1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Agree or disagree: this is by far the most disappointing season in Rockets history

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SuperMarioBro, Feb 11, 2016.

1. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Yeah, some of those lottery seasons sucked, but not much more was ever expected of those teams either because they were injured or because they were just too young and lacked the talent.

In fact, one could reasonably make the case that if it wasn't for injuries, the Rockets would literally have 29 or 30 consecutive winning [or non-losing] seasons heading into this year.

But this team? They come off of the best performance we've had in the past 20 years. They won 56 games despite missing their 2nd best player for half the season, and many others sporadically throughout. They won arguably the toughest division in NBA history, finishing 2nd place in the conference. Their best player had an MVP-caliber season and was playing both sides of the ball. They made the WCF and lost a relatively hard-fought series against the eventual champions despite being down two key starters. THEN they plugged was was ostensibly the biggest hole in the lineup by acquiring Ty Lawson. We all had every reason to have sky-high hopes going into this season... And now they're ****ing UNDER .500.

Just epically frustrating and disappointing.

... And that's not even to mention exactly HOW they've been losing games. Don't even get me started on how frustrating it is just to watch this team play...

2. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

And yeah, I know we have enough negative threads around here, but I'm genuinely curious if you guys think there were any worse seasons... I was talking about this with a couple friends, and it kinda blew my mind when I first had this thought given all the ups and downs we've had, but I think it's true.

3. RoxDaBeard

RoxDaBeard Member

4. Caesar

Caesar Member

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

This'll is disappointing but I'd count the year Les promised "One of the great teams ever assembled" that then went on to win 33 games as worse. I think it was Francis rookie year.

Expectations were high this year, especially by me, I figured 58 wins, but I take some little consolation in that, even if the Rockets won 60 games this year, they'd be 3rd or 4th in the West and unlikely to even make the WCF.

SA and GSW are historically great this year. Last year was probably the window.

6. s3ts

s3ts Member

it's about relativity. a lot of people were saying we'll be top-4 in the WC, and be contending for a long time. instead we're about to go through an ugly divorce with D12 and Harden within 6 months of said predictions, with no playoff run in sight.

in my short Rockets history, i can remember 09-10 season. that was depressing as well, but with the amount of injuries in Yao and the demoralized TMac that we know, i saw it coming. this season, i thought we'd at least make Semi-Finals of WC again, and basically this is not happening this season.

7. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

The thing is that the Rockets looked like THEY would be historically great this year. They looked like they would have won over 60 games even last year if they stayed healthy, and then they added Ty Lawson and seemingly fixed what was their most obvious weakness last season.

I think if we even halfway lived up to our potential, we would match up pretty well with the Spurs and Warriors, even though both would likely be the favorites in that scenario.

8. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

It's up there only because I really thought as did many that this was our best chance at a title since Hakeem and the 09 team with Yao.

Looking back on Howard's tenure here seeing as it's coming to an end. The best chance we had at a title was that first yeat with dwight. That team was the most talented and was highly skilled Offensivly. The west was also wide open that year and we had the Spurs number that year who eventually won the whole thing.

I believe Damian lillard killed the rockets from that point on and looks to have ended howards Houston stay last night. Since that shot we have made poor roster decisions. We gave up on young talent in parsons for aging guys like ariza and brew.

Looking back on it that was a mistake. I'm sure our defense could have been top 10 with parsons last year because his last season here we were ranked 12th which Wasnt far off.

It's funny because when you think about it the rockets heading into last season were picked by everyone to be a 7-8-9 seed yet we finished number 2. Fast foward to now with the same roster and we are exactly that.

I think the talent outside of harden and howard is just not good enough and morey is the main one at fault. It's better to be 55+ wins with a shot than holding out hope with cap space for a 3rd star that never came.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Anyone remember the late 80s ROCKETs?

I don't, but they went to the finals in 86 then imploded

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

But that's just it.

The first ever 60 win Rockets team would maybe be good for a first round HCA and then a beat down by one of two 70+ win juggernauts.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Agree.

Serious statement: This season has been a life-changer for me. My enthusiasm for the Rockets and the NBA has been killed.

Before the NBA strike, I watched 2-3 hours of NBA action nightly whether the Rockets played or not. There were very few people here more addicted to NBA action than I was. It affected my sleep pattern and everything else.

Now that I don't care much anymore, life has improved. The 2011 NBA lockout and the 2015 Rockets meltdown turned out to be a very good thing.

Thinking back on past years, I was nuts. James Harden and Houston Rockets, I owe you one. Thanks for helping me see things more clearly.

1 person likes this.
  12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Not really...look at the records in the league.... .500 isn't a horrible thing this year, it's just not what we expected. We're only like 7-8 games back of where we should be.

that 28-54 season, which IIRC was when we had all those injuries, was worse.

13. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

14. underrated015

underrated015 Member

this season feels like a prison sentence. yes.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Agreed....

DD

16. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Need a poll!

I think the Pippen season was more disappointing because it represented the end of the road for the old guard.

17. bballjunkie

bballjunkie Member

Agree. Your post sums up how I feel this year. I don't even watch some of the Rockets games now. I used to never miss a game.

18. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I don't think you're understanding me. I'm saying there was reason to believe that if things worked out, the Rockets could have been one of those near-70-win juggernauts themselves, at least in a best-case scenario. Besides which, I don't think those teams (especially the Spurs) are impenetrable. I would certainly not bet on the Spurs even winning 70+ at this point. I'd say around 65 seems likely. And that's about where I saw the Rockets being if everyone stayed motivated and healthy.

Hah, I can feel you on that... I've been there, though I toned it down before this year started. Not with you on blaming James, though. He's been disappointing, but he's still by far the best thing we have going for us. This team is a mess from top to bottom.

You and I have different definitions of "disappointing". I'm not saying it's the WORST season ever, but it's the most disappointing specifically because of the disparity between the reality and our expectations. That 28-win season was bad, but the team wasn't supposed to be any better. And they actually gave us reason to be hopeful for the next year, too.

19. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

86-87

1 person likes this.
  20. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Nah.. absolutely not.