1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Travel advice] KL, Singapore and Penang

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DrNuegebauer, Oct 6, 2015.

1. cebu

cebu Member

it's an acquired taste.. at first i hated it, now im addicted.

2. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Gotta get some kopi luwak. There's no coffee as good as coffee made from coffee beans dug out of weasel poop.

3. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Might just pass on that one.... but the peer pressure might just get to me

4. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

alot of the stuff you can google. if you want to see a Malay village type setting in KL itself, you can try Kampung Bharu. More obscure food choices here as well in case you are adventurous.

my advise is download taxi apps (MyTaxi) or uber. learn the public transit system especially the trains, LRT (Light Rapid Transit) and Monorel system. Will save you a lot of dough and especially alot of grief being cheated by taxi drivers (our national embarrassment after our government).

shopping centers, KLCC, Pavillion are in the center of town.
    Mid valley and the Gardens are out of it a bit but can be reached by train.
    Low yatt if youre adventurous looking for cheap gadget accessories and PC/laptop/electronics. be prepared to be hassled. good tip is to head to the larger chains on top floors. phone casing from china can be found all over the mall.

try getting a body massage or spa session. plenty of good clean places you can bring the wife along for cheap. download groupon app for deals.

the haze is clearing up, so should be alright by the time you get here.

1 person likes this.
  5. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Thanks man - nice tip on Low Yat!
    Do you know of any good places where I can put my extreme bargaining skills to work? Like places to buy fake brands?

6. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

Honestly there arent that many or that good a fake in Malaysia. I guess KL would have most if youre comparing cities strictly in Malaysia. Google "Petaling Street" and "Chow Kit".
    As like every other city, come prepared and research what you want to do to get the best bargains, especially for family stuff. a lot of good deals for theme parks, restaurants, acquaria, KL tower.
    If you get lost or need any help, feel free to stop anyone and ask. generally malaysians are shy to start a conversation and they may see you struggling with a map and are just waiting for you to ask them.