1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marcus Morris

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jopatmc, May 6, 2012.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

If only this was your previous post, I wouldn't have bothered responding. How was I suppose to interpret "and he was drafted...at 14th?" into the stuff you just said above?

People aren't psychic, you know?

2. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Include him along with picks and try move up.

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Who comes in and produces being cold? Morris got spot minutes and thus every time he did so he looked below average. Expected. You give a guy 5 minutes here and then 2 weeks later give him 3 minutes what are you expecting? That's why they have preseason, that's why when players are coming back from injuries they don't expect them to come back and dominate.

As for "He doesn't deserve it." Well alright coach. I'll take your word for it.

4. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

I wasn't on the Morris train at first, but i've came to realize that he's the only player on the roster right now that has the potential to become a star.

And being an athlete myself, I know how important it is to get significant minutes to develop and evolve.

I've been saying this for the past few years, but its time to let these young guys play even if we're going to lose a couple of games.

Look how pleasantly surprised we've been when players got an opportunity (Lowry, Dragic). Lin showed us that to and i'm sure T-Will could of had.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I like Morris' ability to raise up and get a shot off over the defender, but comparing what his abilities are vs. a Paul Pierce or Melo is not fair at all. Melo and Pierce both have some of the best first steps off the dribble in the game today even at their ages. That cannot be taught. Morris has never had that, or the handles to drive to the lane.

Its funny that the tools that Morris is lacking to really be that guy are the tools that Parsons has. Parsons has a very good first step and can create very well off the dribble and P&R. Another thing about Parsons is he can also create for others off the P&R.

According to synergy sports it looks like Chandler's efficiency creating shots is bad, but even though his % looks bad, he's still opening up the offense way more than an iso scorer like Morris could.

In a perfect world you would be able to merge the abilities of Morris's shooting & post scoring abilities with Parsons first step, penetration, & passing abilites to create the perfect offensive player.... but in all reality those two players are probably closer to being who they are now in comparison to what they could be in a few years.

They both will become more efficient and settle into their roles in the next two seasons. They both could be very good players, and might even make an all-star team at some point. But saying the Rockets should run the offense through either of them as if they were Paul Pierce or Carmelo Anthony isnt fair to Morris or Parsons.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Dragic has the potential to become a star, and Chandler Parsons has more potential than Morris at this point as well.

DD

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I understand your point, but just as important as it is to get consistent minutes is the importance of having a coach put you in a position for your to succeed rather than being plug in a situation where you are not going to excell.

Morris was not ready to be a wing player in the NBA this year. Thats a fact, and if you saw him play even in the D-League, there were times where in was obvious that he still has alot to learn especially on the defensive end.

He can learn on the fly a little bit, but what he really needs is a full Summer and training camp with the coaching staff. He's got alot of bad habits that if you let linger, could stick with him with his entire career.

Thats just on defense, on offense the coaches also have a big task at hand. Going into next year, its the coaches job to work in some sets on offense that really allow Marcus to get to his spots and create shots within the offense. If they wanted to post up Marcus, or put him in an iso situation, the offense just went flat, and make him and everyone else look terrible. They have to learn how to put in sets that help him get where he's comfortable, and help the team.

8. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

I agree with OP. Morris is in a special situation where Bud&Parsons are all starting quality players and the team wouldn't want to take chances in playoff push. Just like Lin wouldn't show his skills after Lowry/Dragic.

I do think both Parsons and PPat has star potential to succeed in ISO.

9. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

ORL has read the OP and has decided they must have Morris included in the trade at all costs.

Positive posting...the ultimate in improving trade values.

1 person likes this.
  10. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

LOL. Good one.

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

The Cxbby thread on Morris was the worst thing that could have happened to Morris on Clutchfans.

12. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

BUDINGER!

13. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I don't understand how you or the OP have even seen enough of Marcus to even make that analysis.

Obviously I can't say he will ever be a Melo/Pierce type player but a lot of you haven't even given the guy a chance because we had Chandler Parsons playing the forward position over him... and that's everyone else's argument for him supposedly "sucking" without playing consistent minutes....

