1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do we really want Terrence Morris?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by alaskansnowman, Jan 4, 2001.

1. alaskansnowman

http://www.hoopstv.com/HTVPro3183_2.html

Projected Pick: #26

26. Terence Morris - Maryland, F, 6-10 - He’s disappointment personified. Once thought to be a possible #1 overall pick, T-Mo’s stock has sunk faster than Tom Hanks’ plane in Cast Away. One scout was heard saying about his decline: "He’d be lucky to get drafted in the 1st round." Ouch.

I know Morris is always one of the "athletic defensive minded" type sf's that are always mentioned in replacement to Walt in the upcoming draft. I havent seen this guy play at all ( I dont watch too much college bball)... So what do you all think about this lil piece? What are the opinions of the people that have actually seen him play this season?

But this has a positive spin to it also. Since his stock is dropping, if we still want him, then we should be able to get him pretty easily. The question is: do we?

------------------
    da ability to focus attention on important things is a defining characteristic of intelligence - alaskanSnowman

2. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

The way i see it, we will have at least 2 picks in the top 22 this year. He probably will be available up to this range. This is a very deep draft. But i would rather for for some size.

------------------
    "Kenny, The Basketball scientist, Whoo Hoo."
    Charley B, on TNT

3. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

No, I want topics that are draft related to be posted in the Draft Forum.

[​IMG]

------------------
    President of the Moochie Norris Fan Club - est. 99-00

4. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

YES.

What have the past drafts told you about the players that Rockets typically draft?

1. Seniors
    2. Top HS prospects
    3. Underachievers in college
    4. Versatile
    5. CHEMISTRY

Morris fits all those descriptions to a tee.

------------------
    Draftsource.net

5. Summer Song Giver

Jury is still out for me on this guy,I will say this;there are a whole bunch of players who I'd rather see in the pinnies next year starting with Eddie Griffin and Zach Randolph.

------------------
    Now chew through my ball sack

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Unless some dumbass team allows us to trade up, Griffin won't be available. I think Morris and Randolph would be great pickups. I don't know about what this scout said, though. Morris just scored 26 in a game with lotsa boards and assists. Maybe he defers too much. I think he would be Steve's Pippen (except, of course, that Pip is a bee-yotch).

------------------

7. Steve_Francis_rules

I think he would still be a good pick in the mid first round. Remember that KT was a disappointment in college, but he has turned out pretty well for a late first round pick

------------------

8. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

Morris may be disappointing in college, but when you think about what the Rockets need out of a 3, he would probably be a pretty good fit. He's athletic, can play defense (or at least block shots, which is more than you can say of Walt...not so sure if he's gonna shut down dribble penetration from some of the quicker 3s) but most of all, if you've seen the guy play, he has a SWEET stroke on his jumper--it just looks natural, effortless.

He may not have the mental framework to take a team on his shoulders and be "the man," but with Cat already on the squad that role is taken up five times over...

------------------

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

why do we need a SF when our frontline is undermanned and our team is overloaded in gaurds to the point of winning with a guard lineup?

Rudy and CD are not picking SF next year...bet me!!!

10. verse

verse Contributing Member

i'd MUCH rather have battier and get rid of shandon.

he's shandon with a jump shot.
    he's walt williams with defense.

and he's an EXTREMELY intelligent ball player.

------------------
    :mad:

11. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

He's going to be a Top 5 pick.

------------------

12. verse

verse Contributing Member

yeah, i think you're probably right.

but, maybe with the big men (curry, chandler, diop, woods, et al) coming out he'll get pushed down to around #9.

in that case, depending on our season, there is hope.

------------------
    :mad:

13. haven

haven Member

I love Shane Battier, but think he'd be a reach in the top 5. I think that everyone has become sort of infatuated with his decision to graduate, off-the-court excellence, and heady on-court play. Granted, those are increasingly rare aspects with modern draft prospects, but they do not a top 5 pick make. In the NBA, those things will all be important, but I'm not completely sold on his physical ability. I certainly think Battier has a future in the NBA, and I would love for Houston to take him (although i love Shandon, too)... I just think he would be too much for the top 5. Maybe 10-15 or so.

------------------
    Shandon Anderson rocks.
    The lottery sucks. Playoffs 2001.

14. Live

Live Member

In a perfect world, given his versatility, heady play, and athleticism, Battier would be a top 8 pick, but because of the stiffs (Woods, Chandler, Curry, Haywood) who will be entering this year's draft and the demand for said stiffs, Battier will probably slide to 13-17 range. WHAT A SHAME!!

Terrence Morris = Derrick McKey

------------------
    "ON-BEE-TAH-BULL!!", Hakeem Abdul Olajuwon, alumnus, University of Houston

15. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

While I personally do not entirely disagree with your assessment, I think some team out there will snatch him up early -- definitely before 10 to 15.

As for the original question posed in this thread, I'd be thrilled if Morris' stock slipped. If we get a shot at him at after the top 15 picks, I say we absolutely take him.

------------------

16. Digaida

Digaida Member

If the we are in the lottery, I wouldn't mind a little luck, lol. Griffin....but in case that doesn't happen, draft big man with first pick, and grab Mo with 2nd pick late in draft.

Sure the hell wouldn't mind Griffin though [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

------------------

17. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I say aim for Morris and Battier in the draft. Second round try and get the kid from SMU just because he is from Texas [​IMG]

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

18. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

Shane Battier is a great college basketball player...that being said, I don't think he'll be a great NBA player. Like Haven mentioned before, his physical abilities aren't going to allow him to be as great defensively in the NBA as he is in college. He does have a nice shot, though. But either way, I wouldn't be surprised to see him slip into the 20s unless a team that already has some key core talent wants to pick up a good character guy. Remember Chris Carrawell?

------------------

19. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Battier is not going top 5 - bet me!

In regards to Terrence Morris, I have seen flashes, but he has never really impressed me that much.

We need to go BIG.

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

20. Steve_Francis_rules

I don't want to get rid of Shandon.

------------------