1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Royce White skips game and practice (UPDATE: White issues statement)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

So now he is seeing the doctor?

2. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

This is insane. I saw Royce as a good influence to everyone with anxiety and now he is just pushing it. Please Morey, Trade this kid or just let him go. The fans want him gone, the players probably want him gone, and I know the front office is pretty angered by him.

3. Outlier

Outlier Member

Guys, let's get #rocketfans #wehateRoyce trending...

4. CarolNYC

CarolNYC Contributing Member

Yeah, I'm no doctor either and I don't pretend to know a lot about his condition but I have a young....very young, 5 year old...nephew who suffers from anxiety disorder. It is very real and can be debilitating at times. A big part of what my nephew deals with is the control/lack of control issues and the way you explain it here, it does sound very plausible that Royce is dealing with something like that.

I do feel for the kid and I hate to sound unsympathetic because I do know how difficult something like this can be for someone to deal with....It may be totally unfair to say, but it does seem like he uses the disability as a crutch. It does seem like he's used to getting his way and can't deal when things don't work as he wants. You can't just say, well, man up! It's not that easy but he cannot expect to hold the whole Rockets organization hostage to his demands and he cannot be excused for any and all 'bad behavior' just because he's dealing with this illness...and this public fit he's been throwing for the last 24 hours certainly falls under the bad behavior label, IMO.

It's just an unfortunate situation all around.

On another, possibly totally unrelated note, Greg Smith tweeted this yesterday:
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Earned not given</p>&mdash; Gregory Smith (@Ju_Smith4) <a href="https://twitter.com/Ju_Smith4/status/268509118283780096" data-datetime="2012-11-14T00:22:17+00:00">November 14, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

5. GBRocket

GBRocket Contributing Member

Isn't this more him questioning the integrity/validity of the journalism rather than morey?

6. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

What? How is it "overtime", it isn't like he would be going to Rocket's practices and Viper practices. He is certainly being compensated with his normal pay check, and he actually gets playing time which could only help him compared to sitting on the bench in street clothes.

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Sad to see this go down like this. Royce may not be ready for this.

8. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Yeah, he just ruined any chance that any GM will want to work with him in the future.

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Could be talking about Alexander.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

When he says "the head Honcho won't speak" that's not calling out journalists...that's calling out whoever he thinks is the head Honcho...Les..Morey...McHale. doesn't matter which.

11. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

Sounds like a bad gamble in picking White. If he really expects to tell coaches he can't practice or can't go to the game because he has anxiety issues AND is not going to the team's shrink, then real bad drafting by the Rockets.

Almost as bad as Eddie Griffin :p

12. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Yup. This is why I'd suspend White before cutting him. Because if you cut him and let him hitch on with some theoretically terrible team with available playing time, you're giving him exactly what he wants. It's just like dealing with a child's temper tantrum... what kind of precedent does it set when the kid is rewarded for his behavior?

13. topfive

topfive CF OG

Sorry, but apart from a couple of spectacular passes, White showed next to nothing in the preseason. No outside shot, trouble creating sufficient space to work inside offensively, not a great rebounder or defender, etc. Sure, it's intriguing to have a PF with PG skills, but not if he can't really play PF all that well.

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Continued: Any comment by the @<a href="https://twitter.com/houstonrockets">houstonrockets</a> to say I've missed appointments is misdirection. I have been in contact. <a href="http://t.co/Ogc2VNdm" title="http://twitter.com/Highway_30/status/268756622560604160/photo/1">twitter.com/Highway_30/sta…</a></p>&mdash; Royce White (@Highway_30) <a href="https://twitter.com/Highway_30/status/268756622560604160" data-datetime="2012-11-14T16:45:47+00:00">November 14, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Royce White ‏@Highway_30
    Continued: Any comment by the @HoustonRockets to say I've missed appointments is misdirection. I have been in contact. pic.twitter.com/Ogc2VNdm

[​IMG]

16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

please take all the ROF's with you there :grin:

17. Convictedstupid

Holy ****.

Someone still uses aol?

1 person likes this.
  18. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

It's hard to say what he meant, because he questions the low validity, which does point to the journalism.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Royce is in no position to demand playing time given his handicap. The Rockets have accomodated him, and they owe him nothing in terms of opportunity. They will bring him into the fold as they see fit. If you're going to lean on your illness as a reason to not attend games/practices, then you run the risk of being placed on the back burner in terms of playing time since you are not up to speed with the program.

20. Convictedstupid

Lol. It's not misdirection Royce. Either you have been to the appointments or you haven't.

Talking to someone over email isn't the same as being treated.