1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Jerusalem Post] Omri Casspi worked out with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jsmee2000, Jun 11, 2008.

1. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

article link

Basketball: Casspi confident ahead of NBA draft

Omri Casspi believes he has a good chance of being selected in the first round of this year's NBA draft.

The Maccabi Tel Aviv forward will be working out for numerous NBA teams this month, looking to be picked in the first round of the draft on June 26 and becoming the first Israeli to play in the NBA.

"From what I'm hearing, there's a good chance that happens," Casspi wrote of his chances of being selected in the first round in a blog on hoopshype.com.

"There's a couple of teams [can't say names] that have expressed a lot of interest. Time will tell, as usual."

Casspi worked out for the Houston Rockets on Wednesday, the sixth team in his tour of North America.

The 19-year-old left Israel at the start of last week and has already been scrutinized by coaches from the Miami Heat, Detroit Pistons, Memphis Grizzlies, Denver Nuggets and Cleveland Cavaliers.

"My routine this month is working out for teams in consecutive days, then getting a day off," Casspi wrote. "It's a pretty hectic schedule, but you still get to have some fun going from one city to the other.

"These workouts are tough. It's all very intense. You have to shoot a lot and they make you play 1-on-1, 2-on-2 and 3-on-3 all the time."

Of Maccabi Casspi wrote: "Very often with European players, clubs make it hard for them to leave for the NBA.

"That's not the case with me and Maccabi. They have been really supportive throughout. On one hand, they don't want to lose me.

"On the other, they have wished the best of luck to me and I feel they honestly want me to have success here. Going back to Maccabi is a good backup plan, but I'd rather be in the NBA next season."

--

As skinny as this guy may look he is not afraid to get in your face. He definitely is a fighter and a project that has a lot of potential.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

3. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

This is the same guy who Dr. J and Rick Barry were scouting in Tel Aviv a couple weeks back, right? Looks like he's got potential.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I predict great things for this young feller. In the minor leagues.

AH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAAAAAA

[​IMG]

5. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Draft express has him going pretty early in the 2nd. The M.O. of the Rockets the last few years has been to grab a guy and see if he develops (Badiane and Spanoulis a few years back, Newley and Eliyahu more recently). Doesn't sound like he's really interested in hanging out in Israel and developing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NAmdN60G7g

As long as DaDakota doesn't start calling him the passion assassin or anything like that, it looks like he moves pretty well without the ball, and finishes well at the rim. Doesn't really show his ability to create his own shot, defend, or what his jumpshot looks like. From what it sounds like, the reason is -- he can't do any of those things.

We also may have some extra familiarity with him through watching the development of Eliyahu.

6. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

San Antonio : Argentina :: Houston : Israel?

7. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

I was wondering the same thing.

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

If he doesn't have much of a jumper,ball handling skills or defense he certainly shouldn't be considered with the 25th pick otherwise it would be a total waste of a potentially useful pick.

9. Roxfan73

Roxfan73 Rookie

Pretty much...Too bad that:

Argentina : Israel :: Shinola : Schitt

10. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I wouldn't spend a late first rounder on any European player, unless they're willing to come over immediately at that salary. The low first round salary slot is just too restrictive to compete against a decent Euro contract, as the Spurs found out with Tiago Splitter.

11. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

NIKEstrad, you're one of my favorite posters of all-time, but how dare you make a jab at the greatest nickname this board (or any other) has ever seen!!!! :mad:

12. hooroo

hooroo Member

I don't think Maccabi are as cashed up as other Euroleague teams.

13. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

Was this workout rid?

14. Shay

Shay Member

As an Israeli who knows him very well I can say that imo he will be in the nba sooner or later unlike Lior Elyihau , he got the potential and the desire.
    He got good size and athleticism at the 3 , and he may look skinny but he is still very strong and strength is not really his weakness.

He will be a role player never more than that , he plays good defense and hustles all the time , on offense he is improving his ability to put the ball on the floor and shoot of the dribble but he still needs to work on that area.
    he has nice spot up shooting ability but he mainly gets his offense from hustle points and cuts to the basket.
    He is a very aggressive layer and has a lot of confidence in himself.
    Overall he is a nice player and as an Israeli I love but he is not better than Rush , CDR , Bill Walker and those guys.

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Thanks for your input.

16. Shay

Shay Member

Sure anytime , I don't think he will stay in the draft , he sadi he will comback if he doesn't guranteed to be drafted in the 1st round and this is too strong of a draft for something like that to happen.

17. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

Coach likes these types of players.

18. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

draft the zohan.

19. adagio75

adagio75 Member

NO MORE CHUMPS!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is a guy that can't even get playin time overseas?? This is hilarious........... they say his weaknesses are
    • Jump-shot
    • Free throw shooting
    • Mid-range game
    • Strength
    • Advanced ball-handling skills
    • Off-ball defense/Awareness
    • Lateral quickness

Lol!!!! Why the hell would we want this kid???? I say again NO MORE CHUMPS!!!!!!!