1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 24, 2014.

1. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Minor League Opening Day is scheduled for Thursday, April 9, 2015. Here's who and where the affiliates will be up against on that night.

- The Fresno Grizzlies will play their first game as an affiliate of the Houston Astros at home as they host Las Vegas.
    - Corpus Christi is on the road to begin their season; they will open up in Springfield.
    - Lancaster begins their defense of their California League crown by hosting San Jose.
    - Quad Cities will play in Peoria to start off their season.

Short-season Opening Day is on June 19. Tri-City is on a season-opening roadtrip; they open up in Connecticut. Greeneville is also on the road; they're opening up in Bristol on the 22nd. I imagine that the GCL will begin on the 26th, and then the DSL teams on May 30.

And now with that out of the way, here are the top 10 prospects in the Houston Astros organization, as ranked by Baseball America. As is customary, they'll be hosting a chat in the afternoon.

10. Josh Hader

9. Teoscar Hernandez

8. Rio Ruiz

7. Colin Moran

6. Brett Phillips

5. Michael Feliz

4. Vince Velasquez

3. Mike Foltynewicz

2. Mark Appel

1. Carlos Correa

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Did I read the excerpt from Baseball America right in that they project both Ruiz and Moran in Corpus Christi?

3. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

Heh, I think they botched that one. Their expectations for where the prospects start 2015 are all pretty conservative. My best guess:

Josh Hader - Corpus
    Teoscar Hernandez - Corpus
    Rio Ruiz - Corpus
    Colin Moran - Fresno
    Brett Phillips - Lancaster
    Michael Feliz - Lancaster
    Vincent Velasquez - Corpus
    Michael Foltynewicz - Fresno
    Mark Appel - Fresno
    Carlos Correa - Corpus

Italics indicate difference vs BA

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure how much of Fresno these three will see. I know the Astros holding prospects back was all the rage this time last year, but I'm not so sure it holds true for Folty who could be a solid bullpen arm, Appel who actually caused a stir for be promoted too quickly, and Moran who has good bat to ball skills (granted he hasn't developed the power once his bat hits the ball nor the speed to be a threat on bases).

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

They also said they expected Ruiz to be a level behind Moran, so they definitely messed up. I think they believe both should be at AA, but that they will probably push one up or down to get the ABs.

I assume Moran will be in AAA, Correa in AA, & Velasquez in AA.

I think McCullers falling off the top 10, signals BA's belief that he will be in the bullpen.

6. Nook

Nook Member

I know they have tinkered with moving Moran to 2nd base.

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

That's interesting. I would not expect that he could make that move.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Seems like we have a good bat-to-ball second baseman :)

9. Nook

Nook Member

I don't know if it is just to get his bat in the line up along with Rio's or if they really think he will play 2nd base long term. If he is going to play 2nd base long term, he will almost have to be dealt with (as Max says) the best contact second baseman since Rod Carew 35 years ago already in Houston.

10. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Wow Phillips is 6th ahead of Moran and Ruiz. Not surprised that McCullers fell off the top 10. I wonder how many top 100 prospects we have. I was thinking that Moran would for sure be in, but that would mean that Phillips is in too.

11. awc713

awc713 Member

We have so much depth to package in a trade, not even considering our 2 top 5 picks this summer as well as the rest of this summer's haul.

I really hope we package some of these guys for a Justin Upton or Johnny Cueto type player. We're at the point where we can lose some prospect depth for the sake of actually getting a star...

We deserve it after what we've gone through since 2006...

12. htownbball

htownbball Member

Does anyone know what happend to Aiken and Nix? Did they ever enroll in school??

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

No... junior college if anything, both plan on being draft eligible next year (some mock's even have Aiken #1 again).

I think the Nix case is still ongoing... Astros may be forced to sign him or come to some sort of settlement.

14. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

if the astros are forced to sign nix, that means they forfeit two draft picks, correct?

15. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Correct, unless they come to some sort of agreement lessening their punishment (speculation, I honestly have no clue if this is a feasible idea)

16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

No. IIRC the Astros would settle with Nix, as in cash settlement.

17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I know Aiken enrolled in a JUCO. Not sure about Nix.

18. vince

vince Member

cash settlement would be likely outcome. since he did not sign, the draft picks should be safe. the astros were in constant communications with the MLB office, and the did everything with the commissioners office in the loop.

if anything it would be a cash settlement.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Source says the Astros will name Rodney Linares manager in Corpus, Omar Lopez will move to Lancaster and Josh Bonifay will move to QC.</p>&mdash; Brian McTaggart (@brianmctaggart) <a href="https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/542366669578829825">December 9, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

20. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

For the minor league experts here, what sites would you say are the "best" when it comes to minor league info? I'm in a pretty large $ dynasty fantasy league and we go really deep in our minors rosters. I know a few of you guys follow prospects very thoroughly and would be interested in who you thought was the best source

Thanks for any input