1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ex-Rockets Kyle Lowry writes about his time with Ex-Rockets Coach Kevin McHale

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsFido, Feb 11, 2016.

1. hooroo

hooroo Member

I was used to Rick Adelman not giving a damn where I picked up on defense, and suddenly Kevin McHale was making me pick up full court.

:eek::eek::eek:

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Well I always thought that Lowry probably wouldn't have come back even if Morey made him an offer because of his issues with McHale. Turns out that there was no issues with McHale by that time.

I'd much rather have Lowry than Melo. Damn!

1 person likes this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lowry had some extreme growing pain issues....with that female ref (battery)

tuning out McHale lol but I like him over Harden or Dragic :grin:

4. rockets belle

rockets belle Member

I disagree. Based on the quote below I think he realized that he was immature and stubborn. McHale was like the stepdad who suddenly came to the picture. Nothing he say or do will make Lowry like him because he is replacing his dad. It also doesn't help that the stepdad is stricter.

"Looking back, the issue wasn’t even about Coach McHale, really. My frustration was from losing Rick Adelman, whom Coach McHale replaced during the offseason before my last year in Houston. I had grown to trust Rick with every call, and just as importantly, it felt like he trusted me from the start. When I was traded from Memphis to Houston in 2009, he played me 15 minutes in my first game, even though I’d been with the team less than 24 hours. Rick was just a laid-back coach who let players learn on their own and coached them when they needed to be coached. There were definitely expectations, but generally, he let me figure out how to meet those expectations."

5. hooroo

hooroo Member

lowry was traded to houston from memphis in the first place because of his immaturity and his growing negative presence in the grizz locker room at the time. he lost his starting place and felt he deserved to start there.

6. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

I think Harden should read this, then go look in the mirror. Think about how he is screwing up this team. Morey should read this and think damn sometimes these coaches being hard asses to these players does work if you give it time.

I think Morey is a great deal maker but a terrible manager of relationships. The past examples includes Van Gundy, K-Martin, Aldelman, Mchale, and currently he is fumbling the Howard/Harden relationship. All this manuevering and Harden still may not commit to play defense and until you get a serious PG he is not going to give up the ball.

7. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

Really enjoyed this article.

8. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Too bad what the Rockets have instead is Harden, Howard, and a future lotto pick right now. When you already have Harden and Howard, and you have a player of Lowry's caliber open to signing, you don't tell him to wait around until overpriced inferior players make up their minds. You take the first one willing to commit because there are no guarantees in free agency.

9. dmoneybangbang

Hindsight is always 20/20. If we so choose we can have about $40 million in cap space next season by simply letting Howard and Lawson walk. Our situation isn't all gloom and doom.

I stand by my statement:

A Harden, Parsons, Bosh, and Howard core is better than what you wish would have happened if your goal is to compete now for a championship.

10. TheFreak

I don't really care if you stand by some fantasy or not. I could choose any 4 guys I want and say it's better than reality, but that doesn't really mean much. What I can say is that Lowry, Harden and Howard would have had a good shot at a title last year. That's not hindsight at all, plenty of people were saying it at the time.

11. TheFreak

I guess no one felt the need to correct this crap from a known Adelman grudge-holder who has taken numerous personal shots at him in the past. Adelman last went to the WCF in 2002. So no, it hasn't been 25 years since he did what McHale just did.

1 person likes this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

And yet here you are bemoaning "what ifs".

In the real world, we had a pretty good shot at the title last year minus Bosh, Parsons, and Lowry. We can talk about more fantasies and speculate about what if we were healthy going into the playoffs.

And plenty of people were "dancing in the streets" when it was reported that Bosh verbally committed to the Rockets before Miami unloaded a massive, long-term contract.

Smart chess players, investors, and business don't bemoan the pieces they lost or could have, they take inventory and plan for the next move.

13. TheFreak

Well that's good to know (I guess?). :confused:

I guess if you're measured by that criteria, you can never fail.

Call me crazy, but I thought we were in the world of sports, where you're measured by wins and losses.

14. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

McHale’s coaching style is exactly like his playing style: hard-nosed, rugged, up in your face. It’s about team, team, team, and doing whatever it takes to be the best teammate possible. He pushed each player hard to make his team the best. But I didn’t know how to interpret his style. I didn’t understand his philosophy.

---------------

What a bunch of bull crap.

If Mchale is really what he described, he won't be sipping lemonade on NBATV now, instead of coaching this team.

No, he push you because you are just a borderline pg starter/ backup at that time and playing like crap.

When it is James Harden, Mchale will definitely not doing the same.

15. dmoneybangbang

People don't lose in chess? Businesses don't fail? People don't lose money in the stock market. It's a philosophy not an indication of success as losing is inevitable.

Call me crazy, but I thought we were in the world of sports, where you're measured by wins and losses.[/QUOTE]

So you can't respond to anything else huh?

So how have the Rockets done in the last 15 years in "wins" and "losses"? I bet we are over .500, in fact I know we are. Even better since Morey has been GM and mandated not to lose/tank.

You want to move the goal posts to playoff wins and championships? Mavs had one of this generation's greatest PFs in Dirk and managed one ring and a bunch of playoff series. It's very tough to be good in the NBA and even tougher to win it all.

16. Ubigman

Ubigman Member

would you rather have rick or lowry right now

17. dmoneybangbang

I'd rather have Kevin Love. We don't need two all star primary ball handlers as there is only 1 ball to share over 48 minutes.

Rick Adelman did good in his time with the Rockets but personal issues (wife's health) and just maybe a lack of heart in his tenure of the TWolves was underwhelming despite some talent on that team.

18. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Lowry, I think Rick is done with basketball and has been ever since Houston let him go.

19. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

It's a good thing we have people like you around to correct this stuff with your inside information. Where would we be if we didn't have internet warriors and their vitriolic opinions on this website? Oh, probably amicable and even keeled...