1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is the next Charles Oakley?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by beyao, Nov 24, 2004.

1. beyao

beyao Contributing Member

Whoever he is, you can bet the Rox will be looking to acquire his services. We all know VG is not the most creative coach out there...he's a bit like Bush Jr. in that when he believes in something, nothing will change his mind, except that at least VG has somewhat of a successful track record to base his beliefs on.

That said, VG was with the Knicks when they had a star center and a bruising, defensive minded, enforcer-type power forward who can spot up and hit the open J with consistency. The combo worked very well, and would likely have led to championships if it wasn't for a certain 2 guard.

I believe this is why we will never acquire a Tyson Chandler, Stromile type PF because they don't bring the qualities VG is searching for from his long term solution at PF. That being the case, what player out there does fit this bill? As I look around the league, I don't see anyone who truly resembles Oak...Boozer is somewhat close, but it's doubtful he'd lay wood on guys who are out to rough up Yao, as Oak did to guys who looked to cheap shot Ewing.

IMO, I think we may need to mine the euro leagues and minor leagues of the US to find someone who may have been overlooked because he doesn't light up the score board. Mickey Moore came from the NBDL and is achieving some success this season as a center/PF...there must be a bruising, athletic PF somewhere in the world who would know his role and do EXACTLY what VG wants for a shot at the NBA...

2. bob718

bob718 Contributing Member

Houston Knicks:p

3. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

My guess would be someone like a Ben Wallace. Not an excact match but somewhat. However, we will never get him.

4. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Brad Miller... Unfortunately, he's unavailable.

Maybe Nick Collison?

5. Charvo

Charvo Member

I suggest trading with teams that aren't doing too well. Seattle has the best record in the league. I sincerely doubt they want to break up the chemistry they have.

6. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I didn't say anything about trading for him, just that he may develop into an Oakley-type player. Still, at this point he's not making any real contributions to the Supes sunccess (2pts, 3boards, 30% shooting in 11 minutes), and may be available.

7. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

In a recent radio talkshow, JVG agreed that this team needs a tough PF who can take some pounding off Yao.

So it is not that they don't want to make a trade, just they haven't been able to. I won't be surprised at all if sth happens very soon.

I'd rather to keep Mo, because he seems playing harder now and his contract will be over in two years while Howard is much older and still has 5 years left on his contract (even his salary is more reasonable).

8. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

I've said it many times before, and I'll continue to say it. Jerome Williams would do a lot of good things for this team.

9. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

wayne simien should be available mid-late first round.

10. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

that's my cousin :)

11. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

when you can't beat 'em...become them...

...what??! :confused:

12. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

I completly agree. He is exacly the type of player we need. However isnt is contract kind of brutal?

13. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

D. Marshall will be a free agent next summer!:)