1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What does Lin's breakout game mean going forward?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Beard, Dec 10, 2012.

Tags:
  1. FanOnGessner

FanOnGessner Member

One good game means nothing

2. demarco1

demarco1 Member

today i saw LIN play aggressive while harden is out, my point is LIN given a green light to bring his game, now, why lin was not effective, it is not because he is slump, but he is no green light to bring the ball and play like his playstyle, that's it, if later on harden comeback, he will be back like before, hope not, but that's might be the fact

3. Jedster

Jedster Member

Actually that's not really true.
    Lin has that ability to bring out the best in players who aren't celebrated as stars in the NBA.
    If you saw tonight's game, even though he scored a lot of points, the whole team was also rocking and the mood was great until the loss was obvious.

By him being better with 'non stars' around him, it means that the team will become a team where the players are more willing to put aside their individual egos, pass quickly and play team ball. Lin thrives in that situation as the floor general, even if he doesn't score the most points.

4. cytrynowa

cytrynowa Member

Good point... I do think Jeremy makes his teammates better in a way I'm not sure Harden does.

What does it mean going forward though?

Lin doesn't deal with egos (ie Melo) and politics? Or he stops being aggressive?

5. torocan

torocan Member

38 and 7 is pretty darn far from a "good game". It's by any definition a Spectacular game.

And interestingly enough, it's the 2nd game in his Very short career where he's put up 38 and 7... first against the Lakers, now against the Spurs. This is also after he's supposedly been "scouted" and is the primary focus of the Defense with Harden injured.

I don't think you understand exactly how DIFFICULT it is to put up 38 points and 7 assists in a game in the NBA, let alone TWICE.

How many other Guards in the NBA since 1980-81 have put up 38 and 7 at the age of 24 or younger while playing similar minutes? Let alone TWICE?

A grand total of 11 Guards aside from Jeremy Lin since 1980-81, between the ages of 18 and 24, playing 45 or fewer minutes (Lin played 42 minutes in this game, 39 minutes in the Lakers game), have put up 38 and 7 or better TWICE.

Here's the list... http://www.basketball-reference.com...3val=45&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=pts

Gilbert Arenas
    Kobe Bryant
    Ricky Davis
    Allen Iverson
    Kevin Johnson
    Michael Jordan
    Stephon Marbury
    Chris Paul
    Derrick Rose
    Dwyane Wade
    Russell Westbrook

In fact, even if you expand that list to players that have put up 38 points and 7 assists ONCE in their careers between the ages of 18 and 24, that TOTAL list is still only 28 players. 28 players in 31 years. Plus Jeremy Lin.

And if you're worried that I'm cherry picking stats, if you expand that to 38 points and 5 assists instead of 7, you STILL only get 14 players since 1980-81 to have done that TWICE between the ages of 18 and 24.

In fact, if you further reduce the bar to 35 points and 5 assists, you only yield ONE additional player for a total of 15 players since 1980-81 aside from Jeremy Lin.

Of guards that have put up 38 points and 7 assists against the Spurs, since 1980-81 there have been only 3 players. Rose, Jordan and Marbury.

AND if you expanded it to ALL positions, the total is only 5 players. Rose, Jordan, Marbury, Malone and Lebron James.

Now, the sample size is small. There's no telling how good Lin will be in the end. However, it's a far cry from "good" when you put up those kinds of numbers in a game, let alone MORE than one game.

And in my humble opinion, players with "average" potential just don't put up games like that, especially TWICE in less than a year, in his 45th start, and 84th career game.

How good will Lin be? No freaking idea. However, I'd bet dollars to donuts when all is said and done, he won't be "average".

2 people like this.
  6. lalala902102001

This is not a norm -- Lin is not going to score 30 points every night. However, I hope that this game gives him more confidence going forward in shooting the ball. Lately teams have just been backing off him and dare him to shoot. Lin needs to knock down these wide open shots. If he can shoot a better percentage from the perimeter his dribble penetration would be much more effective.

7. cytrynowa

cytrynowa Member

Thank you. Would rep you if I could.

How good Lin's career will be is a question mark -- and it depends very much on teams, injuries, coaching, etc -- but let's put the idea he's a scrub to rest.

8. pnr

pnr Member

Seriously, people act like it ain't no thang to drop near 40 points in an NBA game, and against a top 3 team in the league?

9. cytrynowa

cytrynowa Member

If Lin wasn't such a scrub, he could do it every night. Duh.

10. Luca

Luca Member

Lmao.

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lin took 21 shot attempts, will that happen again when Harden is back?

good to see him hit some outside shots.

12. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

True dat. You know they have another hoops show on sirius, right?

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lin had another 38 pts game with NY, several 20+ pts there
    and 18 pts so far until his 38 pts outburst

and he had only played a shortened season and 20 games so far

14. Luca

Luca Member

He was just being sarcastic.

15. Roxs

Roxs Member

Rockets could have won this game, but honestly, I don't care what their win/loss record is this year. I just want the future of this franchise- Harden/Lin/Asik/Parsons to play a lot of minutes and get experience under their belts.

As others have pointed out tonight, this game wasn't so much important because Lin had 38, it's important because it opened a lot of eyes -- eyes here, eyes on the team, and eyes on the coaching staff. Perhaps this will force Mchale and others to work harder on utilizing this team's strengths instead of forcing play styles that have not been working.

Asik had a better than mediocre offensive game.

Roxs lost, but this was a great game in terms of experience, and ya'll need to be more supportive of all the players on this young team.

It's crazy that some of you here still won't admit that Jeremy had a great game and that he's tremendously important to the future of the Rockets.

Those that think what Jeremy did in New York and what he did tonight is a fluke, really, really need to open their eyes...and read this article by statistical savant, Nate Silver (http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/11/jeremy-lin-is-no-fluke/)

16. Luca

Luca Member

Thank you for your brilliant post as usual.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

the one with Mateen Cleaves right?

18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Does his 38 point game cancel out all his 5 point games?

He might have the highest ceiling and lowest floor of anyone in the NBA.

Here is to hoping he starts running off a bunch of efficient 20 point games.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

this was a great game for lin, however we lost. i'm just happy he's got some mojo again.

it doesn't rank up there with Olajuwon's quadruple double though.

20. tinman

Supporting Member

Maxwell dropped 30 points in one quarter by himself and 50 overall and we won.
    but i'm sure the Lin game will be talked about for along long time here ;)