1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductees

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dandorotik, Dec 17, 2015.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No 2 live crew

2. GIGO

GIGO Member

Indeed. A light of greatness for the band has gone with Terry Kath in early 1978. They've never been the same again.

3. Raven

Raven Member

Chicago getting in is a joke. Deep Purple doesn't have enough hits to get in. Cheap trick barely makes the cut, but I wouldn't be pissed if they didn't. Steve Miller? He's got less than five hits. No way he should be in.

4. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

5. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Pardon my language, but you honestly have no idea what the **** you are talking about.

First, Steve Miller's hits- each of these either went to #1 on the Billboard charts or get played regularly on the radio:

1. The Joker- #1
    2. Fly Like an Eagle- #2
    3. Jet Airliner- constantly played on FM radio
    4. Take the Money and Run- see #3
    5. Rock N' Me- #1
    6. Jungle Love- see #3
    7. Abracadabra- #1
    8. Livin in the USA- frequently played, a bit less now
    9. Swingtown- see #3
    10. Space Cowboy- see #8

Not to mention his Greatest Hits album has sold over 16 million, which makes it one of the biggest-selling albums of all time.

Next, Deep Purple- classic rock hits, oh thats easy:

1. Smoke on the Water
    2. Space Truckin
    3. Highway Star
    4. Woman from Tokyo
    5. Hush
    6. Perfect Strangers
    7. Knocking at your Back Door

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is not only about the most popular artists- it's also about those artists who have influenced other artists (for example, William Faulkner was never a best-selling author, yet he's considered one of the greatest writers of all time. Martin Scorsese's films were very rarely blockbuster hits, yet he's considered one of the greatest directors of all time).

In terms of influence, nearly every single hard rock art that's come down the pike has cited Deep Purple as a major influence on them. It's not even questionable, it's a fact.

And then there's Cheap Trick. A band with a few hits, right? Actually, they've had multiple top 40 hits, including several in the top 10, and one of the biggest-selling live albums of all time.

And influence? OK, so Cheap Trick directly influenced arguably 3 of the most important bands in 3 separate decades- The Ramones, Guns N Roses, and Nirvana.

When you listen to this:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/N6M5mS1AAu4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And you listen to this, which came after that:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hT1OKo1rT84" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You know what I'm talking about.

These are the bands that have, in print, acknowledged Cheap Trick as an influence:

The Ramones, Blondie, Guns N Roses, Def Leppard, REM, Ratt, Motley Crue, Poison, Skid Row, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Foo Fighters, Soundgarden, Weezer, Stone Temple Pilots, Smashing Pumpkins, Fugazi, Hootie and the Blowfish, Marilyn Manson, The Replacements, Gin Blossoms, Urge Overkill, Anthrax, Mr. Big, Everclear, Extreme, Enuff Z’Nuff, Fountains of Wayne, Alice in Chains, Red Hot Chili Peppers, OK Go, Terrorvision, Kings of Leon, Husker Du, and Slipknot among multiple others.

Kurt Cobain saw this point himself. "I'm the first to admit that we're the Nineties version of Cheap Trick," he said once, and he constantly cited the influence on him of charmingly-named, if little-known British punk bands like the Raincoats and the Vaselines.

1 person likes this.
  6. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

GREAT post. While I am not a Steve Miller fan, that band was an undeniable hit machine. And anyone who can put together that informed an argument about the scope of Cheap Trick's influence must be applauded.

I absolutely love Cheap Trick and think they're severely underrated by the public. Great band.

7. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I was never a huge Cheap Trick fan. I always found the guitarist was dorky as hell. I don't deny his talent...just never cared for his look and his stupid looking guitars. But, there was that one teenage rebellion movie (forget the name) they had a couple songs on for the soundtrack for which any teenager growing up who had a wild side could identify with. You know...that phase where you didn't do what your parents said most of the time, stayed out partying and came in late, got into some trouble with the law, etc. . Looking back...the movie is kind of silly but it was just representative of that rebellious period growing up where you think you are invincible and do stupid stuff against the will of your parents and sometimes illegal.

No doubt Cheap Trick belongs in the RRHOF...even if I never bought one of their albums or cared to see them live.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

That would be Over The Edge, one of the greatest movies ever made. It's the movie that introduced me to Cheap Trick and Van Halen.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/s4ejxfhWiJA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sQRmdIeyDeo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. dandorotik

That is a fair assessment. Personally, I always liked the fact that they didn't conform to the typical punk or heavy metal look, yet they ****ing rocked it as hard as any of those bands. The visual is what made them unique, and the guitars are part of the act just as much as Kiss' Kabuki masks. But it's always nice when someone can critique like you without being incorrect.

If you ever considered buying one of their CDs, get the first one, if you like the 70s sound of Ramones, Clash, etc. If you're more into pop, get Heaven Tonight.

