1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Off Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Dec 30, 2014.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

:)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>It is clear that <a href="https://twitter.com/nfl">@nfl</a> footballs feel comfortable in <a href="https://twitter.com/JJWatt">@JJWatt</a>'s hands. That's all.

<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ProBowl?src=hash">#ProBowl</a> | <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/TeamCarter?src=hash">#TeamCarter</a></p>&mdash; Arizona Cardinals (@AZCardinals) <a href="https://twitter.com/AZCardinals/status/559547224913244160">January 26, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. awc713

awc713 Member

There's no pro bow thread, and this is semi-off season related, but Watt is getting too many minutes in the pro bowl.

It's the 4th Quarter and he's still playing. Maybe this doesn't piss anyone else off, but that's ridiculous that he's played the entire game.

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

It's ridiculous that you're complaining about this. He's the player that's the most into the game on the entire field. He probably won't come out. Besides, he's got MONTHS to rest.

4. Buck Turgidson

That's what Robert Edwards said.

The Pro Bowl is a total joke.

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

The 2015 Pro Bowl is in the books after Team Irvin bested Team Carter with a fourth-quarter comeback, winning, 32-28. They named two MVPs for the game, one on offense and one on defense. Detroit Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford was named offensive MVP, putting up over 300 yards and a pair of touchdowns in limited time. Defensive MVP went to Houston Texans defender J.J. Watt, who had a pick and defended multiple passes.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/1/25/7898475/matthew-stafford-jj-watt-nfl-pro-bowl-2015-mvp

6. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

That goes for pretty much everyone in the pro bowl except RB and QB. It's not like there are 150 players on the rosters. Everyone played pretty much the whole game...Duane Brown did as well.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rQUOTEr]Texans interested in Nick Foles?

According to a person familiar with the situation, but who requested anonymity, the St. Louis Rams have interest in Foles should the Eagles decide to trade him this offseason.

Foles' possible availability was a topic of conversation among coaches and scouts last week at the Senior Bowl, with the Tennessee Titans and Houston Texans also mentioned as teams that would have interest if Foles hit the market.

It is unclear if the Eagles are willing to move Foles. Their plans to explore options surrounding Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota — as reported by NJ Advance Media — in the NFL draft certainly indicate a weakened commitment to Foles.

Although he regressed last season, Foles still has a career completion percentage of 61.6, and he has thrown 46 touchdowns and only 17 interceptions in the past three seasons. Foles, the Eagles' starter until he injured his shoulder, missed the final eight games of the season as the team missed the playoffs.

Foles is coveted around the league.

"Love him," one NFL coach said of Foles. "Right now I would put him in the second or third tier of quarterbacks, but I think he is right on the cusp of being in the top tier at the position."

Coming off 27 touchdowns and only two interceptions in 2013, Foles finished with 13 touchdowns and 10 interceptions in eight games last season before fracturing his collarbone, an injury that would cost him the remainder of the season.

"A dropoff was expected," said an NFC scout. "I wouldn't be too concerned if I was Chip (Kelly). I think he'll be fine."

Foles inability to escape pressure was highlighted last season as the offensive line suffered through a season of injuries and poor play. The dropoff in the offensive line play from 2013 to 2014 left Foles running for his life at times, which proved to be a problem, especially when he got into the open field.

"He is a statue back there," the NFC scout said. "Guys like him, I don't worry, because I know where he is going to be."[/rQUOTEr]

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Yes, but he said it while playing a football game on a beach, moments before tearing his knee up. It didn't happen in the Pro Bowl. I don't believe a player has ever suffered a serious injury during the Pro Bowl.

9. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

"The Texans and Titans would both have an interest in Nick Foles if he were made available." - Charlie Campbell

10. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

What would it take to get him?
    I think Foles would be a good fit for the system Bill O'Brien runs in Houston.

11. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Well, they spent a 3rd rounder on him and he's improved his stock since then. Probably at least a 2nd, more likely a 2nd and another pick. Remember that the Texans gave up two 2nds for Schaub.

12. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

Does anyone feel now that the Aaron Rodgers calf hype has died down, that J.J. has a chance to take the MVP? I really think so now, and the Pro-Bowl was just more icing on the cake.

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

I think it depends on when the trade happens. Right now his value is higher because he is the best QB on the roster. If the Eagles are somehow able to get a better QB (i.e. Mariota) then Fole's value drops significantly. Either way, it will probably be a 4th rounder at worst.

14. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

icing on the cake was an exhibition game?? Rodgers will win and I think Watt finishes 3rd behind Aaron and Brady.

15. Hey Now!

If the Eagles really are targeting Mariota, then they'll want a 1 for Foles to help sweeten their offer to TB. Or Foles could be part of the package for 1-1.

16. Hey Now!

The voting is for the regular season ONLY; ballots are due before the playoffs even begin. So the postseason, including the vitally important Pro Bowl (seriously?), is not part of the process.

And this is true of EVERY major sports' award: Cy Young, NBA MVP, etc. etc.

I would think this was inherently obvious - if the postseason was in play, it would essentially override the regualr season and the MVP each and every year would be the SB MVP (or WS MVP, or Finals MVP...). It would also create an uneven playing field because some players would be able to pad stats while others would not.

Rodgers is going to win it; I think JJ finishes a distant 2nd.

17. Jet Blast

Jet Blast Contributing Member

18. Remii

Remii Member

Marcus Mariota...???

19. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Why?

Foles looked horrible until playing in Chip's fugazi offense.

Let me remind you BOB runs a real offense..

20. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I thought did well his rookie season, you know, considering he was a rookie.