might appreciate military related sci-fi. Try:

1. Old Man's War by John Scalzi

2. The Forever War by Joe Haldeman

1 person likes this.
  14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

/thread.

15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Second the Abercrombie and Rothfuss books.

I also loved the Runelords and the Demon Cycle (painted man) books.

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Not sure if this qualifies as fantasy, but I would like to suggest "Sons of Gods - the Mahabharata Retold" by Aruna Sharan. It is a novelization of the Indian mythological epic, the Mahabharata. You can download an e-book from Amazon for a few dollars.

17. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

The Bible

Kidding

A Song of Fire and Ice and the LOTR series are very good

peleincubus likes this.
  18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Probably not a true 'fantasy' series, but you may want to try The Dark Tower by Stephen King.

19. Wapzoe

Wapzoe Member

Best book i've read and i read a lot of fantasy.. This book is miles above almost all fantasy today IMO

Patrick Rothfuss is absolutely amazing