1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Babby: Starver's letting Nash walk, won't spend a dime, ready to tank

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by emjohn, May 3, 2012.

1. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

We'll take gortat off there hands as a favor, he would produce to many wins. Our 2012 pick(s) and a young'n for gortat?

3. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Gortat for picks + Dally's waiveable salary?

4. CCorn

CCorn Member

Thabeet, err I mean Hill,, Uh Well....

Morris and a pick for Gortat?

Then they can have the sub towers of twins.

5. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

If they're letting Nash walk, but are going to tank, I suppose they won't be taking a run at Dragic?

I am starting to lean towards making Lowry the backup, and if he doesn't like it shipping him off. Any chance we could pry Gortat from them with Lowry and others? Gortat and Camby > Camby and Dalembert imo

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It doesn't say anything at all about tanking. And, seeing how they're built and how the GM is talking, they look a lot like the Rockets. They have a group of young veterans on reasonable contracts that would be a good supporting cast for a franchise player -- which they don't have. I expect they'll do like Morey, trying to be respectable and slowly build up the team.

What he's saying makes sense. There's a lot of teams with cap space this season, but only one max free agent on the market. Chances are, a lot of free agents are going to get overpaid this summer due to an excess of buyers. It sounds like they are willing to go another season being bad-to-mediocre to keep their cap flexibilility for 2013.

What I do think is interesting is that Nash is going to entertain a return to Phoenix. Of teams competing with the Rockets for Dragic, Nash can take one out (if not Phoenix, then a contending team with a full MLE). But, Phoenix will probably want to defer on a decision with Nash until they work out the rest of their offseason (possibly including an offer to Dragic), which could increase bidding on Dragic.

What do you think Nash will make next year? He was still worth the $10m he made last season. But, at this stage in his career, he could easily accept an MLE or luxury-tax-mini-MLE to play for who he wanted.

1 person likes this.
  7. faraza84

faraza84 Member

Dont the suns still have their amnesty. They should use it on childress and add to their cap room and just frontload a lot of players that are free agents.

They have a good center in gortat but they need to fill the 1, 2, 3 and 4

I guess the max they can open up would be 17 which without decent pieces would be hard to get a contendingt team out of.

8. emjohn

No FO figure would ever announce that publicly as their intention (or ever has), especially during Renew Your Season Tickets Season.

Nash: FA
    Hill: FA
    Brown: FA

You've got Dudley, Frye, Gortat, Morris, Warrick, Childress, and probably Lopez (RFA) left.

Nash has already said he's not staying if they don't try to compete, which they won't. This is Starver, the guy that's done nothing but let stars walk and the budget tighten his entire time on as owner. He "wants to stay, but..."

Phoenix is about to be the worst team in the West.

I wouldn't be surprised if Gortat is made available, on the condition that a bad contract goes with him (Childress)

I'd call them about Martin plus the Knicks or Dallas pick for that deal.

#8 emjohn, May 3, 2012
    Last edited: May 3, 2012
  9. lightningferron

10. Mariachi ROCKET

^^ Hahahahaa!!! ^^ Get Er Done Chubs!!!!

11. Nook

Nook Member

I don't think the Suns are sure what/how they are going to go about rebuilding. Nash will be gone, if for no other reason other than the fact that he said he would only comeback if the Suns improve... they clearly are not going to improve.

They have a big trade piece in Gortat, whom is in the top 5 centers in the NBA and has a reasonable contract. I am split on the Rockets getting him. He is relatively young and durable and makes reasonable money, but he is NOT a franchise player. With him we make the playoffs this year, and at best are on the level of the Grizz... but I think I would rather just rebuild.

12. Nook

Nook Member

Man... Morey is aging at an unreal rate, he is quickly entering the Meatloaf waistline territory and always looks depressed.....

Seriously, take a couple weeks off, turn your cell phone off and go on a low carb diet.... Does not matter how hard you work if you drop dead from a heart attack or choke to death on a spare rib...

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Dragic
    Bud
    Parsons
    D-Mo
    Gortat

Cue the music from Jim Carrey's take on Vanilla Ice's 1990 hit (as performed on In Living Color; yes, I'm middle-aged):

Da dum da da da da da dum dum.... (white, white, baby....)

14. emjohn

I look at it like this - there doesn't figure to be anyone where we pick in the draft able to step in at C and play at the level of Gortat - best case scenario is a project like Leonard, Melo, etc that could develop after 3 years along the lines of Hibbert (who's still an inconsistent 13-9 guy) or Bynum (who needed 4 years to start coming into his own).

In this league, a true franchise center comes along once or twice a generation. Really opening things up, we've had Shaq, Duncan, Yao, Howard, and Bynum come along in the past 20 years.

Reality is, you'll do fine if you can just get a top 10 center and find your franchise player at a different position (still, the bigger the better if you want to win championships). Chandler, M Gasol, Noah, Monroe, Gortat, Jefferson, Jordan...stick one of those guys at the 5, land a premier 4 or 3, fill in the rest, and go run the table.

I still advocate putting up the farm to land Howard, but if it's just not going to happen, and you don't see the next surprise C in the draft, it's time to start looking for one of those other guys.

I wanted M Gasol a lot, but Memphis was smart enough to make sure he stayed. I'm still relieved we didn't end up with Pau's attitude and contract. I do think Gortat rotating with Camby would lay the foundation for a strong return the postseason. We lost a lot of games when our charmin frontcourt got crushed by a large 4/5 tandem.

#14 emjohn, May 3, 2012
    Last edited: May 3, 2012
  15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Good point!

16. conquistador#11

Get gortat, DD! I mean Maury!

Gortat/camby
    Luifa/Dmo
    Parsons/bud
    Lee/dragic/rookie
    lowry/dragic

50 win team. Why? because Mctalky will no longer have an excuse to take out a center and let the other team abuse us in the rebounding going down the stretch.

17. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Agreed which is why if we got another vet, I wouldn't be mad if it was him. He's a top 10 center (which is kinda sad when you think about it) in this league. Great defense and decent offense.

Gogi
    (upgrade SG. Really want Beal or Harden)
    Parsons
    Dmo
    Gortat

If we can somehow find a potentially great SG, we could be a legit threat by 2013-14 season. There would be tons of potential on that team.

18. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

I suspect they'll tank.

But all he's really said so far is that they won't overpay in this poor FA year. That they won't overspend on bad contracts. (which is a policy so far only openly endorsed by NYK -- and past Dallas teams) He's heading off expectations of a ground breaking move that they probably couldn't make anyways.

But he hasn't used the 'rebuilding' word yet. Just that they're looking for that 'dynamic scorer' but may not get him this summer and that they won't blow their cap room just because they can.

19. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

not sure about the ready to tank part...

20. what

what Member

Gorat is not that good. He is a product of Nash. He has very little post presence, but sadly he's better than anybody the rockets have at center.