1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We lost the 1st round pick, but we have a 2nd round pick right?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Cipherous, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Cipherous

Cipherous Contributing Member

If you guys watch Maryland, they won the championship last year but they lost 4 of their starters. Yet, they're one of the top 10 teams in the league thanks to their point guard Steve Blake. Steve Blake is a pure point guard, he lacks a shooting touch but he knows how to distribute the ball and HE PLAYS HIS HEART OUT! In my opinion, if you guys think Juan Dixon is good, you have to see Steve Blake. Blake is better than Chris Duhon or eve TJ Ford, Blake has a team first mentality and Maryland's record shows it.

However, point guards are easy to come by and they're very easily over looked. Thats why I think we could get Blake with a 2nd round pick due to all that talent is coming out. If you guys want some energy and some hustle, I think Steve Blake could be a good fit for the Rockets.

Steve Blake

2. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

God. WE WOULD BE FILLED WITH MARYLANDERS!!!
    But sure. If he's good. And he's not taken.
    SURE!!!
    If he's better than Juan Dixon...:eek: as in WOW!!!
    I would take him if he's better than TJ Ford. I would like TJ Ford!!!

Sure. But you gotta tell Carroll. :)

And I still think we have to sign a shooter.

3. Nova

Nova Member

Blake would be a nice pg to have on this team. A bit streaky, but nice. We could be set at pg for a long time then. I kinda doubt he'll fall to us though.

4. ptw1

ptw1 Member

I've watched Blake play for MD for the past 4 years. He has heart. a good spot up jumper, and is a solid passer/defender. BUT, to even compare he's close to being in the class of Dixon is just plain crazy.

5. Jaybird

Jaybird Member

Heh, Blake's shooting .437 from behind the Arc right now, and he's been getting better as the season progresses. He's shooting .471 in ACC play. He's really made strides to improve that facet of his game. His shooting inside the arc is a little more questionable, but that's more a factor of him taking tough runners off dribble penetration. He's at his best when he can drain the three or make the good pass to the open man.

6. Jaybird

Jaybird Member

As a simple basketball player, Dixon wins hands down

As a potential NBA point guard, at this point and time Blake is the much better prospect due to having the requisite skills already.

7. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Someone want to please explain to me that if the Rockets aren't giving playing time to a #15 pick (Nachbar) why they are going to give any playing time to a #35+ pick? And don't give me the crap about Mobley being a 2nd rounder...so was Langhi. Oh yea...Langhi actually plays quality minutes in PHX...imagine that...

8. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

I don't know about next year draft. But it seems PGs can be easily picked in a draft, even in the second round. If we are lucky enough to pick a good guard, then we can have a trade.

9. scotia

scotia Contributing Member

Noop, Sir!!
    2nd round draft was gone with Posey's 3 party trade....;)

10. Glyyde

Glyyde Member

Tito Maddox seems to play better than Moochie according to lots of ppl here..... but he isn't seeing much playing time...... 2nd round pick......

Rockets seldom use their Draft pick unless they are force to.....

11. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

Although the Rockets owe the Nuggets a second-rounder, the terms of the trade were that it would be a future second-rounder, not necessarily this years' second-round pick.

12. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Do you know why teams like Maryland, Duke, Kansas, etc are consistently good...

THEY PLAY WITHIN THE SYSTEM...

They don't try to do something that's not there, force shots, collapse on D, etc...

They all know there roll (e.g. TEAM CONCEPT)...

:mad:

13. Darrinlane

Darrinlane Member

I think that was in like 2006 or something...could b wrong tho

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

You have got to be kidding about Ford. TJ is the best point guard in the country right now. I would rate Blake no better than 5 or 6. Ford, Hollis Price(OU), Dwayne Wade (Marquette), Troy Bell (BC), Brandin Knight (Pitt) are all better than Steve Blake. Blake reminds me of a poor man's Brent Price. Yes, he can hit a 3, he can pass, but he can not keep up with the physical game that is the NBA. Simply put, Blake would get his butt kicked every time he stepped on the court.

15. skymaster187

skymaster187 Member

You have to be a total *** to post that.

How do you like it?:rolleyes:

16. scotia

scotia Contributing Member

17. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I don't know...

Ask your Mom and your Sister and they'll tell you...

:cool:

18. SlamN

SlamN Member

Hollis Price is not a PG, although with his lack of height he may be forced to play that position. TJ Ford is one of the top PGs in the nation (if not the best). Ridnour of Oregon is also in that same class of top PGs.

Blake would be a good option if the Rockets still have the 2nd rounder. Although it seems unlikely since Moochie is inked for a couple of more years (and will be tough to trade).

19. hardeji

hardeji Member

Kirk Hinrich will stick at the PG with some team. He's played PG most of his career; and will be a 12 year player. He's got the sizew (6'4") and athleticism to make a statement in the league. The only thing about Ford is his lack of height (5'10"), plus, he gets forced into taking ill-advised shots (hence his lower %). I wonder if he can drive as readily against bigger, faster players. Dewann (?) Wagner is having the same problems this year and he's a comparable talent.
    By the way, Dixon will be an all-star in 4 years. He's outstanding.