10. dandorotik

It's good to acknowledge influences, show respect to those before them.

Pearl Jam is very good about doing that, as well. One of their favorites is Neil Young. My friend told me about this video when Pearl Jam was playing a Neil Young song as their encore and Young joins them on stage (around the 3:30 mark)- and they had no idea he was going to do that. Imagine you're playing a song and the actual creator of the song surprises you on stage. That's some funny and cool stuff.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hvtdbfI1sqQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#30 dandorotik, Dec 17, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  11. Buck Turgidson

You suck at life.

12. Buck Turgidson

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/U2oHY4RapDY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. dandorotik

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uqOrM_VkhtY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RR4wCatQ-g8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rhYxqGMkXxU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#33 dandorotik, Dec 17, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  14. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

On Steve Miller, the dude was a rock icon years before Fly Like An Eagle became his seminal hit and his 'pop' evolution . This anthology album is from 1972 and covers his first 7 albums. (told this before but it was the first album my wife of 42 years and I bought together)

[​IMG]

Pull it up on Spotify and give it a listen. It's good solid hippie rock.

15. SuraGotMadHops

Cars should be in, no doubt.

16. dandorotik

Sir, I completely agree with you. Living in the USA and Space Cowboy were staples long before FLAE ever hit the radio.

Trivia: On that Anthology album, on the track My Dark Hour (which starts out with the same riff from FLAE), there is a credit for Paul Ramon on drums, bass guitar, and background vocals. That is Paul McCartney. And that pseudonym is where The Ramones got their name.

Anyway, here's the story behind that song:

The Beatles' earlier mixing session at Olympic had ended in acrimony when John Lennon, George Harrison and Ringo Starr had attempted to persuade Paul McCartney to sign a contract to officially appoint Klein as Apple's financial manager.

The other three Beatles had signed the contract on the previous day, but McCartney wanted to hold out. All four Beatles and Klein were present in the studio, but the session ended when all but McCartney walked out.

There was a big argument and they all went, leaving me at the studio. Steve Miller happened to be around: 'Hi, how you doing? Is the studio free?' I said: 'Well, it looks like it is now, mate.' He said: 'Mind if I use it?' So I ended up drumming on a track of his that night. It was called My Dark Hour – a good track actually. He and I made it alone. I had to do something, thrash something, to get it out of my system.

Glyn Johns had been producing an album for The Steve Miller Band. On this occasion Miller turned up at the studio alone, and McCartney found him a sympathetic listener. The pair jammed, with Glyn Johns in the control room, and a song eventually emerged.

Steve Miller happened to be there recording, late at night, and he just breezed in. 'Hey, what's happening, man? Can I use the studio?' 'Yeah!' I said. 'Can I drum for you? I just had a ****ing unholy argument with the guys there.' I explained it to him, took ten minutes to get it off my chest.

So I did a track, he and I stayed that night and did a track of his called My Dark Hour. I thrashed everything out on the drums. There's a surfeit of aggressive drum fills, that's all I can say about that. We stayed up until late. I played bass, guitar and drums and sang backing vocals. It's actually a pretty good track.

It was a very strange time in my life and I swear I got my first grey hairs that month. I saw them appearing. I looked in the mirror, I thought, I can see you. You're all coming now. Welcome.

McCartney recorded drums, bass guitar, backing vocals and guitar to the track. Miller sang and performed all the other instruments. My Dark Hour appeared on Miller's 1969 album Brave New World, and was released as a single in the US on 16 June, though it failed to chart.

McCartney didn't receive a composer credit, but his performance was attributed to Paul Ramon, the pseudonym he had used in 1960 while on a tour of Scotland with The Silver Beetles.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lT2JGBeew00" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  17. buffalobills!!!

Yes was close to the edge of getting inducted! Knowing the hall, probably not...

18. dandorotik

They should be in- I think more progressive rock groups will be inducted in the coming years. There used to be even more of a snobbery against these groups- heck, even Queen had dismal reviews in the Rolling Stone Record Guide, and look at how revered they are now. They are slowly getting away from the notion that you have to be a certain "type" of music in order to get into the Hall. What that also means, though, is that some rap acts have been and will be inducted under that same premise. And it should be that way- it should be the Music Hall of Fame, and it should include greats from R&R, soul, rap, jazz, the blues, and reggae. Maybe even classical, who knows?

19. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Just shocking to see Ritchie Blackmore didn't attend the RRHOF induction for the Deep Purple induction. I guess...per usual...the current band wouldn't perform with him. It sounded like the Deep Purple manager didn't want him there at all. Two current members weren't inducted. Honestly, I didn't even know this was still a band. But, Ritchie is synonymous with Deep Purple so that's BULLS__T anyway you cut it! I wish these guys could have worked it out to where they would perform with Ritchie. Too bad!

1 person likes this.
  20. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

It wasn't a surprise at all he said from jump he wasn't coming to the ceremony.