1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Music] Most underrated 80's hard rock/metal band

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mikus, Feb 11, 2014.

1. mikus

mikus Member

For all the old-timers, or the "old at heart". What hard rock/metal bands do you like from the 80's that are obscure and underrated? Not looking for the well known guys like Van Halen, Motley Crue, Poison, etc.

For me, some of my old favorites that I think are underrated:

LA Guns
    Dokken
    Ratt
    Babylon AD
    Lynch Mob
    Danger Danger
    Tesla

2. what

what Member

cinderella
    ronnie james dio

3. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Badlands
    Fastway
    Triumph

4. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

What ? both of these were highly rated , in fact i'd say cinderella was over rated

How about Kings X

5. mikus

mikus Member

Dio was around a long time, but never found huge success. Good one.

I also like Badlands and Triumph.

I like Cinderella too but mostly just the 1st album.

6. what

what Member

Even though their SONG get overplayed: europe. To be honest, the final countdown was far more popular today than it was in my day when it was released. I played eurpose non-stop when that album came out.

7. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Krokus....they even still put out records and had a pretty good one come out last year.

8. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Any band that got a ton of airplay cannot be considered underrated.

Therefore Cnderella, Europe and the top three in the OP are right out.

Triumph, Tesla, Badlands, Metal Church, Lynch Mob were all criminally underrated.

9. what

what Member

Tesla didn't get a ton of air play?

10. mikus

mikus Member

I was a huge fan of Tesla from their 1st album on. What got the most airplay was 5 man acoustic jam, my least favorite album by far and "Signs" my least favorite song by them as well. In fact I would go so far as to say I hate that song.

11. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Exactly.

While they got a bit of airplay from Signs, they were never in a rotation on FM rock radio.
    If you ask casual fans of mid 80s rock, most wouldn't know anything but Signs, and i would bet most of them dont know the name of the band.

Another one that was great and got next to zero recognition is Great White. All they are known for is the club fire a few years back.

Btw....for any Tesla fans here....they are still putting out albums, their latest one Forever More kicks tons of ass.

12. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Blue Murder

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/EdtJuBj3yZM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  13. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

OUTSTANDING call there!!

I feel bad I didn't mention them, Sykes kills with BM. You sir, have great taste in music.

Thought of a couple more.
    Savatage and Dream Theater.

#13 Rockets2K, Feb 11, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  14. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

I like W.A.S.P 's 1st album

3 songs that really stood out to me

hellion
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/uZ1Wpq6lZe0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I wanna be somebody

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qPkUVOKmls0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

sleeping in the fire

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/fZ_Om_VI_hY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

What the hell are you guys talking about? Dio was one of the most famous singers of all time, had lots of success with Sabbath/Rainbow/Dio.

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Qq4j1LtCdww" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

I guess I have a different definition of underrated then some of you . I remember Tesla and Triumph both as bands that were extremely popular and sold out huge venues ... also remember them getting plenty of airplay

Under rated to me is a band like Mother Love Bone ... awesome band that most people not into rock never heard of ... everyone and their mothers know the words to magic power or fight the good fight

18. mikus

mikus Member

19. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Not really my wheelhouse, but I loved Skid Row as a kid. They were also pretty damn popular without being an overly campy hair metal band.

I probably haven't listened to them in 25 years, so who knows if I'd still like them today.

20. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I guess all these bands seem so irrelevant now, it's hard to remember when they were ever popular. I think in general that era of rock music is looked down upon and really did not age very well.