Think of it this way Chase was beat out by a rookie (CP) and he has about the same skillset as Marcus, all offensive... and he has NBA experience. So why would you want to throw out 2 rookies which one has less experience at the NBA level at something another player on the team may be able to do more efficiently?

The problem on this team was trying to stop penetration (yes, yes that's what she said) by guards and Chandler was the best player available to do that.

I won't call Morris a bust till I actually see him get a chance. And for you all to do so without even see him get regular PT is a damn shame.

14. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I agree with the OP. He only got 126 minutes this year, have a feeling a fair amount of people are going to be very surprised on how morris performs next season.

15. jopatmc

My response to that drivel was facetious. It is ridiculous to make the claim that he doesn't have enough arc on his shot. I posted the vid to show you his shot is not flat.

16. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Sorry I know that did come off clear. I meant how did you know he is the next Melo/Pierce type player and how does he get that his shot is flat, without even seeing him play... I know he's not a Kansas fan. I also missed your videos you posted but that was just plain dumb. If you want to see flat see Tracy's shot.

Anyway, too base his succeding in the league on his shot arc is ridiculous but like I said he needs some more PT for us to really make a decision on how good or bad he is. My guess is he won't be as bad as most of you make him. His offense is good but his defense needs work which is the opposite with Chandler so it may help them to work against each other this offseason.

17. jopatmc

I don't know that he will make it to that level.

All I am saying is of all the players on this current roster, he's the only one that has a chance to get there. Lee isn't getting there. Parsons, while he will be good, will not get there. He just doesn't have that type of game to take guys off the dribble and get that jumper in their grill like Pierce/Anthony/Bryant can. There is only one guy on our roster that has the potential to get there. That's all I'm saying.

But you got the naysayers that say there's no way and trashing the thread instead of talking about what is realistic.

The truth is Morris is the only guy on this roster with the potential to become all that. The other truth is the odds are against him just like they are against most every other player in the NBA becoming that type of player after having a failed rookie season. I understand that. But there is no one else that has the potential to rise that far. I don't know that Morris will. He may be a total bust. But he's the only guy with that kind of upside potential on this current roster.

And we chose to waste an entire season stretching to make the playoffs instead of giving him the rock and letting him fire it. That's a choice this organization is going to have to live with for a long time. It was clear in January that we were going nowhere. They could have turned this roster over in this lock-out shortened season, discovered Gogi in the process (which we did anyways), thrown out Gogi,Parsons, Morris, Smith, and Patterson and let them play their behinds off, lost a lot mroe games, got better lottery picks, gotten a lot of experience, and learned what we had in Morris instead of scraping and scrimping to get to #8, only to get blown away by OKC if we had made it and all the other stuff that this season turned in to.

I do not feel like Morris got a legitimate opportunity to grow and develop this season with the big club. McHale caught lightning in bottle with Parsons being a defensive digger and a slasher with good size and hops and he went with Parsons. I think we should have gone ahead and turned the ship over to the youngsters in January and let this thing play out while making definitive trades at the trade deadline. So what! We didn't.

But in the process we lost the opportunity to see what Morris could be. While we pretty much know what everybody else already is.

18. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

Stop embarrassing me in front of the guys, Mom!

-MM

19. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Morris' future value lies in pick-n-pop and high-post face-up situations, where he can utilize his jumper. He does not have star potential, so stop kidding yourselves. He can handle better than most 4s, but you'd hope he would at 6-8 230...the problem is he does not have an NBA-perimeter level handle or quickness, and I highly doubt he ever will.

He'll be a defensive liability against 3s or 4s, so ideally he'll be out there with a guy (Parsons?) who can guard the opposing teams' better forward, regardless of whether he's inside or out.

In other words, I don't want to give up on him, but I wouldn't think twice about throwing him in a deal if we get good value back in return.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

There is a guy with true jinxing powers

DD